Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Well, I've done it!

After having had great fun last year restoring a MK2 MX5, and experiencing the fun of a rag top, I started to dream of something a bit more special.

Whilst the MX5 was great fun, and no slouch (1.8 twin cam at 140bhp), it was a little cramped for my rather large, non athletic (understatement) build!

So I started looking around for something a little more in keeping with my size and age (the big "50" this year!), and the car that took my eye (and fitted in with my very restricted budget) was the SLK R170.

A quick visit to a local dealer one Saturday morning with the good lady in tow confirmed that it was definitely much bigger in the cabin area and had an air of luxury and build quality that was lacking from the Mazda.

The final selling point was the work of art that is the folding roof- the Mazda roof was a crude affair by comparison. My next thought was what engine to go for, both the 230 kompressor and the V6 320 offered a good hike in bhp over the MX5, and I must admit that the glowing reviews I had read did influence me into trying to find a 320 within my budget.

So about four weeks of scouring ebay, Pistonheads, Autotrader and Gumtree followed, which all seemed to be indicating that the 320 was going to be out of my reach (not having been released until 2000, they were attracting prices in excess of £2k- which was a stretch too far for my budget).

And then it popped up on Gumtree, a silver "W" reg (Aug 2000) SLK320 with the six speed manual box, 140,000 miles (but with full MB service history for the first 10 years, then independent every year after), lots of small patches of rust in the usual places, a rear quarter light that had stuck down and an SRS warning light permanently on.

The price was on budget, a quick phone call was made and we handed over the readies and collected the car the following day.

I have since spent a few days getting to know the car and attempting to rectify it's faults, but here are my first impressions;

Wow- what and engine! performance is fantastic- any gear, any speed hit the loud pedal and it just takes off! (the downside is the fuel gauge drops almost as quickly when driving in hooligan mode!).

Build quality- every job I have attempted so far has been with the help of guides from this and other forums, but the way MB put a car together is far superior than any other car I have worked on before. The design that has gone into every component is plain to see, and makes the Mazda seem positively bargain basement.

Ride quality- this (next to the performance) is the biggest difference to the MX5. In the Merc, I feel cosseted and pampered, the quality of the leather is first class, all of the interior trim is really well put together and with features such as electric seat adjustment, two stage seat heating, dual zone climate control and cruise control it really does feel like a nice place to be.

So there you have it- my quick intro and first impressions, but I hope to add more info and share experiences with other owners over the coming months.

Mart.

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,454 Posts
Hi Mart, welcome from Washington, DC.

Congratulations on your SLK, it look like a super find!. Great pictures, thank you for sharing.

·
Administrator Founding Member since 2006
105,011 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car). You must update your profile with vehicle info and your location and post an introduction first.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: ROTM Submissions & Voting - Mercedes Benz SLK Forum

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
16,924 Posts
Hi Mart, welcome from the North of Scotland. :smile:

·
Premium Member 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
15,225 Posts
Welcome from central Florida!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the kind welcomes folks, it's really my first venture into forums, so to receive such a warm welcome and positive feedback is very much appreciated.

As I said in my intro, the first couple of jobs I have done on the SLK would have been much harder had it not been for the info available from fellow members on this site and others, so I hope to be able to not only continue to learn from others via the forum, but also share some of the knowledge and experience I gain as I go through my journey with the car.

There is obviously a very loyal and passionate following for all models of the SLK, but it's great to hear from people all over the world who are sharing my new found love of the car.

Kind regards,

Mart.

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
13,719 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.