Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a wife and teenager in the house, I find myself acting as the unpaid taxi driver and I end up waiting around in the car a fair amount. I thought it would be great to pass away the waiting time by watching some of the movies that I have on my PC. The ideal would be to play videos from SD card through the Comand system - sadly not possible. However I do have the Media Interface fitted in my R172 and therefore Video Aux is enabled, so I got to thinking about finding a workaround solution. My requirements were:

* Able to play all major video formats (mkv, mp4, mov etc) directly from SD card without needing conversion
* Support composite video output
* Good video playback quality
* Inexpensive - ideally less than GBP 50
* Small - not too bulky or obtrusive
* Easily removable

I started looking at media players, but most were too large and required a mains adapter. I needed something small which would run from USB power. I found the Cyclone Micro 3 from here:

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player Adapter with 8GB Internal Storage - Black | MICRO 3 BLACK 8gb | Novatech

which seemed ideal. I already have the standard Mercedes Aux cable (one of the three supplied cables) which creates an aux-in socket in the centre console. This aux-in socket supports video as well as audio via a 3.5mm jack. The Cyclone Micro 3 outputs composite video output via a 3.5mm jack. If the wiring was the same (which was not guaranteed) then a 4-pole 3.5mm male-to-male lead might work and avoid the need to use bulky RCA (yellow-red-white) cables. I decided to order this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00WSR3S0C?ref_=pe_385721_51767431_TE_dp_1

which looked like it might work. It had to be 4-pole and not the more common 3-pole (which is audio-only). Also I wanted the shortest lead I could find, to avoid excess cabling needing to be stored. I connected everything up and luckily it all worked perfectly and picture quality is good. The unit is powered from the USB socket and can be operated by the supplied remote control. You can connect the Cyclone Micro 3 to a PC and it has 8GB of internal storage which appears as an external flash drive. But it is easier just to insert and remove an SD card with your video files as needed.

The result fits reasonably neatly in the centre console (see image):

1. The standard Mercedes Aux cable, plugs into the centre console socket
2. The aux socket, into which the 4-pole 3.5mm cable fits
3. The supplied power cable which fits into USB socket
4. The AV out socket, into which the 4-pole 3.5mm cable fits
5. The removable SD card

Regards,
Malcolm

Attachments

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
Nice idea, maybe, but far too complicated for me! Besides, my SD slot might be taken for something else:smile:

Now, if you want to tax your prowess and answer at least ten questions in the past on this: please look at reversing cameras! I bet like me you have the capability in the head unit, just needs activating and hooking up to a camera. What I and many others want to know is what camera and how (ie where is the connection point)?

This camera looks the part, but I have not a clue what to do with it!
http://streetguardian.info/sg-89f-mini-size-fixed-mount-camera.html

·
*Premium Member
2012 SLK350
1,372 Posts
Nice idea, maybe, but far too complicated for me! Besides, my SD slot might be taken for something else:smile:

Now, if you want to tax your prowess and answer at least ten questions in the past on this: please look at reversing cameras! I bet like me you have the capability in the head unit, just needs activating and hooking up to a camera. What I and many others want to know is what camera and how (ie where is the connection point)?

This camera looks the part, but I have not a clue what to do with it!
SG89F ? Mini size fixed mount camera
Did you check out this thread?
http://www.slkworld.com/general-modifications-r172/73770-rear-camera-info.html

·
*Registered
2014 SLK250
1,001 Posts
I think I am losing the plot altogether!

Yes, it was that same thread that started my idea of doing the mod!

Now, I will swear blind that only the first few posts were there when I first read it, and was annoyed it stopped half way through! Today, I see it all there!

So yes, thanks WhiteRabbit! the write up that Dsr compiled, I thought, should be a sticky...

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
>> Nice idea, maybe, but far too complicated for me!

Actually not complicated at all, since everything is "plug-and-play" - so no mods needed. That's what attracted me to this solution.

But, to your point, I believe that installing a rear camera uses up the video aux input so it's one or the other but not both. I'm still very new to owning an SLK and I find it significantly easier to park than the Mercedes CLS I had before. So rear camera isn't a priority for me right now, and the 'play videos from SD card' alternative is quite useful to me and well worth the total cost of GBP 35. If/when I get fed up with it, I'll just re-use the media player indoors so there's no downside for me.

Regards,
Malcolm

·
Registered sold my 2014 SLK250 CDI
121 Posts
Just use an iPad ! As for the camera question any camera will do size and location are the most important mine gives clear picture even at night and cost £10 from Amazon .:smile:

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
>> Just use an iPad !

