Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cath and I, along with a long time buddy and his wife (they own a Cayman) took a busman's holiday to Stuttgart to see THE museums. Flew into FRA, rented a Focus "kombi", drove down through Heidlburg to Stuttgart. We rented a nice little apartment in Wangen, right across from MB.

The first day was MB - very well done; 7.5hrs and both wives and the Porsche guy thoroughly enjoyed it. Porsche was day 2, 4.5hrs. Both well done and very impressive. Restaurants at both locations were quite good and not overpriced.

Our return took us north to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (very very old town) where we stayed overnight. We made a brief stop in Wurzburg then overnight in Mainz before flying out.

Happy to fill in more details or pass on how/where we booked and ate.

·
Founding Member
4,599 Posts
Sounds like a great trip so far. I enjoyed my stay in Germany when I picked up my car in Singdelfingen. Any pics?

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Can't wait to read more details and maybe see some photos. Sounds like an incredible trip!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I try and sort out my foto problems...straw poll on what details you'd like? Scenery was amazing. We went up to the Schloss at Heidlburg - great views, gardens. We had some pretty nice meals along the way as well.

The little Ford (turbo diesel) hauled the four of us and bags admirably. I despise GPS lol. On the last leg from Wurzburg to FRA, we were motoring along comfortably at 150-160km/hr. The ladies, in the rear seat, were muttering quietly about the un-godly speed.

I was on exchange with the Luftwaffe and know to pay as much attention to the rearview as out the windscreen. We were overtaken, not aggressively, by a 911 cabriolet driven by a youngish gent. As I watched it slowly disappear ahead I noticed a 6 series Audi (turned out to be a "kombi") gaining on us. I said to my buddy Peter, "Watch this!" Two seconds later the Audi blasts past us as if we were in reverse; about 5 seconds after that, his brake lights came on brightly and stayed on as he whistled up behind that 911, which I'd guess was 2km or more down the road. Amazing.

·
Sadly Gregg has passed away
2,432 Posts
Oh Yes!!! Awesome pictures!!!

As for details.....I would like to know a little about accommodations and meals. Were you well received by MB?

·
Super Moderator 2010 SLK300 2LOOK
14,230 Posts
John, the pics are great! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time...thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We should have taken a few of the flat. It was very nice; second floor a block off the main street. Two bedrooms, kitchen, dining area, bit of lounge area, and a small balcony (we four managed breaky there both mornings). Kitchen was well equipped. 110euro per night for all four of us.

We got groceries for breakfast each day and some...beverages for the end of the day.

First night's dinner was "typical" schnitzel, with mushroom/onion sauce and spatzel (schwabish short noodles) and a nice salad. The hostess was originally greek and a real hoot.

Night two dinner was very good - it is/was spargel (white asparagus) season...very very good. Some very nice local white wine in a very quaint local place...the four of us crowded around the table. Great fun. Peter and I were thrilled that the gals really enjoyed the long day at the museum.

Night three turned out to be Maifest - a spring celebration. The little canton we were in closed the main street and fired up schnitzel and wurst on the grills. Lots of local wine and beers as well.

There were three venues for music including "Joe Tex"! Rodeo buckles, boots and stetsons...background of US state flags (including Hawaii, you can't get further west than that!). And he was singing what we Canucks would call maritime or kitchen music - first song was "Whiskey in the Jar". We'd all lived in the Maritimes and thought it was a hoot to hear the music - with us singing along! The locals were line dancing to it!

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drive up to Rothenburg was very nice...if we'd had more time we'd have taken an extra day - I believe AMG is somewhere in the area between the two.

Cath and I had visited Rothenburg several times while I was on exchange with the Luftwaffe. There's always something going on, lots of shops, super architecture and history.

We stayed in a smallish Gasthoff just outside Rothenburg at the Schwarzes Ross (old deutsch for black stallion). The inn keeper recommended dinner at the next village -assuring us it was within walking distance. It was a pleasant walk, but the troops were near mutiny. "Kismet" must have been with us, as the inn wasn't closed yet, and they were happy to host us. We had a fantastic meal (the family has had the inn for close to 150 years. The Schwan I recall). The server (who had literally been hired off her bike the year before) and chef joined us for a chat an aperitifs.

Next day took us to Wurzburg and the Bishop's Residence - a palace like arrangement. It wasn't quite tourist season so it wasn't fully open. We had a nice meal down at the river - great food and scenery, but the service was so so at best.

Our last night was in Mainz. We marched up to the Eisgrub, a local craft brewery and restaurant situated in several caverns. I had/shared schwein haxe (smoked pork hock) which was massive.

Really must take better notes and more fotos! Please ask questions or links to the restaurants/accomodations.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,295 Posts
Great pictures John...looks like a wonderful trip!

·
Fanatical Member-sold-->2010 SLK300
3,419 Posts
Thank you for sharing! Looks like it was a great trip. Love the pics. and the narratives.

·
Premium Member
6,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We should have taken more pictures of the scenery - the weather was wonderful, Germany had a very warm spring, and we had 25C and sunny skies every day. The countryside was exploding in green.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts