Mercedes SLK World banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirelli to Michelin tyres

9K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  ryasotharan 
#1 ·
Time for new rear tyres at moment have pirelli 245 40 r17.
Had them less than 3 years and done less than 10.000 miles .

Now looking at changing them for mitchellin pilot sport 3 exact same size .

For £115.00 each

Any experience on these tyres and im really hoping will last longer and they tick the box for wet grip but my car dont go out in the rain . :grin:

#3 ·
Have Michelin's on my rear. lasting longer than other brands.

#4 ·
Could not be bothered to walk over to car again it was bad enough to get the right size :grin:

Leaning towards mich as my previous ones lasted 8 years on my 170 .
They look as if they protect the rims a bit also .
My pirellis only lasted less than 10.000 miles and are nearly on limits . :surprise:

#5 ·
I had Michelin Pilot before they lasted for 10 years and the profile was still good.
I had to change them because of rubber use on the flanks. Could be dangerous.
I have Continental now since some weeks and happy with it. It's a hard tire and the SLK feels good on the road. Even in heavy rain.
The Michelin felt to soft bu maybe it was the age.:frown:

#31 ·
10 years is pretty old for a tyre. But Conti's? I always valued them very high until I read this post in a thread on a Dutch MB forum.
As you're from Belgium you probably can read the Dutch, but for those who don't, the guy that wrote this is mechanic at a MB dealer and says he sees this problem dozens time a year, only with Conti's. Always on low profile tyres.It is also mentioned on other German forums. Always was a big fan of Continental but now? Hmmmm don't know... I stick with Michelin's.

#6 ·
Personally I prefer Michelin to Pirelli any day, but as I said, it's a personal preference !

The best relation price/quality/durabilty I've found is with Hankook tyres....although they've gone up in price lately.

The best prices I've found lately are on Pnuesonline !

#9 ·
I've tried them all, pretty much

on my saloons and estates, and really rated the Falkens, Kumhos and Avons over the Pirellis, Barums, and Michelins, but not by much, I have to say. However, that was for fairly tall section 16's on saloons and estates. My SLK had Michelin PS3 on the front, and Continentals on the back, I swapped the conti's after about 5,500 miles ( near the end of their useful tread) for PS3's....fantastic improvement in quietness and grip. Could just be down to deeper tread, but I'm a believer on keeping the same rubber on all four corners if possible.
So far, 2000 miles in, I can't fault them.

#11 ·
Mabel came with Conti 3's which I replaced, when needed, with Goodyear F1's. Didn't like them (though they'd been great on my Z3), so tried Conti 5's. They seemed to wear quickly, so have now switched to Michelin pilot sports. Seem quieter and I am a lot happier with the grip I'm getting from them. :smile:

#29 ·
with my other cars I had always put on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2, Porsche 911, Audi A5 3.0tdi cabriolet, Merc CLK55AMG, Audi RS4, and found them to be great. I will be changing the rear tyres on the SLK55 and was going to put them on the Goodyears, what didnt you like about them on your 55?
Thanks

#12 ·
I had super pilot sports and They are harder than pzeros, therefor they last longer but they have less grip! I have changed the fronts already to pzero and am now frying the rears to put the pzeros on aswell. The 350 has not enough grip in tight corners with the michelin imo...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

#24 ·
I put Michelins on the BMW when the Contis that were fitted ran out of tread and never looked back. Great grip in the wet, quieter running with good life and they've saved me having a nasty accident on two occasions. Ran the Rover on Michelins too.

I've currently got P7's on the back of my 320 and will be replacing them with Michelins when the time comes (and hopefully reduce the tyre noise in the car at the same time).

~savcom

#26 ·
this comparison doesn´t seem to be one answer solution. On porsche and ferrari forums everyone agrees on the Pzero being the superior one in terms of grip. On another site they did a test and this came out:

Best tyre for dry roads
Pirelli P Zero Corsa

Best tyre for wet roads
Hankook Ventus S1 evo2

The most comfortable
Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Bridgestone Potenza S001

The lowest wear
Bridgestone Potenza S001

The quietest tyre
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
Bridgestone Potenza S001
Pirelli P Zero Corsa

#34 ·
I'm Flemish also. So I can speak and read Dutch. I am living in Belgium near Ieper or Ypern the city you know from WWI. Winters are not that cold but it sure is a lot better in Spain.

Thanks for the link Sneaky Pete. I have the Conti Sport Contact. They say they use or tear after 20.000km. It will be 4-5 years for me.
After reading this an the German forum links I will watch the tyres closely.
If something goes wrong I have a good tyre dealer and he certainly will help me out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.