Mercedes SLK World banner

281 - 300 of 322 Posts

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,919 Posts
If the ! is still there, and you didn't delete it look in the "Event Log" for that Module, there will be a message telling you something most times, then delete afterwards ;)

Much better practice to at least read it before deleting it ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2002 SLK230 Kompressor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #293
First proper drive completed. Took the Wifey out for twenty five miles of just driving for the sake of it. Longest R170 experience So far, by about twenty three miles.

I’m rather pleased. It’s definitely got enough power to get out of its own way. I wish the kickdown was a bit snappier. But once it drops a cog and collects its thoughts, off you go. She could get to illegal speeds when overtaking on a dual-carriageway without too much fuss... allegedly.

Handles nicely on the country lanes. Nowhere near as heavy and sluggish as I was dreading it might be. Nowhere near as ‘pointy’ as a well sorted MK1 MX-5. But then, nowhere near as lightweight. I wasn’t upset by the handling at all. Turn in is pretty positive and there’s enough grip to hustle among the twisties at grin inducing speeds.

Seats are comfy enough and the seat heaters are a welcome luxury. Driving position felt a bit strange to start with. I’ve probably got a bit more seat adjusting to do before I really settle on a position I love.

Sound system wants some attention. Probably need to update the speakers. Wouldn’t mind sorting some base speakers in the Bose locations behind the seats. Current system lacks clarity and punch.

Didn’t come back with any fewer fluids than I started with. Except petrol, which moves from just over 1/4 full to just under 1/4 full after the journey.

Preaching to the choir, I know. You guys already know how nicely an R170 drives. But I got to say, after my first proper drive of one. I’m glad I saved this one. It’s jolly good fun and it’s going to make a wonderful ‘sensible’ car for me on those days when a 250bhp MK1 MX-5 is just a bit ‘much‘.

Don’t worry, the ‘diary’ doesn’t end here. I’m sure there will be things to fix and things to upgrade along the way. I am going to, again, thank you all for the help, support, and for just reading my ramblings. All of which are greatly appreciated. I know I keep saying it, but it’s important.

Stay safe out there folks and make an excuse tomorrow to take the SLK our for a rip (roof down mandatory).

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,919 Posts
Great news to hear :) ................

I used to drive a lot of MX-5's, a mate of mine had some bonkers idea he was gonna hire 'em out for folks to drive around Skye, and muggins here got to do all the welding and replace all the knackered smokey Engines ;)

What you should be doing is comparing it to a standard Mk 1 MX-5, then tell me what is better, your MX-5 Beastie is gonna be quicker and sharper with all the mods you done got ;) ;) ;)

Now get a drive in a well maintained R170 SLK 320 and then finally come get a shot in my V8 :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered 2002 SLK230 Kompressor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Vent clip phone holders just don’t fit in the SLK!

First try... prongs too wide.

Second try... both prongs too wide!

Third try... a windscreen mount. Suction mounted to the passenger side of the centre console.

Juuuuuuust right.

Remains to be seen how long the suction cup lasts on very knackered UK roads!

281 - 300 of 322 Posts