Mercedes SLK World banner

261 - 280 of 322 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK230 Kompressor
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #263
Those seals that you had to destroy by digging them out (they normally leak at the bottom anyway) .. I just filled the channel with exterior window sealant and pressed the lens into it, was messy but effective 🙃
I did consider aquarium sealant. Buuuuut then I mentioned it to the current Mrs Velvet and she said “but, knowing you, they will be basically ‘restored’ back to as new condition. So you should use the OEM seal”

“No, because they are really expensive” I said and I showed her the OEM seal... and before I could stop her she ordered two!

Goshdarn I love that woman!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
881 Posts
I did consider aquarium sealant. Buuuuut then I mentioned it to the current Mrs Velvet and she said “but, knowing you, they will be basically ‘restored’ back to as new condition. So you should use the OEM seal”

“No, because they are really expensive” I said and I showed her the OEM seal... and before I could stop her she ordered two!

Goshdarn I love that woman!
Well, now I love her too. :love:

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #266
Wellllllllll the headlight seals "Shipped in 2 days" actually are on back order and expected in two weeks.

I have a cunning plan involving the tattered remains left over after I made one set of nice headlights form two sets of tatty headlights and some sikaflex...

While I wait for the Amazon man to bring that. DashCam time. I regard a dashcam a required equipment nowadays. Especially as I live in a part of Birmingham that is usually on fire and every other car on the road is uninsured and careering around the road like the driver is in the middle of a particularly good text conversation with his dog.

My weapon of choice is the Viofo A129 Pro with a Viofo hardwiring kit for parking mode. The hardwiring kit connects to permanent live, accessory live and ground. To allow the camera to switch to parking mode with the ignition off. The kit senses VBat and if it falls below 12.4 volts it powers down camera completely. So that parking mode cannot deplete the battery.

The R170 is practically designed for a hardwired dashcam. It's SO simple to install.

First up, drop the footwell trim from above the pedals.

Only two screws but does require some footwell limbo. Then pop the fusebox assembly out.

There is then a clear path from the fuse box into the footwell. Check out the daylight streaming in....

Plus you can pick up a permanent live and an accessory live straight from the terminal posts in the back of the fuse box.

The two posts on the right are permanent live. Next to them, third from the right, is accessory live. It's trivial to use ring terminals to connect to these posts then run the cabling down into the footwell and neatly up into the area behind the interior fuse box.

An earth connection is simple to find from a bolt here in the fusebox area.

From here the usb lead to the camera can be easily slipped under the A pillar trim and front edge of the headlining to neatly get it to the camera.

With any excess cabling ziptied securely out of the way. The hardwire control box slips neatly in place behind the fusebox panel.

Did all that and then forgot to take a picture of the camera!! I'll grab one in daylight tomorrow. But it's pretty boring, just a black box with a lens attached to the windscreen with a 3m sticky pad, just behind/under the rear view mirror...

Nope, cant see the screen on the camera any more. But that's the way I prefer it. It's all done over wifi to a phone app anyway. I never use the screen.

Maybe I will have an excuse to go out for a drive soon! Once the headlights saga is done with. I love when five minute jobs turn into a fortnight of waiting for parts..... le sigh!

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,981 Posts
Those seals that you had to destroy by digging them out (they normally leak at the bottom anyway) .. I just filled the channel with exterior window sealant and pressed the lens into it, was messy but effective 🙃

Wellllllllll the headlight seals "Shipped in 2 days" actually are on back order and expected in two weeks.

I have a cunning plan involving the tattered remains left over after I made one set of nice headlights form two sets of tatty headlights and some sikaflex...

That'll make a seal, could get messy though

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #270
I had forgotten how much I hate Sikaflex!! It may as well be called "A Sticky Mess, In a Handy Tube"!

The plan.... Reassemble all the headlight parts that were discarded when I selected the best parts to make a set of headlights. To create a slightly broken and bent set of headlights that can be installed on the car whilst I wait two weeks for the proper headlight seals to arrive.

Turned out that was juuuuuust too much Sikaflex. If you do it, don't copy that bead. Go just a couple of mm less and you will be golden.

Also, crimp the clips closed in a bench vice. If they aren;t a bit of a struggle to clip back on then they are neither use nor ornament.

Sealed, wiped down, trim cleaned and re-installed....

These, ladies and gents, are my [email protected] headlights. Which will get me back on the road while I rebuild the good pair!

·
1,981 Posts
I had forgotten how much I hate Sikaflex!! It may as well be called "A Sticky Mess, In a Handy Tube"!

View attachment 579393

Turned out that was juuuuuust too much Sikaflex. If you do it, don't copy that bead.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Oh that brings back memories, it's almost a carbon copy of what I did years ago .. yeah, don't make your bead that big .. oh wait, I did say ..
That'll make a seal, could get messy though
:p

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
1,981 Posts
Good tip on compressing the clips in a vice, they do tend to lose their springiness after x amount of years and that's when the problems start with the leaky grey seals and internal condensation (y)

Looking forward to seeing this good pair ..

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #276 (Edited)
Remember kids, if you work hard, chase your dreams, and never ever give up. Then one day you too could become a qualified Zip-Tie Engineer...

Thats what you get when you’re making do with the [email protected] set of headlights.

At least she has eyes again now!

Do the indicators always sit a little bit proud of the main lamp. Or am I doing something wrong?? I think it may be because the OEM seal actually takes up a few mm of space and using sealant Instead means my main ‘glass’ is sitting back a few mm.

The ‘good’ set of headlights will now hide out in the bottom of a wardrobe. To safely await the arrival of the mythical OEM seals. Before I can assemble them.

·
1,981 Posts
Do the indicators always sit a little bit proud of the main lamp. Or am I doing something wrong?? I think it may because the OEM seal actually takes up a few mm of space and sousing sealant means my main ‘glass’ is sitting back a few mm.

The ‘good’ set of headlights will now hide out in the bottom of a wardrobe. To safely await the arrival of the mythical OEM seals. Before I can assemble them.
Mine don't :p

Maybe you need more sealant to pad them out :ROFLMAO:

or

Your clips are too tight

Not that it makes a great deal of difference either way with the imminent arrival of your fancy new seals :whistle:

·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
Good news!!!! I have a warning light on my dash!!!!

No, I haven't gone bonkers, promise... 🤣

When I lowered the gearbox I streeeeeeeetched the coolant pipe to the overflow bottle.... This end of the hose (circled)....

Veeeeery nearly popped off.

Till the car was running... and then it did pop off!

I lost just enough coolant for the low coolant warning light to come on. Confirming that I have, indeed, successfully repaired my dash!

You know what that is......?

That's lemonade baybeeee..!

261 - 280 of 322 Posts