Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, Thought everything was going sweet until the vacuum locking pump (PSE) failed. It's not the motor,dry joints or anything obvious but it did get oil spilled when a hydraulic line was cut close by. So unless I can get it repaired or replaced I have to manually lock everything.

One question is:
Do I have to obtain the EXACT part number. Some say yes and others say no! These's aren't cheap so I don't want to make an expensive error. I'm happy with a used or new one at a fair price. Can anyone help with info or supply?

1998 SLK 230 R170 PSE Part number 1708000548

Cheers from Australia
Barry

·
Administrator/Founding Member since 2006
101,317 Posts
moving to r170 general discussion

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
While I haven't bought this exact part, the M-B Electronic Parts catalog is designed to take your VIN# and then to tell you the exact part #'s for your car. They also list all of the previous generations of the part with #'s. Thus if you can share your VIN# we can look and at a minimum tell you what EPC says.

Reactions: fly1705

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops....sorry. I should have known that a VIN is perhaps more important.
Here it is: WDB1704472F087564

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you so much. From what I can ascertain my Vin links in with part number ten. This numbered Pump actually has two options with different numbers than apparently should do the job? I read somewhere that a 648 worked in place of my 548 however it's prefix of 210 instead of 170 has got me stumped. The optional 848 that has extra pinned sockets that I can't fill is also of concern. Maybe either or both really work...just need a little more confirmation or I'll just have to take a punt. My local city (Brisbane) Mercedes centre never had my part number in any record at all! I thought life was a challenge....

·
Registered
33 Posts
From my experience on my previous R170 when i had the same issue with the pse unit, i took the number that was engraved on one side of the module and i started a search thru ebay and local dealers. The problem is that although the car model was the same and the equipment also, (i mean that the PSE on my previous R170 was controlling the locks only) as my current R170, on the previous model (1996) there was only 1 air outlet goin out of the module, but on the current car (1998) there are 2 or more. So my advice is that you have first of all to find a good electronic guy who will have the time and the will to try to repair the PSE, or
try to buy a used one from ebay or a salvage yard. Don't buy a new one...the cost is seriously ridiculous. One of the most overpriced parts for your slk.
PS: Don't try to modify a PSE unit that is not exactly the same as yours. You will have problems with your ECU (it will not recognize the unit).
John.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi John and thanks for your input. Naturally I am aware of some of the visible variances of these PSE's and have taken that into account. I was kindly given valuable info by member 'simplyslk' that steered me towards a comparable unit. Although I'm not 100% certain 1708000848 should work,I managed to purchase one from California for just over AU$200 so it's not a big risk. It should arrive in 1-2 weeks and I'll let everyone know of the outcome. To find someone to attempt to repair my unit seems impossible and I'm happy therefore to purchased a used module. Cheers....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wish to thank everyone concerned helping with any way they could with my PSE issues. The used but excellent condition replacement arrived and it works perfectly!
So what it means is that a 1708000 8 48 PSE is in fact a direct replacement for a 1708000 5 48 despite having two extra pinned sockets! It was a bit of a risk to find out, but the AU$240.00 spent was a LOT less than AU$1100 to AU$2000 that I was quoted in Australia.
Cheers to all that helped.....Barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.