Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff, don't crucify me but my time is limited and I wasn't sure where to post.

I got my dipstick today and checked the level while cold. It was way up on the stick and the color was a murky brown color. It smells OK and doesn't seem too thick which leads me to believe the previous owner had a Limp mode and tried to just add red trans fluid To the common factory green fluid to remedy the problem. I'm thinking about draining it to the proper level just to see if there's a chance to clear the Limp. I'm planning to do the conductor plate anyway but just want to see if an overfill might have been the problem. Or should I just not bother messing with it and swap all the fluid and do the plate? I know that sometimes it's just a transmission code holding it in Limp but I've read about guys having it jump out after they changed the plate or got proper fluid levels. Also can Limp cause the fluid to appear as if it's overfilled? Sorry for the long rambling post and the over use of fluid......

Fluid...

·
Banned
801 Posts
A brown color is the first signs of major trouble ahead in the transmission. At this point about all you can do is change the oil and filter. Eventually, it'll fail and you'll need a rebuild.

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
900 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,043 Posts
Do you have a check engine light with the limp, and if yes, what are the codes?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,206 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a check engine light with the limp, and if yes, what are the codes?
Yeah I got Limp and p0758 ( solenoid code which popped up after I changed the conductor plate) p0720 p0705 p0500 p0600. I switched out the conductor plate and filled the trans to the proper level and though still in limp mode it switched between reverse and drive smoothly without the jolt it had before. Also the pan had no debris or particles on the bottom. The conductor plate that I took off actually looked great as well. The plug had a little fluid in it but I changed it and cleaned the other end with contact cleaner. Didn't seem like it had wicked up to the time. I'm hoping a code reset will get her out of limp. I'm hoping to have a multiplexer and software this week.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,043 Posts
That's more than the typical TCM failure presents.

Have you looked at the TCM connector? Was there any discoloration or oiliness in the foam where the wiring comes through the floorboard?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's more than the typical TCM failure presents.

Have you looked at the TCM connector? Was there any discoloration or oiliness in the foam where the wiring comes through the floorboard?
Looked surprisingly clean when I took it apart.

·
Registered
239 Posts
In your 1st post you say the level was checked cold. The fluid level should be checked when the engine/gearbox are at operating temp, 80 degrees C. I use an infra red thermometer to check as the gearbox takes a while to warm up. Fluid level is critical to correct operation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.