Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered 1998 SLK230
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The PSE on my car is non serviceable, the motor has heated to the point that the bush melted the surrounding plastic and fell out.
The circuit board is totally corroded from water.
I've found a replacement part but the part number is slightly different.
My pump: 1708000548
Advertised part: 1708000848
For a 1998 SLK230.
Now I'm not sure the pump I have is original because it has a label with a number that could indicate someone has repaired it prior or
it could be a replacement part.

Any chance this new pump would be compatible?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator (UK)
30,685 Posts

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
Hi!
I would like to continue this thread referring to equivalences and know if you can mount a lower number than the one that our vehicle carries. My name is A1708000548, could you mount a lower one and specifically the A2108000648?
according to: FG 170.447 - VACUUM PUMP AND CONNECTOR > Mercedes EPC Online > nemigaparts.com
If possible
I have read in other threads previously that after checking the numbering of other slk 230s and verifying that they had the A2108000648 and when asking at their dealerships, they were informed that it was a substitute for the .... 548.
Why am I interested in this pump?
In our slk the pumps are located in the lower part of the trunk and I run the risk of buying a used one with sulphation problems, while the 210 ... normally they belong to the W 210, their location is under the rear seat.
connection problems:
if it is really compatible, the connections are different power connection pump 170 .... four aligned connections, pump 210 ... four even connections 2 2
data connections (photos attached) 170 .... photo connection 1
210 .... photo 2
thanks in advance and I hope this question is of interest to more members of the group.
Greetings

Attachments

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts

I have followed these two threads, I have read something else about encodings but I cannot clarify or specify anything

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
other threads

but without solution.
Well I'll be alone in the face of danger

·
Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
4,168 Posts
When replacing any Module, New or Used, on any MB Vehicle, the job is not done correctly without having SDS machine and Checking Version Codings are correct for the vehicle spec ..............

If not use the SDS to adjust the Version Coding to suit the Vehicle.

It is not good enough to simply say "everything is working so there isn't a problem" there may be items VC'd as present which are not and that can cause unforseen issues, which may not surface immediately.

No other Machine will do this unless it cost at least 4 times the ~ £500 for a decent SDS System

HTH ;)

·
4,168 Posts
Mercedes Technology is always about 10 to 15 years ahead of the regular Cars, my 2002 W220 S Class has much cool goodies on it that you only see on regular Cars that are 2014 and upwards ...........

That is what makes MB's so doggone great, but also why many many good mechanics and DIY'ers simply don't understand them ;)

I know for a fact there are a few guys on this very Forum who still think their Car just has one ECU which runs the Motor, never mind CAN Comms ;)

BTW, I have seen extensive Video Footage of a fully Autonomous W220 S Class driving around Stuggart in 2004, in the early hours of the morning with a rather gorgeous German woman sat at the drivers seat enjoying the ride, no input at all from her ;)

Other lesser Car marques didn't even know what full autonomy was back then ;)

That is why the 2017 up Cars with the tech are so darned good, compared to the Volvo's and Citroens of today that keep crashing into stuff, even just with semi autonomy.

I drove both a 2017 E Class and a 2018 Volvo for over 3000 miles and the MB was spot on, I had complete trust in it, where the Volvo scared the :poop: outta me a few times, so I switched it all off ;)
I swore the Volvo would have hit things if I hadn't intervened, and lo and behold, just a few months later the press got hold of a few stories of Volvo's that had hit lorries etc ;)

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
I have already solved the problem of the SDS machine and I would like to go back to the subject and treat it properly without deviating from the question in question. It is possible to install an A2108000648 pump where the A1708000548 is originally fitted. I repeat: "the connection terminals are compatible and the pumps are compatible", I hope these answers are not exclusive to MB bankers. I'll keep working on it!

·
4,168 Posts
I would like to go back to the subject and treat it properly without deviating from the question in question.
:rolleyes: You were the one who mentioned technology on a 22 year old car !!

I repeat: "the connection terminals are compatible and the pumps are compatible"
?????????????????

Your own photos above suggest that the Plugs / Wiring will be different between 210 and 170 PSE :confused:

If the Wiring Plugs fit it then they may be compatible, looks like you'll be the pioneer on swapping in an old E Class PSE which is not listed as a suitable part number for the R170 !!

However, as I advised you earlier, any PSE even same part number will need the Version Coding at very least checking with SDS !!

Please post up the outcome if it is suitable when you've tried it, I'm sure many folks will be interested :)

·
4,168 Posts
Taken from links you posted ................

Author @Tolak looked extensively at it, and concluded it doesn't work ..................

W210 PSE in R170 SLK

Interesting that you have this part, and that it is listed as applicable (per the MB dealer) for your R170.
I have a 210-800-10-48 almost ready to check in the place of my missing 170-800-02-48 (or similar), so will be able to give you a more conclusive feedback.
The person who gave it to me says it works on a 210, but didn't on his 170, so I'm doing basic checks before I try it on my SLK.

Of course, the inoperative dome light may be a symptom of the mis-match, but many would be happy with that minor problem, and have worse issues with the correct PSE.

There will be many people interested in this option!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My 210 PSE doesn't work in my R170

doutor said:
well, i´m checking the dome light and it works wheel. The switch on the driver door was broken. Everything works fine. i will take a picture of it and post here.
I'm really pleased for you that you have manged to get your 210 PSE working, complete with dome light.:tu:

I'm not happy that I tried a 210 PSE in my R170 this evening, and got nothing!🇹🇩
When you look at your PSE, is it wired directly into the normal wiring harness, or is there some adapter cable between the car and the PSE?
Any info you can determine would be most appreciated, before I have to tear this 210 PSE to bits to confirm that it does actually work as described.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Research results

Compared the wiring diagrams for the W210 and R170 PSEs, and you come to realise the pin-outs between the PSEs are quite different.
For example, the R170 uses 1.8 and 1.9 for the CAN bus, and W210 uses 1.9 and 1.10.
And the W210 uses the main CAN bus, whereas the R170 has a sub-bus to the N10-3.

So I come to doubt that the W210 PSE can be used on the R170.

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
according to nemigaparts: FG 170.447 / Mercedes EPC spare parts catalog if compatible.
and really if the connections are different
Also in the compatibility list for my nemigaparts vehicle my original pump number does not appear ... 548.
from what I observe there are many errors. How to play it
Conclusion ......... I do not play it without security

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
"f the Wiring Plugs fit it then they may be compatible, looks like you'll be the pioneer on swapping in an old E Class PSE which is not listed as a suitable part number for the R170 !! "

If it's on the list, that's why my interest and my confusion
Sin título.jpg

·
4,168 Posts
That site cannot even get the Part Numbering system right, not sure I'd trust it ;)

MB p/n's are always xxx xxx xx xx so like 170 800 01 35 etc etc.

Just get the correct PSE as quoted in mercedes EPC, preferably the latest Revision Number ;)

That will save you a whole heap of grief ;)

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
108 Posts
The E-Class PSE does work in a R170.
I'm running one in mine. Didn't do Version Coding or anything, as when I swapped it in I had no knowledge of SDS and VC's. One day soon I'll connect my SDS and VC all the modules that have been replaced.
Next time I'm at the boot of my car, I'll grab the actual P/N of the PSE I'm using for you.

Cheers
Jay

·
4,168 Posts
I'm running one in mine.
Perhaps you could expand upon this, maybe post up the Part Number, and exact model of E class, there are lots of different ones ;) ...................

Certainly the pictures of the SLK and E Class PSE's that Miguel posted have different Wiring Plugs and different Wiring Pin outs, confirmed by @Tolak who actually tried it in depth ;)

Clearly only a job for an advanced DIY'er assuming the Communincation Protocols are the same, which if the 2 Cars are similar Model years then it's very possible they would be ;)

·
* Registered 1998 SLK230
27 Posts
I'm running one in mine. Didn't do Version Coding or anything, as when I swapped it in I had no knowledge of SDS and VC's. One day soon I'll connect my SDS and VC all the modules that have been replaced.
Next time I'm at the boot of my car, I'll grab the actual P/N of the PSE I'm using for you.

Cheers
Arrendajo
[/CITAR]
I am very interested in knowing the number of your pump.
Thank you very much for your input
Greetings
Miguel

·
Registered 1997 SLK230
314 Posts
My 1997 SLK230 has a PSE with a 210 part number so presumably it was also fitted in the W210 E Class of that era. It is correct and appears original as an EPC look up for my VIN shows a 210 part number not a 170.

Full details are toward the end of this thread.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

·
Registered 1996 SLK230
108 Posts
Here is a pic of me PSE's part number.
Please bear in mind that my car is a Pre-Facelift with only one vacuum connector and 2 smallish wiring plugs.
I'll get a pic of the top of my PSE when I get home tonight.

Cheers
Jay

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts