Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following some great advice on these forums I'm glad I checked the intermediate support bearing on my facelift R170 230SLK as its faulty. Now I'm tackling the job I may have bitten off more than I can chew :|

I had seen a nice description here. Mercedes SLK Vibration on Overrun - All Gears - Propshaft Centre Bearing Replacement - Mercedes Gen-In
A great write up and clear description I thought, and only an hours work :smile:
Now I'm into the job I'm wondering if this description is correct. It clearly is saying that you can drop just the rear section of the propshaft complete with intermediate bearing with no need to touch the exhaust or any other components. The statement "grasp the the rear section of the prop and push it forward a couple of inches to clear the spigot on the diff input flange" is a puzzler, where do these 2 inches come from...is there really that much movement available in the prop?

I have also now seen this thread https://www.slkworld.com/slk-r170-general-discussion/15350-drive-shaft-center-bearing-help.html which makes things a whole lot more complicated and requires removal of the rear engine mount and supporting the transmission. Now I'm hoping that this is a pre/post facelift scenario and the first linked article is indeed correct. Has anyone done this on a more recent r170 model?

I have gone as far as removing the bearing supports, centre bridge and three bolts from the rear flex disk, but on reading the 2nd article I now understand that the flex disk is removed with the rear section of the propshaft so I will have taken off the wrong bolts! The issue now...and before I go any further is that the other bolts are a pain in the ass to remove. You can't get a ring spanner on the nuts and I've already started to round of one of the nuts using an open ended wrench and trying to hit it with a hammer :frown:.

So before I butcher things any further I would really like to know, for my model of car, which is the correct procedure? If I need to remove the engine mount/support transmission and drop the whole propshaft etc....I will give up and take it to a garage to do the job. Trying to do this while car is on axle stands is going to be very difficult.

Incidentally in the MB WIS for my VIN it does not seem to cover the 170 model, unlike the document on the 2nd thread above which will be for pre-facelift.

Rear prop flex disc with three bolts removed (diff side)
IMAG0513 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Rear prop flex disc with three bolts removed (transmission side)
IMAG0517 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Centre Bearing Support...Rubber Mount Broken Up
IMAG0518 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
24,115 Posts
@GaryLaird maybe mention the two members from those threads.

If they are still around, perhaps they can clear this up for you.

Mods have access to email contact if the members no longer visit.
We will not issue these to other members, but can contact them with a link to this thread.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, rear section of the propshaft now dropped from the car. Old bearing and carrier off and new one fitted. Just had to undo the other flex disk bolts which all came out....eventually. Pry the flexy disk off the diff mounting flange and plenty of play and room to drop out the rear prop section without removing any other parts 0:)

The replacement support I bought had the carrier and the bearing separate. Getting the bearing and the bearing carrier together was painful on the fingers....had to apply a bit of heat to get the rubber a bit more supple....but still took quite a bit of force. Anyway now all done and back on the car.....easy when you know how!

Incidentally the condition of the old rubber was much worse than I first thought! There was no indication of problems while driving but it looks like I caught it just in time. My car is a 2003 with 80k miles on it so its a good thing to be checking if your in a similar age/mileage bracket.

Rubber Condition
IMAG0520 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Rubber Condition
IMAG0522 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

Removing Old Bearing
IMAG0523 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

New Bearing Fitted And About To Push On The Rubber Mount (Ouch!)
IMAG0526 by Gary Laird, on Flickr

·
Registered
348 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2001 320, rubber support perished and split, found it when checking the car over before a 1000 mile drive to hols, borrowed a car lift would not have liked to do it lying on my back.
Car had 84,000 on the clock, crank sensor went around the same time so watch out for intermittent starting problems, car stalling at slow rpm and wont start when the engine is hot.

Regards Stuart

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi just read your very good thread I have an slk 230 2001 with the same problem having difficulty identifying the right parts to buy as I don't know if the bearing and rubber support are the same on the pre face lift modal any help would be much appreciated Chris

·
Super Moderator
24,115 Posts
Had the same problem with my 2001 320, rubber support perished and split, found it when checking the car over before a 1000 mile drive to hols, borrowed a car lift would not have liked to do it lying on my back.
Car had 84,000 on the clock, crank sensor went around the same time so watch out for intermittent starting problems, car stalling at slow rpm and wont start when the engine is hot.

Regards Stuart
Hi just read your very good thread I have an slk 230 2001 with the same problem having difficulty identifying the right parts to buy as I don't know if the bearing and rubber support are the same on the pre face lift modal any help would be much appreciated Chris
Chris, as the rest are for 171 I presume you intend that for Stuart?

Best to quote, or mention when you have a question for a specific member.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Part 29 - A2024100481
Part 32 - A0039812325

I think some sellers sell both parts assembled which would be much easier :wink:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I bought the Febi Bilstein one, pre assembled for my Post Facey 320, sorry no idea of the p/n now, it was in Dec last year.

If you want to assemble them as 2 separates, douse the rubber with WD40 and it will slip in real easy, then rinse off and blow dry with Brake Cleaner :wink:

Don't buy really cheapo stuff off EBay, it is Chinesium and it will fail ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Hi,

Yes, I bought the Febi Bilstein one, pre assembled for my Post Facey 320, sorry no idea of the p/n now, it was in Dec last year.

If you want to assemble them as 2 separates, douse the rubber with WD40 and it will slip in real easy, then rinse off and blow dry with Brake Cleaner :wink:

Don't buy really cheapo stuff off EBay, it is Chinesium and it will fail ;)

HTH, Cheers Dave

Aha. Did the one on my 320 today, also Febi Bilstein pre-assembled :)

I had to remove that little cross member and I also had to drop the exhaust hanger to give me a few more mm, no big deal and apart from that and getting the splines to slide back in, it's quite a straightforward little job :splif:

Regards Stuart
84,440 miles on mine's clock :tu:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts