Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am still trying to resolve my power loss problem. I have checked my K40 module, cleaned the MAF and still have problems. There does seem to be slight improvement but not complete. The problem is worst first thing in the morning, car idles badly and there is virtually no power but it does improve as the car warms up. Later in the day, when the car has been sitting in the sun, I still have the same problems but nowhere near as pronounced but on both occasions even when the car seems to be running well, if I press my foot to the floor, the power dies and car does not accelerate, if I back off the car accelerates no problem. The car is a 1997 SLK 200, the basic model. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Oh, I don't get any dash lights other than an intermittent bulb warning light.

·
Premium Member 2006 SLK 280-sold
3,552 Posts
You could also go by a Dealer or an Indy with STAR and get them to pull all of the codes from your engine - they might be able to tell you something. IIRC the car stores all of the codes, even the ones that don't trip a CEL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi ,

Did you resolved already your problem ? Because I have the same problem and the same model as you !

SLK200 mod 1997 , there is nothing showing up, checked already everything twice ,

Frank

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,520 Posts
Franky,

Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Valrico, Florida!

Please update your location/vehicle (model and year) in your profile as it helps the members answer your questions which usually are based on that information.
‘Usercp’ at the top left of page, then ‘edit your details’ on the left side, ‘additional information’ near the bottom, edit your ‘location’ and ‘vehicle’. And it only takes about 30 seconds to do!

You might want to post an introduction in the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section, if you haven’t already.

Some tips to make your visit here more enjoyable:

If you haven’t, please use the 'search' feature at the top right of the page for your questions as they have probably been asked before. Remember, ‘Search’ is your friend.
In addition, if you haven’t, please post your question in the appropriate discussion forum for a quicker response and only once. Be patient and a knowledgeable member will address your question.
If you wish to become PM (Private Message) - capable, you need 15 posts. To get those 15 posts quickly, just go to the ‘New members introduce yourself here’ section and welcome enough new members to obtain your needed posts to PM.
New members should be aware that the 'New Posts' link next to the 'Search' link top right of the info bar is a great way to see all of the posts you have missed since you were on the forum last. Remember to click 'mark forums read' under ‘quick links’ when you leave.
Also vote or enter our Ride of the Month competition: http://www.slkworld.com/rotm-submissions-voting/

Thank you
Jeff
Moderator/Founding Member

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Frank,
Sorry I've taken a little while to reply but I've been waiting to take delivery of a MAF sensor and I'm pleased to tell you, it's completely fixed all the problems. I've just come back from a test drive and it runs smoothly from idle, accelerates like it should in every gear and there is no loss of power on the hills! I hope this helps and if you decide to change the MAF, I think you should change that HD second toy of yours to a Triumph too! ;-). Good luck, let me know how you got on,

Cheers,

Andy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Andy,

thanks for your update , but the sensor you replaced is it an original from mercedes or a bosch , you did not change complete the maf , because once we tried a bosch maf complete , it was less but still there , so I dont know what to do , did you had a code for the maf or nothing showed up ?

Triumph versus Harley ,,,,,mmmmm:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Frank,
I changed the complete unit and it was a Bosch item. I had tried cleaning it before hand and it improved slightly but not completely but now with the new item, it's spot on again. If the hadn't fixed it, I was going to look at a new K40 module but I had already looked at that and it's different to the other Kompressor models everyone on here seems to have. I was then going to look at the fuel pump as I had also changed my plugs, leads and cleaned the fuel pump. My local garage didn't know what it was and said he would try the throttle body next, which was 1500 euros! I'm no mechanic though and I guess I struck lucky after reading the threads here. Wish I could be more help, but the MAF had definitely fixed my problems.

We are in Seville, where do you spend your time when you're here and have you changed that Harley yet? Which one have you got?

Good luck, let me know how you go,
Andy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Andy ,

thanks for answering , the problem is still there grrrrrr......did clean also the maf completley and looks like new :D , tomorrow again to the garage and put the car on the computer and hopefully something will show up !! Just before coming down to Spain I did a big service of the car ; sparkplugs and wires , all filters you can imagine:biglaugh: but it did change nothing of the power loss , now that I m in Spain for a while suddenly one morning the car would not start at all , no noise,,,nothing ,,,,no clic,,,,nothing,,,first I thought battery ,,,,nonono,,,I had to call a pickup and bring my car to a garage here in Spain,,,but wich one,,,no idea,,,,driver proposed to mercedes Carthagena or to a Bosch garage , so I choose the bosch one , and hoppa of we go with my car on the truc to the garage, I have to be honest , the spanish mecanics scared me a bit , they aal came around the car and were screaming , shouting, pointing to this and that,,,,but they found straight away the problem with the computer , LA BOMBA IS KAPUTT !!!! in english THE FUELPUMP is broken , :biglaugh:they changed it and the car started straight away , so I was hoping my other LITTLE PROBLEM would be maybe also repaired , but the answer is NOOOO , after leaving the garage and 100m driving IT started again grrrrrrrrrr:tazz:, so tomorrow morning I m gowing to anoter garage again and put the car on the computer and hopefully something will show up:rb:rb, its not a big problem (i hope) but its really a pain in the:butt:driving around like this !!But its true after I cleaned the maf , had the impression it runs maybe a bit more smooth but in the end its still there !! but I will keep you updated on this one , problem is also next week I have to go back to Belgium for a couple of weeks (this time a take the airplane:tu:).

We are in the area of Carthagena/Murcia , lovely here !! But also Seville I suppose !!!:tu:

I m riding a Heritage softail and my wife a Sportster(soon wtih sidecar hopefully), good question you ask ??? changing a Harley against a Triumph:bike: I love to much riding around on the bike its part of me I think ,,,,,but hey ,,,,maybe one day Harley and Triumph can meet up for:Beer:

cheers ,

Frank

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Frank,
Sorry to hear you're still having problems, I know exactly how you feel, it seems like something small causing a big problem. I tried cleaning my MAF too, which is what everyone seemed to be saying but it didn't make much difference, if any at all. If you were closer, you could try putting the MAF from my car into yours and then you'd know for sure. Other than that, I don't know what to suggest.
I know, get the Harley out and go for a spin, things always seem better after a nice ride. My girlfriend doesn't ride at the moment but she's doing her test in March and we're going to look for a Ducati Monster, she wants something Italian, I hope she's talking about a bike! Good luck with the car, I'm sure you'll get there in the end and it'll be something simple.
Cheers,
Andy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.