• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some recent discussion has left me curious on everyone's opinion of daytime running lights. From what I've seen, there are 3 options: no DRLs, DRL foglights and aftermarket LED DRLs.

Please vote and respond with you opinion about which you prefer!

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I can live with DRL's as long as the vehicle came equipped that way.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
our cars can use the fog lights as drl?
If you have the SmartTop version 3.xx installed, and have programmed the SmartTop that way.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
our cars can use the fog lights as drl?
I just turn on the "parking lights" and give the dial one pull; "on call" DRL's that are already on the car.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,560 Posts
What you trying to say Willis? LOL!!! (see drls at left )

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I actually just joined "Lightsout", but I don't agree with all there rantings. YES, drivers should be "trained" better, but I've seen supposedly good, experienced drivers do majorly stupid things on the road(s).
I feel this organization should put its efforts into banning texting while driving.

And, no, DRL's should NOT be mandatory in the US... that's one of the reasons I like my SLK; I know how and when to control my car and its lights.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
If my Drl's stop some half asleep idiot pulling out in front of me, they are worth their weight in gold :)
I totally agree! I only "use mine" when the light is low late morning and early evening. In Indiana, headlights are supposed to go on 1/2 hour before sunset and stay on 1/2 hour after sunrise.

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
The poll needs an option for "DRLs that came with the car". I picked "Other kind of DRLs" in its absence. I love DRLs and run my SLK with them. I have the headlights set to "Constant" and the light switch set to "Auto".

Especially with a small black car I am convinced that it makes me a lot more visible to others. I have nothing against not running DRLs and don't think the government should mandate them, but I see too many people running without headlights well into the time of day when it is entirely too dark to do so. They probably reckon "Hey, I can see everyone else!" :D.

I witnessed a situation recently where it was nearly dark, a whole row of cars comes along a road while I try to pull out of a driveway and make a left in front of them. The front car in this row did not have its lights on while every car behind it did. It made the car nearly invisible up until it was almost upon me.

If not DRLs I wish people would at least set their lights for "Automatic"...

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
As Durkatlon said

"DRLs that came with the car". I picked "Other kind of DRLs" in its absence. I love DRLs and run my SLK with them. I have the headlights set to "Constant" and the light switch set to "Auto".
I feel the more visible I can make this little car the better. People are so preoccupied while driving anymore I want all the help I can get. :tu:

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
The poll needs an option for "DRLs that came with the car". I picked "Other kind of DRLs" in its absence. I love DRLs and run my SLK with them. I have the headlights set to "Constant" and the light switch set to "Auto".

Especially with a small black car I am convinced that it makes me a lot more visible to others. I have nothing against not running DRLs and don't think the government should mandate them, but I see too many people running without headlights well into the time of day when it is entirely too dark to do so. They probably reckon "Hey, I can see everyone else!" :D.

I witnessed a situation recently where it was nearly dark, a whole row of cars comes along a road while I try to pull out of a driveway and make a left in front of them. The front car in this row did not have its lights on while every car behind it did. It made the car nearly invisible up until it was almost upon me.

If not DRLs I wish people would at least set their lights for "Automatic"...
What do you do when you want high beams?

·
Premium member 2009 SLK55 AMG
4,926 Posts
What do you do when you want high beams?
I never thought about this since I was under the impression this "just worked", but I recall some complaints on this forum about not being able to turn on the high-beams.

I just went into my garage to try and with my current settings ("Constant/Auto") I can turn on the high-beams by moving the control stalk away towards the dash as expected (as well as flash the highs by pulling same stalk towards the driver). Not sure what the difference is between my situation and the ones encountered by people having problems with high-beams.

EDIT: I just realized from reading this thread that there may be another wrinkle, since I was doing this in my garage and in the dark. I'll try again tomorrow morning during daylight. At night the high-beams definitely work though...

·
Registered 2010 SLK300
623 Posts
I never thought about this since I was under the impression this "just worked", but I recall some complaints on this forum about not being able to turn on the high-beams.

I just went into my garage to try and with my current settings ("Constant/Auto") I can turn on the high-beams by moving the control stalk away towards the dash as expected (as well as flash the highs by pulling same stalk towards the driver). Not sure what the difference is between my situation and the ones encountered by people having problems with high-beams.

EDIT: I just realized from reading this thread that there may be another wrinkle, since I was doing this in my garage and in the dark. I'll try again tomorrow morning during daylight. At night the high-beams definitely work though...
I woulf expect the high beams won't work during daylight, since I believe the DRL only powers the low beam during day. no other lights.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I don't have the DRL's "activated" but the hi-beams work while in "Auto" as long as the light level has the low-beams on. I wouldn't think the hi-beams would work(only for flashing purposes...no, not THAT kind of flashing...) if the low-beams weren't already on automatically.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Had to answer "other" as there is no option for OEM, as per the ones available from MB for the R171.

See my avatar.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.