Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have on order a new 09 SLK 350 and have selected the premium beige leather option. Although I see the regular leather in the showrooms I've yet to see what the difference is between the two. I did see a new AMG 55 beige leather seat and was wondering if that is the same quality and style as the premium leather option in the SLK 350. Is it suppose to have better support padding etc? Thanks for any help.:tu:

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the upgraded leather just has more leather and less vinyl surfaces.
Not all the seats are completly covered with leather in the standard leather.
I may be wrong, But thats how the salesman explained it to me.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
Hey guys,

I have on order a new 09 SLK 350 and have selected the premium beige leather option. Although I see the regular leather in the showrooms I've yet to see what the difference is between the two. I did see a new AMG 55 beige leather seat and was wondering if that is the same quality and style as the premium leather option in the SLK 350. Is it suppose to have better support padding etc? Thanks for any help.:tu:
In the past the amount of leather was the same, just a higher quality (nappa). I suspect it's the same for 09s.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I had the Napa leather in the prior 280. The amount of leather is the same, with some "leatherette" at the small surfaces around the seat, the door insert is the regular leather of the same colour but not Nappa. Only the main surfaces of the seat are Nappa/premium leather).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the Napa leather in the prior 280. The amount of leather is the same, with some "leatherette" at the small surfaces around the seat, the door insert is the regular leather of the same colour but not Nappa. Only the main surfaces of the seat are Nappa/premium leather).
Can you really tell any difference in the leather..feel looks etc? Is it suppose to hold up better to wear? I'm wondering if I should have saved myself some money by not ordering it. I thought the AMG seats had this same leather/seats and thought they felt and sat more comfortable. May I was just was thinking it.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Napa leather has a much smoother surface (much less grainy) and softer texture than the regular leather. The AMG seats that I currently have on the 55 are more comfortable than the regular R171 seats (be it regular or Napa leather) because of thicker/bulkier foam padding and a different contour on the seats. It may be just a perception on my part, as I was also comfortable in the 280 before, but then I'm not particularly tall nor heavy set.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hmmm... that's interesting about the SLK55's seats. I find the seats in my SLK350 to be somewhat... well... I wouldn't call them uncomfortable (they are very supportive and I can easily drive for hours without being bothered), but I would say they are somewhat small in the upper back / shoulder area, and the lumbar support seems a bit lacking.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Why oh why? The stock seats in my old Porsche were awesome, apparently they were made by Recaro for Porsche. They were roomy in the shoulders and had great side bolstering.

I'm not a huge fan of the flat-backed seats in the SLK, but worse, I just don't understand the shape. Like why they would narrow the seats toward the shoulders. I'm not a big guy at all (5'9", 160lbs) and I find the shoulders far too narrow, my shoulder-blades are always rubbing against the edges of the seat.

I do like the variable seat heating and the AirScarf, tho. Love those features, actually. And don't get me wrong, I think for the most part the seats in the SLK are very comfortable. It's just the narrow shoulders that bother me.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
hmmph. I've never noticed. I'll have to take a closer look. Just went for a 5000+ mile drive and was very pleased with their comfort. (maybe I have narrow shoulders :) )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why oh why? The stock seats in my old Porsche were awesome, apparently they were made by Recaro for Porsche. They were roomy in the shoulders and had great side bolstering.

I'm not a huge fan of the flat-backed seats in the SLK, but worse, I just don't understand the shape. Like why they would narrow the seats toward the shoulders. I'm not a big guy at all (5'9", 160lbs) and I find the shoulders far too narrow, my shoulder-blades are always rubbing against the edges of the seat.

I do like the variable seat heating and the AirScarf, tho. Love those features, actually. And don't get me wrong, I think for the most part the seats in the SLK are very comfortable. It's just the narrow shoulders that bother me.
I have to agree with the narrow seat at the top. I have wide shoulders and it seem most of the support was coming from around my shoulder area and less inthe lumbar area. That I assume might become uncomfortable on longer trips. I wish they had allowed the ability to adjust the top as a power seat option. Even my Toyota Tundra has that option.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK55 AMG
3,053 Posts
In General, i love he SLK 55 seats i have, but i agree, the shoulder is a bit narrow, and the lower lumbar is a bit wide. I guess they imagined most of their drivers to be plump and narrow shouldered?

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
I think the upgraded leather just has more leather and less vinyl surfaces.
Not all the seats are completly covered with leather in the standard leather.
I may be wrong, But thats how the salesman explained it to me.
Only the seats get the treatment too bad the dash and other materials dont then again thats what separates the SL from the SLK's interior. I love how soft and smooth the nappa feels it does really feel marginally comfortable over the non nappa SLK280 we had. A difference that made the seat feel harsh and a bit too rock solid if you know what I mean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.