Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle lights on new style mirrors.

4K views 17 replies 2 participants last post by  Col 
#1 ·
Hi all

I have just had fitted a new set of 2008 mirror covers with the new arrow style indicators, but I would like to wire in the new puddle lights.

Has anyone done this and any guides available?

Cheers all.

#2 ·
I've got mine piggy backed onto the cable for the courtesy lights in the lower door using scotch locks. If fitted, they plug into the door control module on each side. They are accessible through the removable cover in the door card. They come on when opening the doors.

#3 ·
Hi Col,

I had considered that as an option.... but wanted to hook them u so they faded in and out when opening doors. Do both come on when you open one door, or just the one on the door you're opening? Do you have apic of the wires you tapped in to please?

cheers

#4 · (Edited)
Just the open door mirror will light wiring them like this. I don't have a pic but if you search for threads about puddle led ghost lights I think there is a photo on here showing the door module. If I recall correctly its the 4th connector from the front of the module that you need.

Hopefully someone else will chime in to confirm this or state the correct one!

Do you have the courtesy/puddle lights enabled/fitted?

Others have possibly taken the wires through the door into the cabin and tapped into the interior light circuit, so that both come on when unlocking at night but they also come on when opening the doors.

#6 ·
I didn't fancy it because I have my mirrors folded on lock so they don't deploy until you open the door!

Already have plenty of lights coming on when unlocking, so didn't see the point in wiring to the interior light.

Will be difficult ish getting through the door gaiter and more trim would have to come off to locate the interior light wiring.

#10 ·
The dcm is at the top corner of the door nearest the dashboard. I managed to to this without removing the door card just the sail panel (triangular bit behind the mirror) and the removable panel in the door card itself. It's tight but doable. Will be difficult if you have large hands though!

#11 ·
Hi Col,

A bit more advice if you don't mind.

I have tapped the puddle lights in to the door wiring loom at the bottom and I am happy that everything works fine with the new connection etc. However, the puddle lights simply do not work on the mirrors! They work occasionally but they are very dull etc.

Have i missed something here, is there a loading issue with the LED bulbs in the mirror, if so...any ideas on how i need to fix it?!

#12 ·
Nothing wrong with connecting them to the wiring lower down. The only thing that comes to mind is that your existing door puddle light bulbs are drawing most of the current and making your new leds in the mirror seem dim. Do you have standard bulbs in the door lights or leds?

#14 ·
If they work intermittently, I'd guess either the connection is not made perfectly or the lights themselves could be faulty. Can't remember if the puddle light operation is controlled by the light sensor. If it is the lights will not come on in daylight.

#16 ·
Yes I installed mine. If you're sure everything is wired correctly and you've not blown a fuse or something daft like that, it's looking like the LEDs in the mirrors could be defective. Double check everything. Are you able to test the Leds off the car from a 12v supply or battery?

#17 ·
Slightly ashamed of myself here!

No one told me there is a daylight sensor in the LED light itself!!! It all works fine.... just checked it in the dark....!!!

Cheers for all your help!

PS - I used to live in nottingham..... Im up in a few weeks time to see friends.... do you ever have a meet up there at all?

#18 ·
No worries. Glad it's all sorted. I wasn't aware the mirrors had sensors in too, so I'll check mine. We have get togethers all the time round here. Let me know when you're in the area and we'll see if something can be arranged. Lots of 55 owners round here too, so with a bit of notice could potentially get a few together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.