Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone!

I am new to this site and I really need your help!!!

I have a 1999 SLK230 Kompressor that is MAKING A STRANGE SOUND at 2k RPMS exactly! :crying:

It sounds like a strange buzzing noise?? I found a video on YouTube of a guy with the SAME EXACT PROBLEM. :surprise:

PLEASE HELP!

Here's some background information that might help to narrow it down... :nerd:

I JUST completed replacing the SPARK PLUGS, VALVE COVER GASKET, and SPARK PLUG GASKETS.... Here's the link to what I did step by step...

Pelican Technical Article - Mercedes SLK 230 - Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

The reason I just replaced these parts was due to the engine SUDDENLY running very rough. I was driving along the road and suddenly it seemed to develop A MISS in the engine. ALSO, my CHECK ENGINE LIGHT came on. :frown:

So I immediately drove to AUTOZONE to have the light checked and it showed up as MULTIPLE MISS in CYLINDER 4.

So I buy new spark plugs, the BOSCH PLATINUMS...and as I pull out the OLD spark plugs....I noticed the plug CLOSEST to the radiator was COVERED IN OIL!??

So I figured the whole problem was the Spark Plug Gasket Seals :laugh:....so I bought the new VALVE COVER GASKET, and all 4 SPARK PLUG GASKET SEALS.

During the replacement, I noticed the seals on the spark plugs DID NOT SEEM TO FIT RIGHT. Almost as if they were too large to fit in the ring.... THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE WHEN I PLACED THEM ON :| is that even normal???

So anyways....I finish the job up and put everything back together.....hoping that everything should run perfectly now....

So I start the engine..... :surprise:
Not only did the ROUGH IDLE NOT GO AWAY.....but NOW I HAVE A STRANGE NOISE AT 2K RPMS!!!??? :crying:

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT THE NOISE SOUNDS LIKE....

PLEASE HELP, GUYS!!! :crying:

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
see my post above yours as we posted at the same time if you haven't

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link, JBANKS15...

Although, I don't believe the noise is coming from the Supercharger...because the noise happens even before the Supercharger engages...?

Also, the noise doesn't seem to originate down by the Supercharger...it almost sounds like it's inside the engine or somewhere around the top area?

I'm lost... )':

·
Founding Member 2006
108,971 Posts
have you gotten your stethoscope out to hear where it is coming from?

this was the wheeler dealer super charger noise episode

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the video! Very interesting, but doesn't seem to talk about my problem.

Hopefully someone will be familiar with the noise I am experiencing...the YOUTUBE video link in the original posting shows my EXACT NOISE.

Thanks, guys.

·
*Premium Member
2009 SLK55 AMG
14,666 Posts
Welcome from the Sacramento Valley SLK Enthusiasts!

·
*Premium Member
2005 SLK55 AMG
11,537 Posts
Hi and welcome from the UK Midlands! :)

I can't offer any mechanical advice for the R170, but wish you luck with finding the cause of the issue...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.