Yes, that's fine especially if you already have the videos ready to go on the iPad. I tried doing exactly that. Personally, it drives me a bit crazy physically connecting the iPad to iTunes and also having to transcode some videos that the iPad won't play directly (which takes forever). Then transporting the iPad back and forth to the car. Also there's trying to find a comfortable position to balance the iPad in the SLK to watch. But definitely it's a solution of sorts.

I prefer the convenience of using an SD card. Very easy to copy videos from PC or Mac. And you can use the Comand screen with the sound playing through the car's sound system. I've got movies and TV shows in 720p format and they look and sound great in the SLK.

Just wanted to pass this on in case it's of interest to anyone.

Regards,
Malcolm

·
*Registered
2015 SLK250d
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>> Plug'n play - how those words are guaranteed to raise my stress level - I am the one person that will make a mess of downloading an app onto my iphone..!

You do yourself a disservice - we were able to make some neat stuff work on your Mac :)

Regards,
Malcolm

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
52 Posts
Long time ago I know. But just to say I'm now trying to re-create your video streaming solution but this time with the next generation of player that claims to do miracast. I'll post what I find...just waiting for a cable to arrive.?

·
*Premium Member
2013 SLK350
2,196 Posts
I had video in motion and Nav entry in motion enabled on mine via a software upgrade to NTG4.5 (R172 MY2011-2015). Cost was $170. Now my car allows video/movies while the car is at rest or in motion... ditto for Nav address entry. Have had it for >2 years now and no issues whatsoever.

Link here

Reactions: Meek

·
*Registered
2011 SLK350
52 Posts
With a wife and teenager in the house, I find myself acting as the unpaid taxi driver and I end up waiting around in the car a fair amount. I thought it would be great to pass away the waiting time by watching some of the movies that I have on my PC. The ideal would be to play videos from SD card through the Comand system - sadly not possible. However I do have the Media Interface fitted in my R172 and therefore Video Aux is enabled, so I got to thinking about finding a workaround solution. My requirements were:

• Able to play all major video formats (mkv, mp4, mov etc) directly from SD card without needing conversion
  • Support composite video output
  • Good video playback quality
  • Inexpensive - ideally less than GBP 50
  • Small - not too bulky or obtrusive
  • Easily removable

I started looking at media players, but most were too large and required a mains adapter. I needed something small which would run from USB power. I found the Cyclone Micro 3 from here:

Sumvision Cyclone Micro 3 Media Player Adapter with 8GB Internal Storage - Black | MICRO 3 BLACK 8gb | Novatech

which seemed ideal. I already have the standard Mercedes Aux cable (one of the three supplied cables) which creates an aux-in socket in the centre console. This aux-in socket supports video as well as audio via a 3.5mm jack. The Cyclone Micro 3 outputs composite video output via a 3.5mm jack. If the wiring was the same (which was not guaranteed) then a 4-pole 3.5mm male-to-male lead might work and avoid the need to use bulky RCA (yellow-red-white) cables. I decided to order this:

3.5mm to 3.5mm 4-Pole Audio Cable for Turtle Beach® Gaming Headsets - Gold Plated: Amazon.co.uk: PC & Video Games

which looked like it might work. It had to be 4-pole and not the more common 3-pole (which is audio-only). Also I wanted the shortest lead I could find, to avoid excess cabling needing to be stored. I connected everything up and luckily it all worked perfectly and picture quality is good. The unit is powered from the USB socket and can be operated by the supplied remote control. You can connect the Cyclone Micro 3 to a PC and it has 8GB of internal storage which appears as an external flash drive. But it is easier just to insert and remove an SD card with your video files as needed.

The result fits reasonably neatly in the centre console (see image):

1. The standard Mercedes Aux cable, plugs into the centre console socket
2. The aux socket, into which the 4-pole 3.5mm cable fits
3. The supplied power cable which fits into USB socket
4. The AV out socket, into which the 4-pole 3.5mm cable fits
5. The removable SD card

Regards,
Malcolm
Hello

I followed your guidance and now can watch films while I wait during my taxi service too. I used the cyclone 4 as the three is discontinued. I had to make a small cable to power it as they no longer supply a separate usb lead based psu. They've added features such as streaming from a network which I'll never use and mobile screen mirror which is awful and I'll never use. Other than that all good. Thanks for posting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.