Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any tips regards polishing paintwork? I got some fancy wax from a local company called infinity and although went on OK and polished off and looked good I noticed lots of tiny specs almost like tree sap that I had to rub really hard to remove. It can't be recent paint sap as it's never been left under a tree but I suppose could be 10 years of grime. Is this what clay is for? Also what about T cut? Or just plain old elbow grease with the wax?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Try using the clay. It's amazing how much grim it will remove.
+1 to that. Really cleans the surface before you wax (says he whose cars sit under trees for most of their life...)

·
Premium Member
4,907 Posts
For smaller areas that need some extra help, I have used Meguiar's ScratchX 2.0 with very good results.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive ordered Bilt Hamber medium clay so I'll see how I get on. I've got good wax but do need to polish pre wax ?

·
AND MABEL
13,765 Posts
Ive ordered Bilt Hamber medium clay so I'll see how I get on.
That's what I used on Mabel. Excellent result. Certainly cleaned off all the muck that was stuck on / in the paint. As the man said "Smoother than a babies bum".

·
Registered
866 Posts
Jezebel's skin care program:

Once a year- 1. Wash w /dawn to strip wax and grease
2. Dry thoroughly w/air blower
3. Clay bar (pro quality- not all the same)
Note: Polishing only necessary if neglected and hard water spots are present but a good clay bar should remove most.
4. Apply sealant (like wax but more durable)
5. Apply wax

Every two weeks- 1. Wash w/non wax stripping car wash
2. Dry thoroughly w/ air blower
3. Apply hydrophobic wax (wipe on wipe off)

Every six months- 1. Wash w/ non wax stripping car wash
2. Dry thoroughly w/air blower
3. Apply wax

Best products I have found wax wise is Meguiar's, although their clay bar set is O.K. I found Mother's to be better at removing more contaminants easier as well as hard water spots.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Here's an intro video.
If you haven't got deep marks you shouldn't need Ultimate Compound.....wash, clay bar, polish and wax.....
Loads more info vids available with greater detail for a fantastic finish 😀
I use
Ultimate Wash and Wax
Clay bar with Quik Detailer
Ultimate Polish
Ultimate Wax
Twice a year, Spring pre-season and Autumn before the winter

In between Ult. wash and wax and Ult. Quik wax to top up. Wash weekly, top up Quik wax monthly.
Works for me!

TonyS

TonyS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts