Mercedes SLK World banner

Poll: top down driving - window positions?

• All windows down, no wind deflector

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • All windows down, wind deflector fitted

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • All windows up, no wind deflector

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • All windows up, wind deflector fitted

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Front windows down, rear windows up, no wind deflector

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Front windows down, rear windows up, wind deflector fitted

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Front windows up, rear windows down, no wind deflector

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Front windows up, rear windows down, wind deflector fitted

Votes: 14 26.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered 2015 SLK250d
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With better weather (hopefully) round the corner, I'm interested to know how SLK owners drive with the top down. When driving with the windows down you feel more connected with your surroundings, when driving with windows up there is less buffeting by the wind. For those of us with SmartTops installed, there are additional options to control the smaller rear windows.

Please vote in the following poll and let's see what is the most popular option.

·
Registered 2005 SLK350-sold
997 Posts
Depends on temperature and if I am listening to something important. (audiobook instead of rock...)
I much prefer windows down, unless it is too cold, but windows up with top down is better than top up any day.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts
I didn't know this option was even possible: "Front windows down, rear windows up"...

For me, it depends...
1. If I'm alone in the car (or with my son), then "All windows down, wind deflector fitted", otherwise
2. If Mrs dbgrn is with me, then "All windows up, wind deflector fitted" - hey, at least she's happy for me to have the roof down (although she only allows it if the sun is shining)!

:D

·
Registered 2009 SLK200
5,048 Posts
I didn't know this option was even possible: "Front windows down, rear windows up"...

For me, it depends...
1. If I'm alone in the car (or with my son), then "All windows down, wind deflector fitted", otherwise
2. If Mrs dbgrn is with me, then "All windows up, wind deflector fitted" - hey, at least she's happy for me to have the roof down (although she only allows it if the sun is shining)!

:D
Yes you can have rear windows up and front down but that would look some kinda ugly look .

And all the years owning a slk ive never ever used a rear wind deflector . :grin:

·
Vendor
3,782 Posts
This post is of course very interesting to us. I'd like to check out the results when the count gets higher to get a good picture of how people handle this. :D

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I'm w/Pioneer4x4, it totally depends on the occasion. I find music (which is essential) to be more enjoyable windows up. I do get some sort of weird feeling driving that way though b/c I've always silently criticisized people who do that. It just looks stupid, except of course when you're driving an SLK. (Grin)

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,923 Posts
As I've only had Silkie since late-November and there's no SmartTop the outside temperature has really predicated front-windows-up motoring only. Given the choice, I'm with @Roxanne7169 and @Pioneer4x4. Occasion matters. Music, passenger, where I am, where I'm going (and how fast...) would all affect how I set the windows.

What's a wind deflector? :wink: (I only have the mesh one that came with the car and I'm unlikely to use that).

·
Premium Member 2004 SLK32 AMG
5,257 Posts
Under 50 mph and it is top down with windscreen fitted. At higher speeds and longer distances, windows up, windscreen fitted.
My windscreen is an etched Windrestrictor. A good, piece, easy to install, I would buy it all over again.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
What's a wind deflector?
(I only have the mesh one that came with the car and I'm unlikely to use that).
The deflector is a clear plexi-glass thingy that goes behind the seats and, well, deflects wind. Mine came with the car, and I'm never taking it off. I sold the mesh one for $100. I think the PO said the plastic one was like $400, I'm sure they are cheaper now. Look on sleeze bay or momazon. They have some that are etched with the MB logo but my personal preference is simplicity.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a wind deflector as my car didn't come with one :( - I know @Windrestrictor is a sponsor, and normally I'd be happy to support a sponsor, but I do think that US$400+ is a lot of money.

Does one really make that much difference? Given limited cash, should I go for one of those or a Smart Top?
Do I need a Smart Top to make the rear windows independent? Currently, I can't find a way to raise them once the roof is down. Any help appreciated.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,316 Posts
Yes you need the SmartTop to have the many diffferent window open/close options

Function 2 - One-Touch top operation ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function enables one-touch console switch operation, for which the window position after top open as well as an optional extended convenience mode can be programmed.
Setting 1 is standard one-touch mode with windows up (WU) after top open.
Setting 2 is standard one-touch mode with windows down (WD) after top open.
Settings 3 and 4 (EXTENDED) are the same as 1 and 2 respectively, but it is possible to turn the ignition off and pull the key out while the top operation continues. It is also possible to get out of the vehicle and lock the doors using the remote while the top is still closing.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts to passengers not expecting the top to continue running after the engine is turned off!

Top operation with the console switch:
Holding down the switch (>2 sec) in either direction will operate the top in manual mode for as long as the switch is held.
Tap open 1x to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap open 2x to open the top and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap close 1x to close top and windows.
Tap close 2x to close only the top and leave the windows open.
Tap the console switch in any direction to interrupt an ongoing operation at any time - even if the top was started by remote!

Comfort close for all windows:
Tap the top close switch when the top is already closed to roll all windows up.

Function 3 - Remote Control ( 0=OFF / *1=ON WU / 2=ON WD / 3=EXT WU / 4=EXT WD )
This function allows full automatic top operation with the original remote fob by pressing the lock and unlock buttons.
Also here it is possible to determine (independently from operation via the center console switch) the position of the windows after opening the top.
Setting 1 is standard remote mode with windows up (WU) after top open.
Setting 2 is standard remote mode with windows down (WD) after top open.
Settings 3 and 4 (EXTENDED) are the same as 1 and 2 respectively, but it is possible to turn the ignition on and start the engine while the top still continues. Additionally locking the doors by remote will not interrupt an ongoing top operation.
Settings 3 and 4 require extra responsibility and caution to avoid injury by moving top parts, as locking (previously unlocked) doors with the remote will not stop the top!

Top operation with the remote fob:
Tap unlock on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to open all windows.
Tap unlock on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the top and bring the windows into the selected position (WU=Windows Up, WD=Windows Down).
Tap unlock on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to open the top and and bring the windows into the opposite position this one time (Down on settings 1 and 3, Up on settings 2 and 4).
Tap lock on the remote 2x (in 1 sec intervals) to close all windows.
Tap lock on the remote 3x (in 1 sec intervals) to close top and windows.
Tap lock on the remote 4x (in 1 sec intervals) to close top and leave windows down.
Tap any direction to stop an ongoing operation. To stop the top in extended mode in any door lock state, tap the same direction twice!

some site searches on wind deflector

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:slkworld.com wind deflector work

yes they make a big difference in hearing passenger and music

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If I only had x dollars and needed to make a decision, my $ would go to Smart Top.....it almost adds another dimension to owning/operating the car. (Daaaaaammnnn I could do this professionally wink wink)

·
Super Moderator UK 2002 SLK320 Blue
2,923 Posts
I'm thinking of buying a wind deflector as my car didn't come with one :( - I know @Windrestrictor is a sponsor, and normally I'd be happy to support a sponsor, but I do think that US$400+ is a lot of money.
I have to agree with @Quaser8386. Sorry @Windrestrictor and everyone else. I've just had to buy a new headlight and a new front tyre and I've brakes/disks/brake fluid to change and rear tyres to get too in the coming months. Even though $400 is only about £280, on top of that little lot it's just not on the cards at the moment.

·
Premium Member 2005 SLK55 AMG
11,404 Posts

Does one really make that much difference? Given limited cash, should I go for one of those or a Smart Top?
Do I need a Smart Top to make the rear windows independent? Currently, I can't find a way to raise them once the roof is down. Any help appreciated.
Yes, the WindRestrictor makes a big difference.
And, yes, you need a SmartTop if you want to be able to raise the rear windows with the top down.

To choose between them is a really difficult question to answer...

IMHO, SmartTop is one of those must-have mods that puts a huge smile on your face whenever you use it, whereas the WindRestrictor sits there, does it's job and you almost forget it's even there.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be without either of them. I think I added my SmartTop first, but it wasn't long before I added the WindRestrictor too (I really didn't like the OEM mesh version, due to the amount it restricted visibility, especially at night). I fitted the WindRestrictor as soon as I got it, and it's remained in place since then (other than a couple of times just to clean it, and then immediately refit it).

Whichever you do first, I can highly recommend doing the other soon after! :tu:

Note: Although I'm a moderator, I have no financial interest in either product, in any way... I'm just a very satisfied customer.

·
Vendor
3,782 Posts
Right now we have 10% off our product and free custom graphics (Use Sales Code:Spring Forums). We also come with a lifetime warranty. If all of that isn't enough, please PM me and I'd be happy to answer any questions. We can talk other options. We're glad you're coming to this great forum we sponsor. Love our SLK people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.