Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine finally cracked apart totally. Thought I’d ask if anyone here had one for sale, or knew where to get one. Otherwise, does anyone know what type of glue would bond to the black plastic? Is it abs plastic?
Thanks,
Jack

·
Administrator (Canada)
22,671 Posts
Plastic to plastic is notoriously difficult. If there is any sort of flexing after gluing, that joint is susceptible to breaking.

Having said that, I've had success with

Surehold SH-302 Plastic Surgery Adhesive

And here's an article (from a specific mfg about their own products) that you may find useful

·
*Premium Member
2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
3,499 Posts
Blimey, they're expensive :eek:

Does come with instructions though (y)

Also available on your favourite forum, here:

:p

·
*Registered
641 Posts
I am not 100% it will work, but there is an idea.
Copper wire 4-6 mm2 inside the "groove" with 2 components/epoxy/sink glue. The copper is "carrying" the weight and do not "flex" that much.
Not always applicable, just I see no pics and I have a coin tray ;) so OP, take your "damaged" assembly out and share some pics!

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took out the 2 screws, and the assembly remained immovable. With the copper wire idea, I was thinking glueing thin metal or plastic plates for reinforcement??? Not sure about paying $150+ for a used eBay unit that may be as brittle as mine…

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
22 Posts

·
**Registered 1998 SLK230
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looked at it again, and the remaining assembly just pulled right out — no “hidden tabs”, “plastic wedge” needed, or other voodoo. Will get some proper adhesive…

·
Founding Member 2006
112,729 Posts
Marked as resolved.
if it reoccurs, come back to this thread, don't start a new one

·
*Premium Member
2006 SLK55 AMG "JimmieZ"
93 Posts
Mine finally cracked apart totally. Thought I’d ask if anyone here had one for sale, or knew where to get one. Otherwise, does anyone know what type of glue would bond to the black plastic? Is it abs plastic?
Thanks,
Jack
I have one that I converted to a tray and another I believe. I will be back in Chicago to check 2nd week of june 22.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts