Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Dealership wants to charge me $393.00 that's tax labor to install a right hand front fog lamp assembly. I tried to do it myself, but I got stuck when came to disconnecting the wire... I think it can't be removed from the front... I think I have to go in from the back.... I turned the wheel all the way to the left and I can't see the clip, but I can feel it, but I can't disconnect it... it's too difficult. Attach to this post is a photo of my fog lamp. All feedback is welcomed. Thank you!

I own a 2007 SLK 55.

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
The Dealership wants to charge me $393.00 that's tax labor to install a right hand front fog lamp assembly. I tried to do it myself, but I got stuck when came to disconnecting the wire... I think it can't be removed from the front... I think I have to go in from the back.... I turned the wheel all the way to the left and I can't see the clip, but I can feel it, but I can't disconnect it... it's too difficult. Attach to this post is a photo of my fog lamp. All feedback is welcomed. Thank you!

I own a 2007 SLK 55.

Did you see this pdf from an old thread? From photo, you need to remove the rubber cover entirely after cutting off the plastic tie that holds it in place. Then you can see the two spade connectors that attaches to the rear of the H7 light bulb. these can be hard to remove sometimes if there is some corrosion. Use a needle nose pliers to firmly yet gently pull the spade connector straight out.

Attachments

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
Thanks! etyu... your advice work! Again, thank you very much!
Glad to be of assistance.
Remember to apply thin coat of "bulb grease" (sold at common auto supply places) on the connector spades and H7 lamp blade to prevent corrosion and effect easier removal in the future.

·
*Premium Member
2007 SLK55 AMG
3,633 Posts
Hi, There is also a plug about 3 inches back along the wire but as mentioned, remove the rubber boot, I can slide mine off and replace without cutting the tie wrap. There is a lip on the fog light. pull the spade connectors off and job done. 5 minutes.
I apply a small amount of oil/grease to the screws when replacing as they tend to bind slightly. Do Not over tighten the Fog Lamp Grill screws.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE! I was able to slip the zip tie off, but I tried,tried, and tried to disconnect the spade connectors, but I couldn't... I have very little space... so I cut off the zip tie... and was able to disconnect the spade connectors with pliers.. I am going to crazy glue the zip tie when I install my new fog lamp...

AutoZone wanted to charge me $40 something, but it was not a HELLA, but they claimed that it will fit. But, I didn't want to take any chances. I ordered it online, because I didn't feel like going to the store. Hella is the manufacturer of the original factory part... So, I ordered that....

Subtotal: $77.33
Shipping Total: $8.95
Order Total: $86.28

Remember Euromotorcars of Germantown, Maryland wanted to charge me $393.00 that includes sales tax and labor to install it.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
UPDATE! I was able to slip the zip tie off, but I tried,tried, and tried to disconnect the spade connectors, but I couldn't... I have very little space... so I cut off the zip tie... and was able to disconnect the spade connectors with pliers.. I am going to crazy glue the zip tie when I install my new fog lamp...
No need to glue anything. Get a new set of 14-inch long plastic tie from Home Depot or similar stores (inexpensive). You can get bright colored ones if so desired from electronics retail stores.

The OEM rubber cover will slip in nice and snug to the back of the fog lamp housing. The plastic zip tie is there as an added measure. I did clean and treat the rubber cover with Aerospace 303 just to give the rubber a longer life so it won't crack or degrade sooner than expected.

Don't forget the "bulb grease" from places like AutoZone. A small ketchup packet size of the bulb grease is ~$1.00 USD.

·
* Founding Member #2
2008 SLK55 AMG
19,485 Posts
AutoZone wanted to charge me $40 something, but it was not a HELLA, but they claimed that it will fit. But, I didn't want to take any chances. I ordered it online, because I didn't feel like going to the store. Hella is the manufacturer of the original factory part... So, I ordered that....
I got the ones that are made in Taiwan, DEPO brand, and they fit fine at half the cost and looks the same aesthetically, after installation.

I also applied Lamin-X clear protective film on the glass fog lamp housing (while it is still on the work bench and not installed on the vehicle) as it protects the glass from easy damage when a small stone or pebble hits it at greater than 60 mph. If you have the SmartTop and uses the fog lamp as DRL with Lamin-X applied, the protective film may start to brown over time (about 1 year) from the heat of the H7 lamps.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I wrapped the zip tie around the fog lamp housing, but both ends failed to meet together, therefore I couldn't crazy glue it together. Unfortunately, I can't afford the added measure items not on my salary. I hope the rubber cover don't come off. All and all, I completed installing the Fog Lamp Housing and it works. I saved $306. 72!!! It costed me $86.28 installed with 6% sales tax and the part price to install it myself.

Thanks, Again etyu and Jbanks for helping me!

P.S. For everybody's information the Hella Fog Lamp Housing came with a light bulb and it was installed already.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.