Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 SLK55 (not stock) vs 2007 Audi RS4 (dunno)

I was driving home top down tonight on a two lane when I notice this blue Audi passing cars behind me like a complete azzhat. He was basically playing leapfrog jumping from the right to left to right lane with his foot to the floor.

Then he rolled up behind me and tried the same thing as we were both rolling at about 50 mph. Nuh uh, I don't think so. I had no idea what sort of Audi it was but I floored it. He eventually pulled back into the right lane......behind me. I was pulling away the whole time. Not drastically but steadily. Whoa.....this ain't a minivan you're trying to pass pal.

He took the next turn behind me and stayed behind me until the end of that road where he went right and I went left. He did give me a grudging wave but the face said he was pissed he'd found something he couldn't beat up on like minivans and SUV's. I imagine I'd have done a bit better with the top buttoned up. Sorry dude.

Anyway, as we parted company I got a look at his rear badging, Audi RS4. I didn't know much about the car so I looked it up when I got home. My best guess is that it was an 07 or 08. I don't think he had a chance from a roll. It has a normally aspirated V8 like our cars but it's lugging around 4,000 lbs and the losses from an AWD system. Output is 420 horsepower but only 317 lb/ft of torque. My car (according to EuroCharged) should be making about 380 hp and 400 lb/ft of torque but with only 3,400 lbs to haul around. Also the Audi has a 6 speed manual vs the 7G-Tronic in our cars. The exhaust note wasn't particularly intoxicating either. Didn't sound like much at all.

The magazines say the 07 RS4 is anywhere from a 4.6 - 4.8 second 0-60 car stock while the 06 SLK55 recorded around 4.3. And the Audi probably enjoys an advantage from a stop to 60 because of the AWD. But from a roll, 600 additional pounds, higher frictional losses, and 20% less torque takes a much bigger toll and AWD can't compensate. My SLK55 may be a hair quicker than stock at possibly 4.2 seconds now. So the slow pull on the Audi sounds right. Puny Audi, stick to bullying minivans.

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts
You mean how do you drive in M mode?

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
When doing my AMG experience day at Mercedes World Brooklands, my instructor's advice was a common sense approach of not being too aggressive initially from a standing start, ie get it moving first with about half throttle then floor it as soon as moving. Was in sport mode.

What was interesting was he showed me this approach didn't appear to be a million miles away from the launch control procedure.

I find it works well on mine :smile:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts