Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I recently got my SLK with only one key which was not looking that good but working.
I ordered a new plastic cover for it and tried to change the bits, I took the old one apart and removed the PCB and put in the new case, it did not work. I tried putting it back in the old case but it is still not opening the car, I have tested with a long press and the LED does work. To add to this, the barrel seems problematic so I can not use the blade to get in, any ideas ?

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Well I recently got my SLK with only one key which was not looking that good but working.
I ordered a new plastic cover for it and tried to change the bits, I took the old one apart and removed the PCB and put in the new case, it did not work. I tried putting it back in the old case but it is still not opening the car, I have tested with a long press and the LED does work. To add to this, the barrel seems problematic so I can not use the blade to get in, any ideas ?
If you're in a situation where you just need to get into the car I believe that the trunk key hole will unlock all of the doors. I am not sure why your pcb isn't working though.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I have found the chip, but I am trying to open it with the old fob, old chip and old blade, the thing won't open, the only thing I can do is use the blade to open the boot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can someone tell me how the key works, is it IR, what does the transponder do(is it just for close up when starting the engine) what do the two buttons operate ?

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK200K
10,745 Posts
If it's a one key fob , I think it's IR and I believe the receptor is around the interior light area . The transponder is for the electronis starting system and only affects staring the car . The two button remote is open & close .

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is a two button fob, so you are saying the blade / transponder will start the car but the buttons will open close, so that operation is IR only?
How might I have damaged that ? or is it dependant on any other parts, sequence ?

·
10,745 Posts
If it's a two key fob , then it's RF , buttons for doors ( you should obviously be able to use the key to open the doors as well ) and transponder/key for starting .

Have you by chance been working on or near your aerial or doing any other sort of work on the car ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have not been near the car at all recently, all I have done (at work) is take the fob apart and now put it back together. but it will not open the doors. By the way, if I ever get around to it, when reprogramming the key (pos 2, double click...) does that program the transponder and IR ?

·
10,745 Posts
The sync proceedure for your remote should be this :

This resyncs the remote , which in the two button case is RF not IR .

The transponder is coded to your car from factory and doesn't change .

It's possible that whilst transferring the internals of the remote that something has been damaged and doesn't work because of that ...
Keys if dropped etc can just stop working , they can be quite delicate !

Unfortunately as you only have one key , you can't try the spare which is the usual first step , you might have to order a new one to really check if the actual key is the problem or something else , it's always a good idea to have two just in case ..

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Any idea what a key would cost or best place to get one, what is the procedure for getting one made ?
I believe the only place that can make you a key is the dealer and they have to order it. Unfortunately I believe your car also has to be present for VIN verification.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.