Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After reading another members (i860's to be exact) problems of his M271 engine failing in his c180 sport coupe (same engine as our 200k) due to the timing chain stretching slightly and jumping a tooth, I started to read up on the subject and must say I was quite worried about what I found, as on occasions I had a bit of clatter on start up, even though I only have 115,000kms on the clock.

After reading up and seeing a few videos etc. I decided to change the timing chain, in an attempt to increase the life of my Camshaft adjuster sprockets as they're very expensive. :surprise:

When looking for the timing chain and after talking to my mechanic, I decided to by a closed timing chaing kit with new guides and tensioner from Febi-Blistein. After reading up on their website I found that their kits come with a new design of tensioner and mount that have a non-return valve for the oil pressure.

The first thing we did was strip the engine down, removing the steering pump, alternator, air filter, injector rail, admission, kompressor, A/C compressor, top engine cover with its wiring and coils and the front cover of the engine (we loosened off the sump nuts very slightly to help removing and installing the front cover, which enters between the sump and the cylinder head) to allow access to the guides, tensioner & mount etc.

On uncovering everything, I found that my timing chain had indeed stretched 1-2mm and that my Camshaft adjuster sprockets, although not badly worn, were in fact partly worn, we all know Mercedes aren't particually known for the quality of their sprockets......so the, "now that every things apart syndrome" came into play and I started looking for replacements. :crying:

I enquired on the price for new Mercedes sprockets, which were going to be the same "quality" as the originals and they came out around 1,400€ (that wasn't going to happen !).
Luckily we live in the Internet age and after some research I found a great company in South Africa which make a kit for the sprocket replacement, made from superior hardened materials which should last a lot longer than the originals and at the great price, almost 1/3rd compared to the originals, of 480€ plus shipping ( they were delivered in 3 days here to Spain ! ). The kit comes with the two hardened sprockets, torx bit, thread glue, grease and full assembly instructions, for the relatively simple process of removing the internals from the original sockets and fitting them in the new ones.

In case anyone's interested the company is merc271.com and the guy I dealt with, Paul Bashkier ([email protected]) was very very helpful, always replying quickly and patiently to my usual, numerous questions, highly recomendable !

As soon as I removed the new sprockets from the packet, I could see/feel the difference in the finish from the originals, as can been seen here, along with the difference in wear,

Although the wear doesn't appear to be "very" bad, once they were installed and the new chain slotted into place, I could simply "feel/sense" the better fit. Before removing the old sprockets and chain, the alignment marks on the admission side were >1mm to the left and on the exhaust side were >1mm to the right, afterwards they were spot on, on both !! :grin:

While everything was removed I took advantage and also changed three small tubes below the admission, which are also known to fail due to the high temperatures in that area, causing timing problems due to excess air getting in the system..

http://youtu.be/4C9XqMwyWBg

It may be the placebo effect, but after everything was back together, on driving the car, the engine seemed "tighter/better", so I'm now a poorer, but happy chap! >:D

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
After reading another members (i860's to be exact) problems of his M271 engine failing in his c180 sport coupe (same engine as our 200k) due to the timing chain stretching slightly and jumping a tooth, I started to read up on the subject and must say I was quite worried about what I found, as on occasions I had a bit of clatter on start up, even though I only have 115,000kms on the clock.

Did you check the camshaft sensors too? If yes and the sensor's connectors got some oil inside what did you do? The merc indys recommends to check these in every 60k kms ?!

·
*Premium Member
2004 SLK200K
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Can you put some infos or pics about the adapter cables? Are these the "oil stop" cables?
Yes, they're the oil stop solid cables sold by Mercedes to stop the oil spreading by capillary action to the rest of the electrical system, if the sensors fail.

The part number is : M 271-150-27-33 and are the same ones used in the R170 engines..

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
I checked my M271 too and let me share one more important experience (according to my indy) about the Shock absorber Disc on the crankshaft.

Firstly my chain and cogwheels wasn't so bad after 125k km, but my camshaft sensors were they let some oil out:

When we tried to rotate the chain through the crankshaft we realized the marks (1-1 on the cogwheels, and 1 on the crankshaft's shock absorberer disc) weren't set because the rubber in the disc grew old.
This disc made of double circled iron and steel material which connected to each other by vulcanized rubber.
If the rubber grow old the two metal piece can move from each other horizontally (the marks won't pass) or even worse: vertically and the outer part of the disc may scrub the side of the block until it will make a hole!
It can happen during 100k-140k km's... So I advice to check this disc when you check your guiding!
I put some pic to identify this disc:

My new disc, the old one is in place yet:

I hope it will helps to avoid any other trouble, cheers:
#FD .

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
While everything was removed I took advantage and also changed three small tubes below the admission, which are also known to fail due to the high temperatures in that area, causing timing problems due to excess air getting in the system..
Can you share the part numbers for these three small tubes?
I seem unable to find them... maybe because the language barrier?
Thanks.

Vlad.

·
Registered 2006 SLK200K
588 Posts
The whole package are waiting in my trunk to replace them so I did quick pics and put the numbers but I didn't have time now to check them (handwriting):
A 271 018 0329
A 271 018 1482
A 271 016 0481
A 271 018 1582
A 271 018 1282

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just finished ordering them from the dealer. Only 38 euro :)
I also ordered A 000 989 6201 to change the supercharger oil as the mechanic has to dissamble it to reach to the hoses. 70 euro for 125ml of oil :(
These hoses have a name? It may be helpul for others when they search the forum.

Thanks very much for the help.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.