Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was pulling into my drive way, and kept turning my steering wheel while stationary. I heard a loud "thud" and the power steering stopped working, leaving a gigantic leak, which I presume is power steering fluid.

Any recommendations for Mercedes mechanics around the Los Angeles/ Pasadena area? Or should I tow it to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I recently was pulling into my drive way, and kept turning my steering wheel while stationary. I heard a loud "thud" and the power steering stopped working, leaving a gigantic leak, which I presume is power steering fluid.

Any recommendations for Mercedes mechanics around the Los Angeles/ Pasadena area? Or should I tow it to the dealership?
Hmm can't help you but did you check your hoses? May be they went bad and just exploded? I have a leaking issue but already ordered the ones that I need! One is $8 the other is $12. The pressure hose is the most expensive $80 but it seem to be fine for me. If you do take it somewhere, please keep us updated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I took a look at it this morning when there was light out. It looks like one of the hoses broke.

I had the Mercedes Road-Side Assistance tow it to the dealership, where they told me was indeed the power steering hose -- the total cost would be close to $1,200. $350 for parts, which seems to be the running cost (as I check with this:
http://www.mymercedesparts.com/parts/2006/MERCEDES-BENZ/SLK280/?siteid=215326&vehicleid=1432291&section=STEERING)

The labor totaled out to be $800 because it they need to do a pressure test tomorrow morning after installing the hose, to make sure there's nothing wrong with the Power Steer pump also.

I haven't done any work on it yet, but this seems ridiculously pricy. I'm a bit inclined to order the part and bring it to another shop.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
So I took a look at it this morning when there was light out. It looks like one of the hoses broke.

I had the Mercedes Road-Side Assistance tow it to the dealership, where they told me was indeed the power steering hose -- the total cost would be close to $1,200. $350 for parts, which seems to be the running cost (as I check with this:
http://www.mymercedesparts.com/parts/2006/MERCEDES-BENZ/SLK280/?siteid=215326&vehicleid=1432291&section=STEERING)

The labor totaled out to be $800 because it they need to do a pressure test tomorrow morning after installing the hose, to make sure there's nothing wrong with the Power Steer pump also.

I haven't done any work on it yet, but this seems ridiculously pricy. I'm a bit inclined to order the part and bring it to another shop.

Any opinions?
Yup, the Mercedes repair center is ridiculously expensive... They wanted $1200 labor for $38 part!!! No way.... If you have big bucks and need car ASAP then go with them. Otherwise try searching for a good auto shop which deals with German cars. They might be a little cheaper!

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
I can recommend Performance Plus in Canoga Park. They just replaced my power steering pump for $1600, so a hose or two can't be more than $800.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Another case of finding a good independent MB mechanic BEFORE you start having issues, especially if your car is out of warranty.

Jayson - if you've had to replace two hoses due to age/reliability, don't you think it's a good idea to replace all of them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update:

I ended up purchasing the Power Steering High Pressure Hose from the dealership for $407 and had a mechanic install it for $180 labor -- less than half of what the dealership wanted.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Another case of finding a good independent MB mechanic BEFORE you start having issues, especially if your car is out of warranty.

Jayson - if you've had to replace two hoses due to age/reliability, don't you think it's a good idea to replace all of them?
I do think it's a good idea to replace it but it seems fine and it's of different rubber type I would say. Anyways another $80 is hitting my pocket while in school =) May be in the future or when it will show signs of tear and wear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts