Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
*Registered
2014 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi from Gloucestershire, UK. I know nothing about SLK's but Google led me to forum while doing some research. Very useful resource - thank you. Have put refundable deposit down on 2014, 55 AMG at a Merc Main dealer as the V8 experience is tempting....before I get too old. 40k miles, FIVE owners, full MB service history (every 12 months or less), good MOT history (only advisories tyre & pad wear over its lifetime, all sorted), dealer has supplied build spec (only has 5 spoke alloys, not the cool black ten spokes), its Diamond White (not sue if this is a sensible colour) and will be supplied with Merc AMG 2 year warranty. Perhaps I'm naive but this sounds a reasonably solid history/purchase. Going to view for first time next Tuesday & hoping I'll fit in it as it looks tiny and I'm 6.3. After 35 years of Land Rover products its a bit of a venture into the unknown, but hopefully fun.

·
Founding Member 2006
109,001 Posts
Welcome to SLKWorld.com: The #1 Mercedes-Benz SLK Forum from Florida!

I updated your profile for you

mods you should do:
smarttop

What is this SmartTOP all the members keep talking about?

Lube those seals:

Your brochure:
Mercedes Brochure Archive

Free Gift!: Post your vin in the Vehicle Datacard Request section to get a free datacard (options on your car).

FREE!! How to get a free datacard!

Thank you
Jeff
Founding Member

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,971 Posts
Welcome from Wirral, England.

If you are new to forums, or the format of this forum, this may help.

Our forum rules:

There's a link to R170/171/172's do it yourself threads below.
R170 DIYS:- SLK R170 class DIY
R171 DIYS:- SLK R171 Class DIY
R172 DIYS:- SLK R172 Class DIY

Some useful tips in this section for new Members and prospective owners.
>>>Link to new owner guides<<<

You can find your region by scrolling down the page on this link
This is the place to look for tours, meets & events near to you.

Look across the banner and you'll see three vertical dots.
Many questions on how to use the forum and it's features answered there.
You'll also find the >>>FAQs<<<

Click the 5 horizontal lines near the banner.
Scroll down and you'll find a huge section of info.

You can research your questions here.
Here's how to get the best from our site's advanced search:

·
* Administrator (Premium Member)
37,971 Posts
BUYING

Inspection check list (Also add datacard list to this):

Sluggish test drive:

Roof and drains tlc:

Best modification:

55 info also in AMG section:

Lots of 55 threads:

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK55 AMG "Valkyrie"
6,905 Posts
Welcome neighbour,
very good choice of car and colour.
I’ve had mine for 3 years and have to say it’s the best car I have ever owned.
enjoy the car and watch the forum for local meets.

·
*Registered
2003 SLK230
110 Posts
Going from Land Rover products to an SLK is a big change so have a good test drive first, the driving experience os going to be completely different.
Had my 230 now for several months and dont regret buying it for one minute and i prefer driving it to my much newer Audi A3.
You will notice many differences like your bum being much closer to the road, annoying blokes in vans in your rear view mirror who get more angry if your roof is down. Since the winter time change have noticed on my way home how often headlights (a lot of Land Rover products included) seem to be straight into my eyes being lower down.
Essentially your head is going to be at the same height that your backside usually is in a Land Rover product. Takes a bit of getting used too.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Going from Land Rover products to an SLK is a big change so have a good test drive first, the driving experience os going to be completely different.
Had my 230 now for several months and dont regret buying it for one minute and i prefer driving it to my much newer Audi A3.
You will notice many differences like your bum being much closer to the road, annoying blokes in vans in your rear view mirror who get more angry if your roof is down. Since the winter time change have noticed on my way home how often headlights (a lot of Land Rover products included) seem to be straight into my eyes being lower down.
Essentially your head is going to be at the same height that your backside usually is in a Land Rover product. Takes a bit of getting used too.
Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciated. Dealer has agreed to let me drive car for a minimum of a hour which will hopefully be sufficient time to get a feel for it. Being so low and in such a compact car is going to feel very odd but is also part of the attraction to me, something totally different and with a lot more grunt. The Discovery will be staying though as need it to cart mountain bikes around and occasionally tow a horse box. Apologies on behalf of Land Rover owners for the headlights at night which also have a tendency to wallow up & down due to floaty suspension. An A3 & and SLK - nice combo.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG
123 Posts
When you test drive make sure go down some less well surfaced roads as the ride can be quite jostly and not for everyone. Massive difference to ride in the Landy or indeed most other less sporting cars.
Good luck

·
**Premium Member 2014 SLK200
3,691 Posts
When you test drive make sure go down some less well surfaced roads as the ride can be quite jostly and not for everyone. Massive difference to ride in the Landy or indeed most other less sporting cars.
Good luck
Being in Gloucestershire I'd recommend the opposite - see if you can find some nice smooth and even roads so that you can experience what the car feels like on them :D

·
*Registered
2014 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good luck
Good point. Quite a lot of my driving is country roads so I'd also have to learn to dodge potholes rather than go straight over them.

·
*Registered
2014 SLK55 AMG
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Being in Gloucestershire I'd recommend the opposite - see if you can find some nice smooth and even roads so that you can experience what the car feels like on them :D
😄 Very true. I've currently got a buckled alloy on the Disco from a water filled pothole near Winchcombe that was a lot bigger than I expected. Sounded like the wheel had come off when I hit it.

·
*Registered
2012 SLK55 AMG
123 Posts
Winchcombe is particularly bad for some reason. The roads are very narrow as well so not so easy to dodge round them.
lovely part of the country though and just up the road from me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.