Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if the Pre-Facelift steering wheel will go straight onto a Facelift car without any modifications to the wiring for the horn.

This is especially so because that is the only electrical connection consideration that would need any modification.

I am about to send my wheel down to Royal Steering Wheels but the appearance of the OEM original R170 wheel is preferable to the one that was fitted to the Facelift car.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi all. Can anyone tell me if the Pre-Facelift steering wheel will go straight onto a Facelift car without any modifications to the wiring for the horn.

This is especially so because that is the only electrical connection consideration that would need any modification.

I am about to send my wheel down to Royal Steering Wheels but the appearance of the OEM original R170 wheel is preferable to the one that was fitted to the Facelift car.

Since changing the wheel in the face lift is cosmetic because the airbag and horn are marginally different I would suggest they are the same column. The 32 was first gen and had a different steering wheel.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since changing the wheel in the face lift is cosmetic because the airbag and horn are marginally different I would suggest they are the same column. The 32 was first gen and had a different steering wheel.
Hi Alex.The suggestion that the changing of the steering wheel is cosmetic in itself is subjective simply because the position of ones hands and the functionality of the horn position are really quite different.

It is my understanding that the R170 SLK 32 had what was later referred to as the Sport Wheel !!
It would appear that the lowly early SLK 200's and 230's also had that wheel fitted albeit that very wheel was in the SLK 32 cars until they ceased production.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hi Alex.The suggestion that the changing of the steering wheel is cosmetic in itself is subjective simply because the position of ones hands and the functionality of the horn position are really quite different.

It is my understanding that the R170 SLK 32 had what was later referred to as the Sport Wheel !!
It would appear that the lowly early SLK 200's and 230's also had that wheel fitted albeit that very wheel was in the SLK 32 cars until they ceased production.

Before I replied I looked at images of wheels from first gen 200s, 230s and 32s and of course mine. In the end the horn is just behind a pad of different design so I expect they are interchangeable but the only real way to know is to try.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts