Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've done a lot of searching, and found a bit of info scattered all over the place about the different exhaust mods people have done. Whether it's been a full replacement, a cat or resonator delete, or a muffler swap, it seems like there's so many different options...some easier/effective/economical than others.

Would love to see a sticky made up of all kinds of people posting sound clips of their different exhaust mods so people like myself can have a "one stop shop" to get a better idea of what might work best. So...if you've done something with your exhaust and you're game, post your sound clip or vid here!

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
SLK 55 AMG with custom x-pipe and secondary cat delete:
... it sounds louder in person (but won't be as loud as Jeff's)! >:D
This video, and other info (and pics) for the work I had done are available from the links in my signature. :tu:

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you can weld, the cheapest option is to remove the baffling from the backbox.
I suppose you could get someone to weld it back up for you if you cant, its a simple job..

1. Cut the top off a backbox with a slitting disk
2. Pull out all the baffling/wadding/wire wool
3. (optional) Plug the perforated tube in the backbox. I used exhaust putty. Looks a bit messy, but nobody will see it!
4. weld the top of the backbox back on

Cost;

£3.99 - Exhaust putty
£5 - welder consumables
1 afternoon.

I considered removing the secondary cats instead of doing this, but I think the car would fail its MOT on emissions.

Attachments

·
11,404 Posts
. . . . .
I considered removing the secondary cats instead of doing this, but I think the car would fail its MOT on emissions.
I don't know how removing the secondary cats on he 350 would compare to doing it on the 55, but take a look at the 'emissions impact' link in my signature for the difference that removing the centre resonator and secondary cats made to the UK MOT emissions test on my car... It passed with flying colours (as have many other 55s that have had similar work done too)! :tu:

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
95,094 Posts
Me thought this was a video thread?

·
1,723 Posts
Hi all
I think you need two stickies one for 55's & one for the 350's etc , As the same mod will not end up with the result as one is V8 & the other is a V6 , some members have put a xpipe on the 350 & took it straight off again .

Cheers

Andy

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK350
4,440 Posts
Hi all
I think you need two stickies one for 55's & one for the 350's etc , As the same mod will not end up with the result as one is V8 & the other is a V6 , some members have put a xpipe on the 350 & took it straight off again .

Cheers

Andy
350 comes from factory with a x pipe.

·
95,094 Posts

·
95,094 Posts
:D you could have turned the camera sideways to start! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a significant difference between the facelift and non facelift r171 350 exhausts? I know the engine is tuned differently but am not familiar with the exhaust being any different, I'd assume it is identical for the most part?

·
95,094 Posts
more horsepower on the fl to start

·
95,094 Posts
pre fl

than fl

and parts numbers for exhaust are different

Attachments

·