Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was travelling home from a visit to a local Westfield track day yesterday (I'd been taking some pics for them with my drone). Temperature was around 30°C (unusual for the UK), so I was just cruising along with the roof down, enjoying the weather...

Then, going round a roundabout, a C63 came past a few of us, and cut into the line of cars just ahead of us. Shortly after, he pulled into a right-turn lane in the centre of the road and was waiting to turn as I went past on the inside of him. I just couldn't resist... I tapped it down a few gears so he could hear me roar past him (don't forget - I have an x-pipe and 2nd cat delete)! :wink:

Well, it looks like he changed his mind about turning off, and he was right behind me about half a mile up the road! :grin:

As the road opened up to 2 lanes, we both decided to have a little fun! >:D

I couldn't shake him, and he was right on my rear bumper, so I moved over to let him through (although I did then pull out again and went after him).

Just a little further up, and still 2 lanes, he indicated right at the next roundabout (perhaps to head back to where he was heading before this started). He slowed down and I pulled alongside. He had his windows down., and I gave him a big thumbs up. He shouted "That sounds ace! Have you done the exhaust?". I smiled and just said "X-pipe!". He grinned back and said "I'll have to get that done now then!".

I know this isn't a 'kill' story, but i think it's good when something like this can put a smile on both driver's faces! :tu:

However, what do I do now... do I save for a C63, a supercharger for the SLK, or would Kleeman headers and ECU tune be enough for me to have done better?...

·
Administrator - Founding Member since 2006
93,650 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Almost the same story I had on the day almost 2 weeks ago when I did the 3" X-pipe and 2nd cat delete on my 2008 SLK 55 AMG. That was my first experience 10 minutes after the changeover which confirmed that it was worth every $ spend on that mod.
My roar made the C63 AMG driver frown when I hit the accelerator at the stop light.

The second experience was 2 days ago when i turned from the exit of the interstate and drove thru a tunnel with a Kawasaki Ninja H2 motor bike behind me. I had my top down that day and boy the roar in the tunnel made the driver of the Ninja put his thumb up :tu: after we came out of the tunnel trailing me :grin:

My conclusion: When a Ninja H2 driver puts his thumb up you know you have a sweet sound coming out of your exhaust.:laugh:

·
Registered
164 Posts
C63's

Maybe the easiest solution is to save up for a SL65 AMG V12 twin turbo. I saw one last fall as my wife and sat at an outdoor pub in Kennebunkport last Oct. A newer SL65 idled in, the driver (a lady) picked up a to-go order and drove away. Sounded sweet, looked sweeter in dark gunmetal grey. I mentally added one to my bucket list.

Irish

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've found the C63's to be brutal on power delivery, noticeably quickly than the 55 aswell. You'll always be playing catch up with a C63 though, they are very easy to extract power from for a quarter of the price of the 55. Only issue with 63's now, more so the coupes is they have developed a reputation that I'd rather not be associated with :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Purchasing a good second hand C63 in the UK will also be a problem. So many of them have been purchased on lease, trying to find one that hasn't been thrashed is gonna be difficult.

It might not have a retractable roof, and there's too many mod cons in the cabin for me, but boy, what an engine >:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts