Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the answer to this must be on the site somewhere but I have not been able to find it. I am replacing my headliner in my 1999 230. Every DIY I read sais to scrape off all of the old foam from the headline. I have peeled off the existing liner material and scraped off the thin layer of glue left behind. The roof liner itself is basically made of foam so I am assuming people are referring to this very thin layer of foam that came off with the glue from the old material. (this glue/foam is literally .45mm thick) I plan on using the 3M 38808 headliner adhesive an a foam backed headliner material. I feel this was probably a dumb question, but I just wanted confirmation that I am going to be adhering the new liner material to the correct substrate.

thank you in advance

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2014 SLK55 AMG
1,665 Posts
Yup that's the one.

Have fun scraping off the old glue ? :) :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, it only took about 5 minutes. I used a 1/2" wide plastic putty knife to get underneath it and it pealed off no problem. I just ordered the new headliner material from a local upholstery shop. I was telling him that the 3m 38808 adhesive retails for around $50.00 a can hear in |Canada. He told me he would glue it on for about $15.00 for me.... needless to say, that is a job I will not be doing myself now.

thanks
Marlon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.