Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered 2006 SLK55 AMG
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I need some advice
I' like to buy a 2005 or 2006 .Is there anything particular I should be aware of before pulling the trigger? I live in Atlanta/Georgia
Any input is appreciated
Cheers

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,614 Posts

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,407 Posts
Only issues are running costs, insurance.
Everything else is smile related.

Do not expect a cheap to run car.
For it's performance level it is cheap to run. That is the key.

If budget is tight go and get a quote for A and B service.
Also get a quote for disc and pad replacement.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Overall, I would look at the normal things you would look at in a used car. I would budget your maintenance costs higher if you don't DIY. Tires should be part of that. I don't drive too aggressive and I had to change the rears once. I have 23000 miles. Only reason I mention it is because most cars I've had, all tires last at least 30k miles. BMW I had before last 50k.

Other than that, car has been a joy to own. Smiles ear-to-ear when cruising or when driving agressively. Hope this helps.

·
Registered 2005 SLK55 AMG
34 Posts
You wont regret it, I picked up my 2005 SLK55 May 5th. I am not far from you. Huntsville, AL. Some issues, valve cover gasket and probably spark plugs. Other wise all is well. The sound, and butt dyno reaction is worth it.
Handling is pretty good for a heavy car. My other car is a Mazda Speed Miata, about 1000 lbs lighter.
Good luck in your search

·
Registered
463 Posts
Mine is an '06 I picked up in 2014 with 37k. From experience and reading SLKW, these are common failure points. When I replaced:

Trunk and Hood supports (38k)
Idler Pulley & Serp. Belt (38k)
Battery (38k)
Water Pump (45k)
Roof Control Servos (50k)
Harmonic Balancer (55k)
Brake pads & rotor turn 4 corners (58k)
Valve Cover Gaskets (I got lucky, mine still sealing)

On the brakes, I'm in the midst of dealing with them now. Considering the condition of the rotors, the PO must have done a front pad slap sometime before my purchase. So I might end up having to replace them instead of just turning them..

Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,317 Posts
Timing chain tensioner? Mine is making a rattly sound upon startup (I can't hear it--high pitched--but my mech mentioned it and thought it might be that). 65K km.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
27,407 Posts
Patience gets the reward.

It's well worth seeing multiple cars to get to the colour, options and deal that you want.

Fingers crossed.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,614 Posts
Great! what you get? a 55? :D you need the datacard?

please update this when you get it

Vehicle: Looking / Crossfire Roadster

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.