Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for days for a waterpump for my 55 as i want to replace mine (at 69k now still on original pump...).
Original they are just to damn expensive.......
This will now get a bit complicated so bare with me :wink:

Dealer will tell you you need : A1132000301
But if you inspect what is installed on your engine it will show you : A1122001601
Now if i search/google for A1122000601 there is nothing to be found. But somehow it seems A1122001601 is linked to A1122001501.
They look to be very similar looking at the pictures apart from the pulley center being a bit higher :nerd:
But if thats the only change thats n

But the important parts seem to be identical :
Its got the closed 3rd hose.
Dimensions and holes also line up.
Diameter of the pulley center seems to be the same apart from the higher center.
Diameter of the prop and amount of "fins" also look to be the same.

What do you guys think?

I have ordered one to test and fit (i can always return it free of charge within 14 days :wink: ).

Attachments

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,672 Posts
you have not posted your vin so i cannot check for you

·
93,672 Posts
A1122000601
n A1122000501

do not show in epc now called isppi mb parts catalog

plus you have a m113 engine, not a M112

just saying

plus A1132000301

is what it says for slk 55 r171

Attachments

• 386.2 KB Views: 9

·
93,672 Posts
even my fl 2009 SLK 55 has the same water pump part
A 113 200 03 01

·
93,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,517 Posts
I just looked in the Old Electronic Parts Catalogue and the part number listed for your car is A1132000301. I also looked in the current Xentry Parts Information and yet again the part number listed is A1132000301. Mercedes have a habit of changing part numbers over time so not surprised the number on your pump is different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see i made a small typo with the part numbers in the 1st post -> now corrected!

I have found 3 reasons for believing that this is/was common for mercedes to do :
Reason 1:
See this thread (clearly show this part number) :
https://www.slkworld.com/amgs/217578-how-replace-water-pump-r171-slk55.html

Reason 2:
If you order the remanufactered (1132000301) part through Mercedes you get the A1122001601 stamped part in a box with A1132000301 on it.
Someone who is selling this pump in the original box -> New remanufactered A1132000301 Waterpump in its original packaging

Reason 3:
On my 55's engine waterpump it also clearly shows A1122001601. So mine has got the exact same pump....
And im 99.9% sure its still the original pump as both the thermostat and waterpump have a 06 stamp on it.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
I have been searching for days for a waterpump for my 55 as i want to replace mine (at 69k now still on original pump...).
Original they are just to damn expensive.......
This will now get a bit complicated so bare with me :wink:

Dealer will tell you you need : A1132000301
But if you inspect what is installed on your engine it will show you : A1122001601
Now if i search/google for A1122000601 there is nothing to be found. But somehow it seems A1122001601 is linked to A1122001501.
They look to be very similar looking at the pictures apart from the pulley center being a bit higher :nerd:
But if thats the only change thats n

But the important parts seem to be identical :
Its got the closed 3rd hose.
Dimensions and holes also line up.
Diameter of the pulley center seems to be the same apart from the higher center.
Diameter of the prop and amount of "fins" also look to be the same.

What do you guys think?

I have ordered one to test and fit (i can always return it free of charge within 14 days :wink: ).

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/a1132000301?search=OEN A1132000301

They start from £41.91

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have seen those yes but none of which are in stock or have an even remotely "decent" delivery time.
Also checked the cross reference parts but none of the aftermarket ones suited for 1132000301 seem to be in stock anywhere in the EU.
Checked dozens of shops ...... some shops even quoted "could take months" :|
I think most of these pumps are made in the same factory (only different box arround the part basically). This factory seems to have supply issues with this specific pump.

So Yes there is a reason for my madness :laugh:
Im going to take the 55 on a long roadtrip within 4 weeks and i want to have these things done prior this just for "ease of mind".

Fortunately i managed to get a decent price on an original mercedes pump so i think ill go that route.
Just out of curiousity ill also make sure to check the differences between the one i think will fit and the original as both are on their way now :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I would not be surprised if a M112 pump works fine on an M113. but there may very well be differences. I think I paid in the $80 price range for mine (off ebay, and with the expectation that it may not last forever)

but what really boggles me, is why replace a water pump that isn't bad?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I would not be surprised if a M112 pump works fine on an M113. but there may very well be differences. I think I paid in the $80 price range for mine (off ebay, and with the expectation that it may not last forever)

but what really boggles me, is why replace a water pump that isn't bad?
Well as i mentioned my 55 is still on the original pump and at about 69k now (and 12 years old).
In The Netherlands we like to do the servicing before it will cause problems. So we can keep using our cars and not leave us stranded.
Same goes for the Germans. Thats why a lot of the imported cars in the EU tend to come from Germany as these tend to be serviced to the highest level.
Their approach to servicing and maintenance is a lot better then most. So if its close to its theoretical "expiry date" but still works fine we just simply replace.

