Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my supercharge clutch is going bad on my r170 (230) and i was thinking about the pulley upgrade when it hit me ! we do the upgarde to make the supercharge spin faster right ? so why dont i save my self the troble and just put a smaller clutch pulley on the supercharge ?? that way every thing on the engine will spin at the normal speed but the supercharge am i on to some thing here (( a cheap thing might i add ^^ )) ??:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Its been done before,(on face lift models) i don't think there is a smaller S/C pulley for the pre face lift models. Most guys just do the crank pulley.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been done before,(on face lift models) i don't think there is a smaller S/C pulley for the pre face lift models. Most guys just do the crank pulley.
well im low on $$ :> so if i could do both fix the pulley + get more boost for cheapo i would be happy like a puppy ^^ do you think a normal AC clutch from other cars might work just as fine ?? coz im not paying 300$ + on that clutch !!! if im lucky i might find one that fits ((smaller and from another car )) for much much less like 30$ or so .

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you change smaller SC pulley to get more boost then you would have to lose the SC clutch too. Since your SC clutch is bad, you don't have to worry about that. Here's the company the make smaller SC pulley for your car.

http://www.dynospotracing.com/charts/C230.html
so what your saying here is that i should just get a pulley with no clutch on it at all ??? is that safe ?? wouldnt that hurt the SC ??? and do you think i can put what every pulley that fits on that ??? (( size aside )) ?? :confused: ? if so FU merc :butt: xD

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ya one more thing !! how much PSI is safe for the engine to take from the s/c ?? i heard 14psi is safe and max for the m62 sc !

·
Registered
500 Posts
so what your saying here is that i should just get a pulley with no clutch on it at all ??? is that safe ?? wouldnt that hurt the SC ??? and do you think i can put what every pulley that fits on that ??? (( size aside )) ?? :confused: ? if so FU merc :butt: xD

What I'm saying is that, since your SC clutch is bad, why spent $300 to get it fix when you can use that money toward the pullies kit upgrade from Dynospotracing that does not need the oem SC clutch for more power.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't really know exactly how much boost can run on stock engine but your SC are max out at around 11-12 psi.
really i heard ppl runing it at 14-16 ?? and one more thing i heard that they might have ported it what is that means (( nooby here ^^ ))

·
17,144 Posts
I have the ASP crank pulley with an oversize intercooler and related hoses and im only getting 10psi. The 10psi is the norm for this type of Mod, i'm sure you can get more if your willing to spend tons on money but to me its not worth it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the ASP crank pulley with an oversize intercooler and related hoses and im only getting 10psi. The 10psi is the norm for this type of Mod, i'm sure you can get more if your willing to spend tons on money but to me its not worth it.
yes the money need to go in to a new intercooler . but with crank pulley and sc pulley its easy to get 14psi out of it and i think kind of cheap too . but the thing is well the engine take all the psi with ease ? or well it blow up on me :S ?

·
17,144 Posts
yes the money need to go in to a new intercooler . but with crank pulley and sc pulley its easy to get 14psi out of it and i think kind of cheap too . but the thing is well the engine take all the psi with ease ? or well it blow up on me :S ?
Sorry i don't have that answer for you.

·
Registered
500 Posts

You can overspin the SC by running it more then 12 psi but you're not going to make much more power because you're overheating the SC.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DO it and let us know what happens. Cheaper sounds good to me. Let us know how much difference in performance it makes. :usa:
from this point the performance well be gr8 ! since mine was broken from day one :p it and some other small parts like gearbox/head gasket and such :p then good thing is the radio on the car works !!! but not the cassette xD damn it i bought a lemon :< anyways i would see how much better it is and post back in here ^^

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.