Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchase of an SLK. Likely a R171. Currently own a 2004 E320 (W211).

I see that there is a potential problem with the balance shaft sprocket on certain years of certain engines (I looked at the stickie on this issue).

Is there a way to correlate the car's VIN with the engine serial number (M272 - M273) to avoid a car with this issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts
Also going to move your thread to the new member introduce yourself section to save you a step

Yes. post the vin, we get you the datacard. the datacard has the engine number, compare engine number with engine range in stickies (oil and sprocket)

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:
If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
Want to post a picture? Start a new thread or make a post, click ‘edit’, click on the ‘paper clip’ or ‘advanced’ and/or ‘manage attachments’ then ‘choose file’ then ‘upload’ and ‘submit’! If Iphone pics, you need to rename any additional pics as Iphone names its pics all the same, image.jpg.
Want to ‘like’ or thank’ someone’s comments? Use the ‘like’ button to the right or the ‘Thanks’ button, bottom right of any post you like. This saves you having to comment.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a datacard (options on your car) free.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member/Ride of the Month Coordinator

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,961 Posts
Welcome and thanks for joining.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response.

If I am shopping for an R171 (and don't yet have the VIN), is there a year range to be wary of?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,421 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Conductor plate only applies to automatic transmissions. If you get a car with the One True Transmission, a manual, then that problem won't occur!:biglaugh:

The balance shaft sprocket problem only affected a relatively small number of cars; something in the low-single-digit-percentage range. It does still crop up; a member here recently had it happen to his car. But the odds are low. I investigated the issue here, and bought an '06 car used anyway. If my engine succumbs, I'll fix it and drive on; but at 92k on the odo the odds are that if it was going to happen it would have done so before now. If cost isn't an issue, then go for an '09 or later and be completely worry-free. If you're budget-limited, then find the car that suits you best and enjoy it, and if the balance shaft gear issue bothers you then put some money aside as a "just-in-case". You'll either need it or you won't, and if you don't there are worse things than having a little extra money saved up somewhere.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK350
6,796 Posts
The oil consumption problem sited above is also very rare and most of the cars were captured in the recall.

I did have the conductor plate issue with our car after three years of ownership - it's essentially an electronic issue (a speed sensor within the trans). Sometimes you can replace just the plate, but sometimes the valve body too. My repair (conductor) was circa $800.

Best of luck in your hunt...

·
Premium Member 2009 SLK55 AMG
12,258 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
Premium Member 2007 SLK280
3,920 Posts
A warm welcome from Southern Arizona. Good to have you on board. Enjoy the people, the forum, and top down cruisin'.

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,377 Posts
Hi, welcome from the North of Scotland. Good luck with your hunt. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts