Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2008 SLK 280
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will soon need to refit the summer tyres to my 2008 ('58) SLK 280 but notice that they have barely 3mm tread left.

Currently I'm running Pirelli P Zeros, 245/40 R17 (91W) rear
225/45 R17 (91W) front

Any ideas on replacing these with another brand, ie Michelin ?
I must add I've had no problems with the Pirellis and am only
looking for new ideas ! :smile:

·
Premium Member 2008 SLK55 AMG "Mabel"
15,357 Posts
I've ran Continentals Contact 3s and 5s, Goodyear F1s, and am now using Michelin Pilot Sports. I can't fault them for grip, but I've noticed my petrol usage has gone up slightly. Small price to pay for the added confidence I have in the wet. :smile:

Reactions: Keith Robin

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,407 Posts
I've had OEM Pirelli PZero when I got the car 9 years ago, but quickly changed them after one year to Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics. I've also tried Kumho.
Currently on Michelin Pilot SuperSport on all four corners.
I am most pleased with the Michelin Pilot SuperSports, performs better than the Goodyears and better wear. Not at all pleased with Pirelli's or Kumho's.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Bridgestone.
image.jpg

Or 17" check it out.

·
Super Moderator UK SLK 55 AMG 2007
28,748 Posts
Fitted Michelin a short while ago and very happy with them.

Not used winter mode since. Always summer and not one traction control moment.

Can't speak for longevity, or MPG. More interested in grip.

£375 for all 4 and £50 love to shop vouchers. So £325 real cost.

·
Registered-sold my '55
905 Posts
Currently I am keeping the ContiSport Contact 5P on mine but I will have to look at changing them for next year...been ok so far but like you I might look at another brand.

I am certainly no auto engineer but are the cars not set up with a certain tire / tyre at the point of manufacture and by changing the tires the handling etc take on different characteristics? Most of the MB's have Continentals, while some models have Bridgestone and even Michelin, so I assume the set up on each model is different from the other.

Does anyone know how certain tires are chosen? And does it affect set up if the type of tires are changed without making adjustments to the cars set up? It might be worth exploring if you are going to change brand.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've just put a couple of Hankook Ventus Prime 2 on the back of my recently aquired 230. I have pirelle's on the front but these will be changed for Hankook when they wear down. I have a full set on my VW and rate them rather highly for a good value mid range tyre.

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
89 Posts
I recently installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on all 4 corners and don't have any complaints in the 1k miles I've put on them. The previous tires on the car when I bought it were shot... down to the steel belts on the inside edge of the right front; so, I really don't have anything to compare to on this car. I've used Michelin tires on three other cars with great success.

BTW... any alignment tips on how to improve on the known inside front tire wear on these cars?

·
Registered 2016 SLK55 AMG
89 Posts
I recently installed the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on all 4 corners and don't have any complaints in the 1k miles I've put on them. The previous tires on the car when I bought it were shot... down to the steel belts on the inside edge of the right front; so, I really don't have anything to compare to on this car. I've used Michelin tires on three other cars with great success.

BTW... any alignment tips on how to improve on the known inside front tire wear on these cars?
PS: Love Pirelli tires on my bikes!!! That's all I put on my motorcycles...

·
Registered 2008 SLK 280
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Davie.

Wet weather driving not too much of a problem as in winter I fit the Vredestein Quatracs.
In summer I only drive when weather is good (hence the low mileage)

Looks like it may be Michelins.
The recommended ones for the car are Primacy, but the Pilot Supersports look nicer.
Your reason for getting the latter ?

·
Premium member 2001 SLK320
801 Posts
I also have PS3's all round

the car feels really planted with them. I'm not sure they were available when our 320's were made, but Primacy's certainly were, as I fitted some to my C280 back then.

I had a 'moment' in the unexpected blizzard we had here a few weeks ago which caught me out. it also caught out nearly every other car and van and truck heading up that hill at the time. However, once I'd got going again thanks to a push from another motorist, they were fine. In normal conditions around here ( torrential rain) they are really confidence-inspiring.:grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.