Mercedes SLK World banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK230 Kompressor
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
Oh. My. Gosh. That was a pain in the bottom!

Thank goodness for the vac pump! This thing is really excellent. I will use it again in a month to do another change of just the fluid in the sump. No spanners needed.

That was the end of 'clean' and 'easy' for the day. I've really got to think about getting a two post lift on my driveway! Under the car I went. Jack under the box to support it. Took the rear box mount off. Easy enough, and the box mount wasn't shot. Nice! Then disconnect the prop. bolts removed from the rubber donuts. Didn't want to budge tho. Had to remove all six bolts and whale on it a bit. Finally got it off. Fiddled the little clip off the selector linkage. Time to lower the jack and see what we get. Not a fat lot...... Gearbox only lowered by an inch or so.

So it was on to the exhaust. The hanger to the gearbox had rusted through. That wasn't much of a challenge. The three bolts in the exhaust joint are so rusty as to not be recognizable as bolts anymore. Not an option. Disconnected the center earth strap to the exhaust. Unplugged the lambda sensor. All easy stuff. Then I got to the rear exhaust hangers. Which utter sadist designed these things? I must have spent an hour trying to get them off! With the exhaust free to dangle I gingerly lowered the jack. Took the sump off and there she hung. I did pop the jack back under to take the strain off the engine mounts after this pic.

Actually removing the selector arm is a simple two bolt job. Pop the seal out with a pry tool.

Actually only slightly ruined.

Pop the new seal in, using a suitably sized socket as a drift tool.

Reassembly went fine. New filter, new gasket. All easy apart from those damn rear exhaust hangers. Seriously, what is up with those!

All that work took me about five hours. Rolling around under the car with my nose ten centimetres from the sump. I was pretty exhausted by the time it was all back together.

Today's task. Refill the box and then do the flush procedure to get the bad gear oil out of the torque converter and replace it with the lovely cherry red ATF that ECP provided free of charge. (Might be tomorrow... My back hurts like heck!)

Thanks to @vauxhallmaniac for the howto and the inspiration. Fingers crossed for no more leaks!

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,790 Posts

Thank goodness for the vac pump! This thing is really excellent. I will use it again in a month to do another change of just the fluid in the sump. No spanners needed.

View attachment 577571

That was the end of 'clean' and 'easy' for the day. I've really got to think about getting a two post lift on my driveway! Under the car I went. Jack under the box to support it. Took the rear box mount off. Easy enough, and the box mount wasn't shot. Nice! Then disconnect the prop. bolts removed from the rubber donuts. Didn't want to budge tho. Had to remove all six bolts and whale on it a bit. Finally got it off. Fiddled the little clip off the selector linkage. Time to lower the jack and see what we get. Not a fat lot...... Gearbox only lowered by an inch or so.

So it was on to the exhaust. The hanger to the gearbox had rusted through. That wasn't much of a challenge. The three bolts in the exhaust joint are so rusty as to not be recognizable as bolts anymore. Not an option. Disconnected the center earth strap to the exhaust. Unplugged the lambda sensor. All easy stuff. Then I got to the rear exhaust hangers. Which utter sadist designed these things? I must have spent an hour trying to get them off! With the exhaust free to dangle I gingerly lowered the jack. Took the sump off and there she hung. I did pop the jack back under to take the strain off the engine mounts after this pic.

View attachment 577572

Actually removing the selector arm is a simple two bolt job. Pop the seal out with a pry tool.

View attachment 577573

View attachment 577574

View attachment 577575

Reassembly went fine. New filter, new gasket. All easy apart from those damn rear exhaust hangers. Seriously, what is up with those!

All that work took me about five hours. Rolling around under the car with my nose ten centimetres from the sump. I was pretty exhausted by the time it was all back together.

Today's task. Refill the box and then do the flush procedure to get the bad gear oil out of the torque converter and replace it with the lovely cherry red ATF that ECP provided free of charge. (Might be tomorrow... My back hurts like heck!)

Thanks to @vauxhallmaniac for the howto and the inspiration. Fingers crossed for no more leaks!
Have been thinking of knocking something up along these lines ever since I first heard of them, how hard can it be? 🤔 🤔

1. Kwik Lift (not available in UK)

2. MR1 (£1200- £1400 last time I looked)

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #203 (Edited)
I really like the QuickJack.

But £1122 is a LOT of money :(

*edit - I’m not even sure the 3500 model is rated to lift an SLK. So you’re looking at £1300 for the next model up!

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Er..... guys..... You’re not gonna believe this....

I don’t have a funnel that fits in the dipstick. Thought I did. But no.

Don't suppose there is some ‘made for purpose’ dipstick funnel. May as well buy the perfect thing if it exists?

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
46 Posts
Er..... guys..... You’re not gonna believe this....

I don’t have a funnel that fits in the dipstick. Thought I did. But no.

Don't suppose there is some ‘made for purpose’ dipstick funnel. May as well buy the perfect thing if it exists?
It is a long shot, not long drive but if DIY funnel is not option for you, I am in Leicester and have the right size.
I used it for the refill of mine!
I am not saying it is the best option but is an option if you are up for a ride!

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
It is a long shot, not long drive but if DIY funnel is not option for you, I am in Leicester and have the right size.
I used it for the refill of mine!
I am not saying it is the best option but is an option if you are up for a ride!
That is super kind of you dude. But we are on NHS Shielding here. Not supposed to leave the house at all till June 30th :(

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
46 Posts
@Cerberus Velvet
Well, I explained it to another team member last week I think, I live in area where no one ever questioned where and why I am going...no stores were shut for more than a week, two MAX, b&m in a shopping center is working, wilko and tesco restricted.
Apparel stores do not function ( you are home you do not need clothes right ) but home stuff stores, food, auto repair shops...
Prices of sanitizerS went way higher. Plus every now and then Lidl has the "open door" policy.
I think I am in the twilight zone, compared to strict areas like yours.

I used one of these for the try of short loop with the manual vacuum pump it did not work out the way I wanted but still one plastic cup and the hose of your manual pump can do the trick for YOU!

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK200K 'Little Growler'
650 Posts

View attachment 577571

View attachment 577572

View attachment 577573

View attachment 577574

View attachment 577575

Wonder what the book time is on this. How much do MB charge to replace seal - might be a clue as to why the exhaust’s designed that way 😂

·
Registered 1998 SLK230K
46 Posts
I've been to every pharmacist in my area to ask for a large syringe and infusion kit and the answers I got, besides the shrugged shoulders were ...try eBay... or ...try online...
In my country I had the infusion kit from the first pharmacy I tried, I filled in the fuel rail with injector cleaner/fuel mix and used the tubing to raise the pressure. In 3 hours I got it all off cleaned and back on the car.

And the tool I have used here is a bit more as a price but it works well for many things.
IMG_20200525_063833.png

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
Ok guys, a funnel update!

Amazon Prime to the rescue. I swear these guys have really saved our butts during this lockdown!

I went for this lovely blue Draper 26372 funnel. Draper 26327 Oil Funnel with Tube: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

I was hoping that there might be a small chance the fill tube would fit down the dipstick tube. But my hopes were not high and I had a backup plan. I also treated myself to some fill jugs with nice clear scales on the side. One for the fill, one for the flush.

The fill tube of the funnel does NOT fit in the dipstick tube. But what you do is cut a short length of the pipe and fit it to the nozzle of the funnel.

This then acts like an o-ring (actually, I wonder if you could replace it with an actual o-ring? didn't try that) The nozzle then fits with an oil tight seal into the filler tube.

With that sorted....... it was on to the flush!

·
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Mmmmmmmmmmm cherry ATF

I put four litres into the empty box. Then drained three litres from the disconnected line to the radiator.

Three flushes of three litres and it was time to bring to temperature. The tip on measuring temperature on the banjo bolt, from a howto thread here, was on-point.

Brought the level close. Then deployed the high accuracy fill technique.

And the final result.......

The perfect fluid level. Still nice and cherry on the stick too. We may have gotten away with it!

But.......... Has the leak stopped.......?

I left some cardboard under the car overnight. Went out to check it this morning, and.....

Not a drop!

Again, thanks for all the advice and moral support guys ;)

Test drive is imminent ;)

201 - 219 of 219 Posts