Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy an R172 SLK but can't decide between 350 or 55. The latter probably going to cost best part of £10k more or thereabouts.

Will be used as a weekend car as I have a GLC for daily use. Probably 5k miles per annum. I suppose I'm slightly worried about running costs of the 55 - need I be ?

I've test driven both, 350 first and loved it (I do drive a 250d at moment !), then the lovely V8 55 which was awesome.

Need some thoughts and help please !

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a lovely 350 for sale in the for sale threads.

Haven't driven a 55, but have been on runs with them and had no issues keeping up, the 350 is still very fast.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Of course the R172/55 is an awesome car and if You ever want to own a car of that caliber, now is the time to own one before they get banned (or taxed) out of existences...

As already stated, the R172/350 is quick and driving around in an AMG is a bit like having a caged greyhound, un-less You take a fully loaded SLK to the German Autobahns, or the Alps where the extra power can be useful... R)

Looking at the UK 2012 brochure, both were Euro5 engines at that point.

Car comforts wise, the R172/55 came with a far higher spec as standard, so finding a high spec R172/350 will be far more difficult.. (Airscarf is a must, which ever You choose)
PM me an email address if you want a UK 2012 & 2015 PDF brochure, but need 15 posts first..!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Before I tried the 55 I thought the 350 was more than good enough - we're easily seduced by bigger and more powerful engines. I guess what I'm keen to find out is what the respective running costs are like - by that I really mean servicing and parts rather than fuel.

My insurance quote was pretty much identical for both - well I am just wrong side of 50 and have clean licence and no claims history.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts
Ok, I’m still the right side of 50:grin: and I have owned a 350 albeit an R171 and now own a 55 R172.
Both are great, powerful cars but the 55 tops it for me.
Service wise I paid £180 for the small service and have been quoted £350 for the big one at my local indie.
Driving in sport, as I do in the summer down the lanes to work (having a little play where I can) I get 270-300 miles per tank and according the onboard computer I get 23.9 to the gallon.
Driving in Eco, as I do in the winter (mines a daily driver) I get 320 to the tank but that’s using the motorway for 30 miles a day.
I hope this helps?
Ps. A tank is approx £74

·
Registered
32 Posts
I previously owned a facelift R171 350 that was a fantastic car and one that I thought was more than quick enough... until I test drove a R172 55 and bought it on the spot. As others have said, the 55 is potentially the last great NA engine we will see. They are an epic car and driven sensibly using the C mode remarkably frugal. In fact, my 55 returns better economy on long continental runs than the 350 did - makes a fantastic noise in the Alps as an added bonus!. I have had mine 3 years now and would not change it for anything.
Edited to add, just north of 50 also. Insurance not really any different, my servicing is on a Mercedes plan and I don't think it's that horrendous. Brakes and tyres no worse than the 350 if you buy wisely.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ve recently purchased a R171 SLK55 and too be honest I drive it a little slower than my previous 3.0 Z4, which I guess is because I don’t feel any need to prove anything. The sound is intoxicating and it’s makes me smile from ear to ear. I think that if you can afford one then go for the 55 as it might just be an itch that will keep coming back if you don’t go for it.

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
If you can stretch to the extra cost to purchase a 55 then I’d heartily recommend that you do! There’s not a lot in it running cost wise! On a recent trip to Europe I got slightly better economy than Trev did in his SLC43 and I wasn’t hanging about! :wink:

Also agree with Trev you’re more likely to find better options on 55 models too. All have intelligent bi-xenon headlamps as standard where as most 350’s have the halogen ones.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you can stretch to the extra cost to purchase a 55 then I’d heartily recommend that you do! There’s not a lot in it running cost wise! On a recent trip to Europe I got slightly better economy than Trev did in his SLC43 and I wasn’t hanging about! :wink:
Oh the irony. MB dropped the NA V8 in the SLK55 supposedly in pursuit of better fuel economy with the forced induction V6 of the SLC43, all because of the corporate average fuel economy regulations or whatever the eurocrats call it.

Getting back to the thread, at 5k miles per year will a few mpg here or there make much difference? I suggest that servicing, road tax, insurance and depreciation will be more critical. You already know the insurance is similar so the biggies to compare are servicing and depreciation.

M

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
Also agree with Trev you’re more likely to find better options on 55 models too. All have intelligent bi-xenon headlamps as standard where as most 350’s have the halogen ones.!
Totally agree, the Bi-Xenon head lights is another important extra if You plan to drive Your SLK in the countryside at night...... :tu:

·
Premium Member
5,299 Posts
We are telling similar stories apart from I am on the wrong side of 65. The R171 2010 SLK350 that I owned previously has similar performance to the R172 version with more than enough power. However, my R172 2012 SLK55 is extremely comfortable, on motorway running in ECO mode returns 35mpg and with carbon emissions at 195 g/km attracts a Road Fund Licence of £300 per annum. The power on full chat is breath taking but the car is just as happy being driven in a more sedate way. The level of finish and standard features is good. I have owned mine for 2 years and I hope to own and enjoy it for many years to come.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I've had a look a both SLK55 and SLK350 and I 'think' I've decided a 350 will be more than enough for my weekend needs and save me a pile of cash.

I've seen a couple that might fit the bill, but need to find out exact specification (i.e. extras) and service history details. Any ideas how I can access these ? Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
20000 miles in a R172 AMG, usually driven 'enthusiastically' average 24 Mpg.
Taking it easy 29 mpg can stretch over 31 or 32

Rear tyres 6000 to 8000 miles, also 'enthusuiastic' driving. 10k if really lightly driven.
Fronts easily double that.

Oil changes are expensive.

Filters, pads etc are all reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
So I've had a look a both SLK55 and SLK350 and I 'think' I've decided a 350 will be more than enough for my weekend needs and save me a pile of cash.

I've seen a couple that might fit the bill, but need to find out exact specification (i.e. extras) and service history details. Any ideas how I can access these ? Thanks in advance
Smart choice, IMHO.... The 350 with 306 bhp is plenty fast and more than enough for MOST people, especially in the case where the car will be solely a weekend cruiser.... with patience one can find a 350 fitted with many desirable options.

For options/extras, just provide the VIN(s) of the car(s) in your interest list and someone here will send you the datacard(s) that lists all the options/extras on the car(s).

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,924 Posts

You won’t be at all disappointed with a 350, the only trouble is you may not get the exact spec you are after but if you’re not too fussy then you will love the car you get..........that is until you hear a 55 go by and the sound of the lovely V8 will have you looking like Homer Simpson looking at a doughnut!..:grin:........

.......Only messing with you!
Good luck with the search:wink:

·
Administrator - Founding Member
92,737 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I've found this one and have 5 day reservation for tiny amount.

https://www.carshop.co.uk/used-car/MERCEDES-BENZ/SLK/DF64XSL#

1 Owner from new, Full MB main dealer service history - last service was B at 21k miles March '19. I'm trying to get VIN to get the data card etc..If anyone can help with the VIN from the reg that would be useful !

The only thing I don't like are the red seat belts, but I'm guessing it's possible to get them switched (saw a thread somewhere that mentions that belts need to be re-mapped to car etc...). Suppose the data card will reveal all !

·
Super Moderator
10,927 Posts
Good deal from what I see. Comparable here is around £25,000 but our price is NO indicator as SLK's are pretty rare here.

Those red belts look great with the black and when combined with the red piping....ooh la la :grin:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts