Mercedes SLK World banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some circular play in my steering column. This makes the turn signals and cruise switches sloppy. I took the steering wheel and clock spring off and as you can see, the collar that the switch/clockspring assembly bolts to it "wiggles". As shown here:

Video

Does this look normal? I'm guessing it screws on, as I don't see any set screw. However, the wiring harness on the right, I can't figure out how to remove. As shown in the picture here. Any suggestions?
White Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light Automotive design

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was able to get the plug out, but the part with play in it only turns a little, it's not "screwed on". Anybody know if this play is normal? I would expect a set screw or something to prevent it from turning, as that part that's wiggling is the only thing the main assembly bolts to.

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
177 Posts
It is a common issue, there is a set screw, but that is holding the stalk assy to the hub you are moving in the video, I read somewhere here on the forum someone solved this by super-glueing it to the column....

·
*Registered
2005 SLK350
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I see that one, but as you say, it only holds the stalk assy to the hub, it doesn't prevent the hub from moving. You'd think there would be a set screw to hold the hub in place.

·
*Registered
2006 SLK280
704 Posts
Give the man the link to your article, at least, if it is still doing the job ;)
It was a while ago, I dont remember where to find the link. Anyway, it is still work! but be aware that the plastic shrout (steering column cover) is still loose. When I tightened the screw, it stripped/cracked (plastic)... so no help. I have this problem with both the slk and the w211.

also, if you decided to use super glue.... make sure you dont need to remove it again! I had to pour in lots of acetone, scrubbed when I removed it again....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts