Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when turning on my 99 SLK 230 a couple of symbols appeared in the LED display where the odometer usually is. It was:

a picture of a clock (looks like 9pm); -22, and a picture of a wrench

This appeared for a bout a minute and then went away as the mileage came up.

I started the car up again today and noticed the number has changed to

Any input greatly appreciated.

I owe a lot to this board as this is the first "setback" since i bought the car and looked here to learn how to fix the k-40 relay.

Thanks for everything!

Mike

·
Founding Member
337 Posts
Service is overdue by 27 days - if I remember correctly. Hopefully one of the R170 experts will chime in!
That is correct.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK320 Wizard of ID
589 Posts
Is it days or miles?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you all for your prompt responses. I printed out the link from the stuttgart site, and from what it seems it looks like I would need an "A" and "B" service, although I'll have to admit I was a little confused by the pdf and how to determine which service would be necessary.

I'd love to do this myself or at least with my family mechanic rather than be hit over the head by the benz dealership. Any advice on what to do for the service itself, and also how to reset the FSS so that it doesnt call for the service any longer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Change any and all belts if needed, oil/filter change, plugs, air filter, cabin air filter, inspect tires/brakes, look for any leaks, check all fluids including the master cyl for the roof. Depending on your milage change the tranny fluid and the diff. fluid. Check anti freez, check battery, change if its five years old or older.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
98,464 Posts
Hey Slick,

My friend,

any chance you would be so kind,

as to please update your location/vehicle (model and yr) in your profile as it helps the members answer any questions you might have based on locale and model.
usercp, edit your details, location/vehicle.

Your fellow forum members thank you!

·
Premium Member 2002 SLK230K
17,144 Posts
Reset FSS

1 Turn key to position 2.

2 Within 4 seconds press button 1 twice.

3 The present status for days or distance is displayed. Within 10 seconds turn key in steering lock to position 0.

4 Press and hold button 1, while turning key in steering lock to position 2 again. The present status for days or distance is displayed once more. Continue to hold button 1.

After aprox. 10 seconds a signal sounds, and the display shows 10,000 miles for aprox. 10 seconds.

5 Release button 1.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Livefreeordie, thank you very much for the advice on what to service as well as how to reset the FSS. Unfortunately I'm not as handy as I'd like to be so I will have to get some help with those items. The ironic thing is, this display showed up (or at least I noticed it) the day after I got my first oil change since I've had the car)
I have about 97,000 miles and not sure of what the previous owner did or didnt do so I'm thinking I should prob do tranny and diff fluid.
Anybody know of a reputable, honest mechanic familiar with our cars, in the Long Island, NY area? I'd appreciate any reccomendations.

Also, profile has been update.

Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great info!

I purchased my 2004 SLK from Carmax less than a month ago, and these same icons are showing up on my display as well. One would think the car was serviced before I purchased it.... I'll try the steps below and let you know how it turns out.

Thank you!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.