Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me replace a broken power roof center console switch on a 2004 SLK 320? The back clip (or whatever holds the switch in place) is broken and if not careful the switch falls down into the console. I think if I can get the center console off I might be able to fix or replace it.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
5,055 Posts
You'll have to take the center console off... Start with the two nuts in the console under the armrest, then the gearshift surround.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts
Starting with pic "a"
Gently pry up the chrome surround from the gearshift.
then gently pry the outer surround,
start at the outer center & work your way around it ( it will slowly come up) that will expose 2 screws that attach to the lower section of the console. (pic 24 here Dashboard and Center Console )

Then pic "b"
Then you need to remove the grip on the hand break, a few drops of liquid soap between the grip & mechanism wil help alot to get the grip to slide off.
Theres a flap of carpet at the rear of the cubby that you peal back to expose 2 screws, undo those screws & the 2 at the front of the console near the gear shift.
Gently lift the section around the hand break lever.

Attachments

• 248 KB Views: 125
  • 216.6 KB Views: 105

·
Registered 1998 SLK230/2001 SLK230
40 Posts
Gently lift the section around the hand break lever.
Thanks, leapyfish!

I have this same problem. Should I order a new switch before I remove the console cover? Or is it likely repairable, given that the switch itself works.

·
Premium Member 1998 SLK230
3,526 Posts
Thanks, leapyfish!

I have this same problem. Should I order a new switch before I remove the console cover? Or is it likely repairable, given that the switch itself works.
If the switch works, The problem may be the plastic has become brittle and the switch needs to be glued in place.
If thats not the problem you can still drive with the console taken apart while you wait for a new switch.

·
Registered 1998 SLK230/2001 SLK230
40 Posts
I had no problem removing the rear console cover. The switch had simply popped out. Maybe someone sat on it? I added a couple dabs of glue before popping it back in.

It was time to repaint the ivory interior plastic, so this provided a great opportunity to make the console look like new. I used white lithium grease to ease reinstallation of the brake handle cover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts