Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.
Most of my bushings are ready for a replacement, and I wanted to go with polyurethane bushings all around.

I remember looking at a set of bushings on cksperformance.co.uk a while ago, but now I cant find them anymore...

I have tried looking everywhere online and cant seem to find any that fits the slk r171.

Can you guys be of any help on this subject? :)

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding member 2006
94,173 Posts

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you can find any for a CLK or C class from 2004-2008, they should fit, as it's virtually the same running gear.
Thank you so much! :D
Hoping to find some more for those as it is damn near impossible to find any for the slk specific.

Do you know if the rear bushings and suspension arms are the same or uses the same bushings?

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
Thank you so much! :D
Hoping to find some more for those as it is damn near impossible to find any for the slk specific.

Do you know if the rear bushings and suspension arms are the same or uses the same bushings?
I'm pretty sure they do - and there are a lot more options for the CLK / C.

If you find a supplier for poly bushes for those cars, check what year they are for, then I can check against your VIN if they are compatible - if the bush manufacturers can't do it for you.

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm pretty sure they do - and there are a lot more options for the CLK / C.

If you find a supplier for poly bushes for those cars, check what year they are for, then I can check against your VIN if they are compatible - if the bush manufacturers can't do it for you.
I checked up Powerflex - Performance Polyurethane Bushes - Black Series - Road Series and they have for C-class(2008-2013) and E-class(2010-2013)

Do you know if these will fit maybe?

I dont have the datacard for my car in specific, but i found one for another 200k slk.

http://www.slkworld.com/attachments/vehicle-data-card/141969d1407320536-requesting-datacard-another-slk-1714421f007232.pdf

·
Sadly Woolly has passed away
17,375 Posts
I think they might have to be the series before - the R171 was based on the running gear of the C class (and CLK ) that were in production in 2004.

Post up your VIN, and I'll get you your datacard.

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they might have to be the series before - the R171 was based on the running gear of the C class (and CLK ) that were in production in 2004.

Post up your VIN, and I'll get you your datacard.
turns out they only had the camber adjustment bolts for the cars i mentioned... :(

Okey, I will look out for any if I can find them.

At the moment I dont have acces to my car, but will get a hold of the VIN once I get back home :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hello everyone.
Most of my bushings are ready for a replacement, and I wanted to go with polyurethane bushings all around.
Hope you like mice in your car! (squeak, squeak...) There are good reasons why most manufacturers still use rubber in their OEM bushings. Polyurethane may be trendy but generally does not outperform rubber especially if the car's suspension was not originally designed for it.

Cheers,
Brian

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally managed to source a manufacturer that makes bushings for our SLK!

They have three options... Could anyone tell me the benefits of the two options that differs to oem mounting?

The options are:

Standard

One offset and one standard

Two offset

LINK

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Offset bushings will have the centre moulded off centre. Appropriately rotated, they have the effect of altering the geometry. Used in competition environment where small adjustment changes can be quickly made.

Be very careful using them as their rotational fitting can make a difference between right and left if not monitored/measured.

Edit:
I looked at your link since posting the answer to your question - the ones in the link are for the strut only and not for the swing arms. The offsets on these two bushes will effectively alter the length of the strut and are not as critical to the main geometry.

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The offsets on these two bushes will effectively alter the length of the strut and are not as critical to the main geometry.
Thank you for the answer.

What does that mean in practical terms that they alter the length of the strut? From installing the coilovers, I cant recon any bushings of that kind on the struts?

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG; 2005 SLK350
4,602 Posts
Are you just replacing bushings on a factory suspension or has the suspension been modified?

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you just replacing bushings on a factory suspension or has the suspension been modified?
Hopefully replacing bushings on factory suspension arms.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Thank you for the answer.

What does that mean in practical terms that they alter the length of the strut? From installing the coilovers, I cant recon any bushings of that kind on the struts?
Hey Oszy - I owe you a big apology. In my last post to your question, I got my mind muddled up between BMW and Mercedes, so there were a couple of mistakes. I suddenly remembered them and asked Jeff to delete the post and I start again:
Offset bushes are meant for strut bars that connect to the hub, such as BMW E96 type. By rotating the offset, the bar is longer and reduces the camber.
However, and here was my error, the MB strut bar connects to the rollbar and not the hub. Therefore the camber is set. It can only be changed by playing around with the top mount.
The Aiustralian link you gave earlier shows offsets for the SLK. Wrong, they will not do anything meaningful so leave them be.
Again, sorry. Next time I will try and engage brain first...

·
Fanatical Owner
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
have a look on this ones, polyurethane, they claim to be made for the w203 but they should fit on r171 SuperFlex: Advanced polyurethane suspension busheshttp://www.suspension-bushes.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=441_532_712
I took a look at the parts diagrams and part numbers for the two cars on getmercedesparts.com and found that the part numbers for the control arms and torque arms are identical. Even though they are differently shaped on the diagrams(drawings)... So I guess they should fit.

Question now is... How do I choose which to get? What are the benefits of the eccentric ones vs the standard ones?

My car is very lowered, so I'm thinking the more adjustability the better?
But what do they adjust, and how do I adjust them?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Go back to one of my earlier posts - you adjust them by moving the bush around in its mounting.

Again, I would urge you not to get the eccentric ones unless you have the means to measure your geometry. These will not help lowered suspension other than altering the wheel camber, and without the ability to measure, possibly the camber and toe-in/out.

Why are you so averse to the standard rubber bushes? With 19" wheels AND polyurethanes, you must be desperate to increase your dentist bill !!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts