Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2002 SLK 230. Vin number WBD1704492F265762. I have had this a couple of months now and as the nicer weather is here I would like a proximity sensor adding to the alarm for protection when the roof is down. I have only seen one post on here which involves wiring in a new unit and linking into the 'door open' sensor to trigger the alarm. This seems possible but I would also like something that would integrate with the OEM alarm so I can disable the sensor if required. At first I was looking at replacing the internal infrared movement sensors and using that as I prefer a proximity to infrared anyway, however The infrared disengages when the roof is down.

So I looked at an aftermarket Proximity switch and it appears that the sensor is a 3 wire system. Black and Red wires which I assume are power wires and a white wire which I assume is the trigger. I then looked on eBay for a replacement Tow Alarm Sensor and saw a picture which looks like a very similar 3 wire system. I haven't got access to the wiring diagrams, but was wandering if anyone had tried to piggyback the sensor with the proximity. Also does anyone know exactly where the Tow Alarm Sensor is situated. I believe it is in the boot somewhere. If this works then I can disengage the proximity sensor along with the tow sensor.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

John. >:D

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sorry mine doesn't have a Tow alarm, Im not sure if its because it is an earlier year or if its because they didn't come equipped with it in North America.
The original owner put in an aftermarket alarm which is hooked up to the door sensor.
In terms of security with the roof down I almost always put the roof up when I am parking the car. The only exception is when I can see my car while dashing in and out of it for something. I also make it a piont to keep the windows rolled up and the plexiglass wind restrictor in place. If you want to get in the car you have to open the door (which triggers the alarm) and you can't bend into the glove box/interior of the car with the windows up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So,,,,,, does anybody know where the tow sensor is?? MB Partsworld show 2 boxes in the boot but no exact location??

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
26,218 Posts
Might be worth getting your free datacard to confirm that you do not have motion sensors.

In our 2004 230, open the boot, remove the liner covering the tyre, reach down and out to your right (towards the back of the car, behind the large foam block).

There's a small cube, roughly the size of a plum, mounted on a bracket. I think that's the one you're after.

Have a look at the pse threads and you might spot it in the photo's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.