From what i heard in the US (most) people rather use the "drive till its broken" principle :laugh:
Your response actually pretty much confirms this .... haha

·
93,672 Posts
Well as i mentioned my 55 is still on the original pump and at about 69k now (and 12 years old).
In The Netherlands we like to do the servicing before it will cause problems. So we can keep using our cars and not leave us stranded.
Same goes for the Germans. Thats why a lot of the imported cars in the EU tend to come from Germany as these tend to be serviced to the highest level.
Their approach to servicing and maintenance is a lot better then most. So if its close to its theoretical "expiry date" but still works fine we just simply replace.

From what i heard in the US (most) people rather use the "drive till its broken" principle :laugh:
My 11 year old 55 with 112500 miles is on original

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

Not necessarily. I still do any required maintenance to keep my vehicles moving and I wouldn't use them If I thought something was going to fail. Replacing things based on their expiry date just isn't economically feasible for most people.

My thought was: on something like a water pump, you will get signs of failure before it actually fails.

I dont speak for most Americans though.. we have very lazy automotive standards which doesnt help, so you will get a person driving around in a 25 year old car with bald tires and a blown head gasket and a back seat full of trash and nobody bats an eye!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Agree with the others, if the pump isn't showing signs of going bad then this is very early to replace it. Mechanical pumps can go for a very long time if they are well designed. 60-70k is when BMW electric pumps need to be replaced, the mechanical is MUCH more reliable than that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As i said it doesn't realy work like that here on this side of the pond. I and many many people/enthousiasts here do this because of "ease of mind".
If a certain item reaches a certain ammount of miles or age the chances of failure obviously increase significantly. And with these exotic cars and engines things can get expensive realy quick so i just don't want to deal with it.
Im overhauling the complete cooling system and belts and pulley's at the same time. I will never ever have to do this again in my ownership and don't have to worry about it failing when i drive 280 on the autobahn.

I do everything myself so for a fraction of the price of a simple waterpump replacement at the "stealership" i can overhaul nearly everyting on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Me thinks you may have the wrong car! Affalterbach built these engines to last. Personally I would be stocking up on electrical gear and glovebox confectionery!

Maya ~Tapatalk

·
Registered
867 Posts
As i said it doesn't realy work like that here on this side of the pond. I and many many people/enthousiasts here do this because of "ease of mind".
If a certain item reaches a certain ammount of miles or age the chances of failure obviously increase significantly. And with these exotic cars and engines things can get expensive realy quick so i just don't want to deal with it.
Im overhauling the complete cooling system and belts and pulley's at the same time. I will never ever have to do this again in my ownership and don't have to worry about it failing when i drive 280 on the autobahn.

I do everything myself so for a fraction of the price of a simple waterpump replacement at the "stealership" i can overhaul nearly everyting on the front of the engine.
In the US we call that wasting money. I would trust the OEM water pump more than a remanufactured one. I do agree on changing the belts and pulleys, that should always be done when they are getting old. Water pump isn't a normal wear item though. And most will last at least twice as long as yours.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
OK I will bite. What are the recommended intervals for changing:

Water pump
Timing chain and guides
Crankshaft seals
Main bearing journals
Alternator
Radiator
Wheel bearings
Suspension bushings

Also, where are these intervals listed?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Changed mine at about 45k back in '15. While isolating the annoying rpm related whining noise that '55s make, I found the bearings were whining.

You could kinda hear it with your ear, but it wasn't really too bad. With a techs stethoscope it was clearly noisier than it should have been. I changed it out with a Bosch 99176 off of fleabay for $135.

Replaced the idler pulley, automatic belt tensioner, and the serp belt at the same time as preventative maintenance.

Best part is the whine is now almost gone. The air pump is the primary culprit now, particularly when cold. Seems like a bit is also coming from the direction of the tranny but only when cold but I could be wrong about that.

I'm at about 63k now and no worries with the non-OE pump.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts