Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 SLK320: The seller said the top was working, they were driving it around until the fuel pump failed and they pushed it into the storage lot. When the car arrived the top pump was empty, maybe a tablespoon of fluid at the bottom. Unless the seller was lying, the fluid had to go somewhere, either pumped/squirted out, leaked out, or evaporated. I really doubt it evaporated, so I need to know where the leaks are most likely to occur so I can have a bucket under it. For what it's worth I can find no evidence where the fluid may have gone, though a year or more in the hot Florida sun can do that.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,112 Posts

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,061 Posts
Headliner area, forward corners of the trunk area, wells behind the wheels (view through the hairs, these drain out onto the driveway)

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
3,085 Posts
If your fluid has drained out of the drain holes try inspecting these where they protrude from under the boot space. If there is residue on the drain pipes then that would answer your question.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts

·
Registered 2002 SLK320
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The hydraulic cylinders will be where the leaks are,
here is a link showing where those cylinders are in your SLK Hydraulic Components
Thanks "The hydraulic system consists of a Hydraulic Unit with 2 solenoid valves, and 5 hydraulic cylinders. There are 10 hydraulic lines connecting the cylinders to the hydraulic unit. 2 cylinders operate the top, 2 cylinders operate the trunk lid, and 1 cylinder operates the locking mechanisms for the front of the top."

My Lebaron top has one pump and one cylinder, no problem for 22 years . . . guess I'm gonna own a hardtop. :|

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.