Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While visiting some friends in Greenville, SC, I took an impromptu drive through Pisgah National Forest followed by a run down the Blue Ridge Parkway into Asheville, NC.

It was a great run that easily rivaled trips I used to take with the SoCal group. Tight, winding turns in some places with sweeping turns and views on Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a very long drive from NY, but the local roads were excellent.

Any members in this area aware of these roads?

Attachments

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,349 Posts
Looking at your map your missed the real good road. It is US 129 runs between TN and NC. It is called The Tail of the Dragon. It is only 11 miles across the mountain from TN to NC. In that 11 miles there are 318 curves. NC does not allow tractor trailer trucks as the curves are that sharp. My wife will not allow me to do it any more. She made it one time and said never again. It is motorbike road with sport cars mixed in. If you are down that way again you need to check it out.

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap ? Motorcycle and sport car tourism serving Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap, Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner28, Devils Triangle, Diamondback, Blue Ridge Parkway, and more.

·
Premium Member 2013 SLK250
2,349 Posts
Over the years have traveled the BR Parkway from the start in NC into Virginia and continued on the Skyline Drive to it's northern end. It is a long slow drive as the speed limit on BR is 45 for 469 miles and Skyline is 35 for 106 miles. Need to plan on a few days for the entire trip as you will need to add time for stops for sightseeing.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Its ok, typical eastern Appalachian mountain scenic routes. Overlooks are nice in the fall but views while driving are limited and obstructed most of the time. I find Colorado to have the most spine tingling, wide open views, and hair raising drives in a convertible without all the stopping to basically see the same thing around a different corner. It gives whole new meaning to "I can see for miles and miles". It is also more isolated and makes for more unobstructed, fun driving without having to worry about the local fool hillbilly flying around every corner because they do drive crazy on those mountain roads in shinny town high on the mountain dew:grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts