Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is 16, 6 foot 4, and has been desperate to get a job for months now. He wants to get driving lessons as soon as he is 17 and buy himself a little car. He has a moped at the moment (CBT instructor described him as a "monkey on a stick").

He started his first ever job yesterday as a labourer and is working on a solar farm. It's not glamorous, but he's getting a decent wage and I think it'll look good on his cv as it shows he's not scared of hard work.

I'm really proud of him for getting stuck into what must be quite an unpleasant job, and I'm also feeling a bit old. My baby has a job!

Attachments

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Good luck to him. Any lad who is prepared to get stuck in will get on. My dad said to me when I left school. Doesnt matter what they ask you to do as long as they pay you for doing it, and it doesnt matter what they call you as long as they dont call you too late for your dinner :)

·
Premium Member
3,548 Posts
You have a right to be proud. A day's hard work never hurt anyone.

Plus now he'll have stories to tell to his kids "When I was your age . . . ." :biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
14,703 Posts
Wait till you have too drive him to the Mb Dealer so he can buy his 1st Mb....... Talking about feeling old than......LOL.... Glad to hear he is not affraid of dirty Jobs....

·
Founding Member #2
19,394 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
He's home with his first ever pay packet, and is taking me out to lunch on Sunday. (I'm driving of course).
How much of it are you deducting from his pay packet for his keep :biglaugh: When I started work back in the Stone Age I was paid 2 pounds 12 shillings and nine pence a week. 10 shillings was deducted for my tools and my mum had 1 pound for my keep leaving me 1 pound 2 shillings and nine pence :)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much of it are you deducting from his pay packet for his keep :biglaugh: /QUOTE]

I'm not. When I was his age I got on a YTS scheme at a hairdresser and earned the princely sum of £32 a week. My mother took £21 off me every week. So despite getting a small income, I was left with very little, and had absolutely nothing bought for me apart from food.

I said I wouldn't do that to my kids, so his money is his own. All I've asked is he pays for his own petrol (for his moped) and clothing etc. I''ll still feed him and keep a roof over his head. I want him to enjoy the money he is earning for a while. I've told him this is fine as long as he continues to help around the house.

He also wants to start saving for a car.

·
Banned
7,812 Posts
Ouch that was a big chunk. At least my 1 pound 2 shillings bought me quite a bit back then. I think 2 shillings filled the tank on my Tiger Cub :)

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Sandra.....more important than the money, your son is earning self respect, confidence, and pride. He's lucky to have a mom with values like yours!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts