Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered 2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Next big project on the go. Does anyone have pictures of what the inside of the pointy end of the front wings are meant to look like? Mine have rusted to the point there isn't much left. I can see at least one bolt hole but should there be others etc?

Registered 2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. Got all the rust out now but that leaves most of the front inner pointy end on the floor, the rest was surprisingly good condition. The other side not so much though. Looking forward to breaking out the old mig welder!

Premium Member 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
It's much better / easier to just fit new Wings ;)

It's a lot of work to get 'em right, also the rust will only come back again sometimes in very short order depending how good the repair is ;)

Whatever you do seal it up really well from behind before Paint, I always use "Stonechip Paint" on the inside of front and rear Wings / Arches, then spray with clear Waxoyl before fitting ;)

HTH ;)

Registered 2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter #6
It's much better / easier to just fit new Wings ;)

It's a lot of work to get 'em right, also the rust will only come back again sometimes in very short order depending how good the repair is ;)

Whatever you do seal it up really well from behind before Paint, I always use "Stonechip Paint" on the inside of front and rear Wings / Arches, then spray with clear Waxoyl before fitting ;)

HTH ;)
It's as much something to do in lockdown as anything, I can't find facelift wings either and don't want the hole...... You know what I mean. However I did see some GRP ones which is super tempting as they will never rust. Quite cheap too.

Registered 1997 SLK230K
Keep us posted if you go for the GRP. I was tempted but have put it on the back burner, mainly because the rust on mine seems to be under control at least for another year or so due to the diligence of a previous owner.

Registered 2000 SLK230
Discussion Starter #8
Keep us posted if you go for the GRP. I was tempted but have put it on the back burner, mainly because the rust on mine seems to be under control at least for another year or so due to the diligence of a previous owner.
I've got my spares I'm restoring. Taking the rust out, filling or welding in new and then using a rust prevention primer. The grp people still haven't got back to me yet but I'll update if they do

Thanks ;)

If it is one of those I think I'd rather by facelift wing from MB ;)

I do like the Bonnet and the Fog-light Bumper however :D :D :D

I wonder how well they actually fit ??????????????????

Registered 1997 SLK230K
Note:- This is the price for a pair......
And it's also worth mentioning that there is an ebay shop Janne Autoteile which sell GRP parts. It's worth checking the videos posted by a customer on YouTube. Quite a lot of pre finishing might be required before one can start painting.:rolleyes:

Mine will only need Right wing, so may as well buy from MB. It had just had left one when I bought the car ;)

The Bonnet and Bumper, IDK, suppose I could always send it back if it's :poop: , just thought it'd look cool on my V8 Brabus replicar ;)

Reactions: Squishband

* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
Thanks ;)

If it is one of those I think I'd rather by facelift wing from MB ;)

I do like the Bonnet and the Fog-light Bumper however :D :D :D

I wonder how well they actually fit ??????????????????
I'm gonna hazard a guess and say as with most grp items the fit will be馃挬
And I would not want to be doing the prep and paint..probably be cheaper in the long run to go genuine 馃

Registered 1997 SLK230K
Worth referencing this post as well
The product with and without the fancy flairs on the side are still on eBay. Unfortunately the OP doesn't seem to be around but I guess the parts were reasonable or he'd have likely said?

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say as with most grp items the fit will be馃挬
And I would not want to be doing the prep and paint
Yeah, couldn't agree more especially with the front wing, last time I enquired I can get Genuine Right front MB Facelift wing for around 拢230 on my Trade A/c, which is what was fitted on the left side when I bought the car.

However, there is nothing wrong with my Bonnet or Bumper, but they are standard Facelift items, I just really like the look of that Fluted Bonnet and the Bumper with the Foglights ....

It would make the car stand out, but yeah, it will be me who is prepping and painting it, and it would end up binned if I couldn't get it all to fit correctly ;)

The product with and without the fancy flairs on the side are still on eBay. Unfortunately the OP doesn't seem to be around but I guess the parts were reasonable or he'd have likely said?
Yeah, I fitted GRP Wings on my Triumph TR8 when I built it, they weren't too bad, but that was a long long while ago, there is much more :poop: about these days ;)

IDK, I'll make me mind up when the time comes ;) Like I said earlier, can always buy 'em and send 'em back if I don't like the quality ;)

Reactions: Squishband

* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
Yeah, couldn't agree more especially with the front wing, last time I enquired I can get Genuine Right front MB Facelift wing for around 拢230 on my Trade A/c, which is what was fitted on the left side when I bought the car.

However, there is nothing wrong with my Bonnet or Bumper, but they are standard Facelift items, I just really like the look of that Fluted Bonnet and the Bumper with the Foglights ....

It would make the car stand out, but yeah, it will be me who is prepping and painting it, and it would end up binned if I couldn't get it all to fit correctly ;)

Yeah, I fitted GRP Wings on my Triumph TR8 when I built it, they weren't too bad, but that was a long long while ago, there is much more :poop: about these days ;)

IDK, I'll make me mind up when the time comes ;) Like I said earlier, can always buy 'em and send 'em back if I don't like the quality ;)
I never saw the pics..but the bottom pic looks rather tasty! 馃槏..I dunny like the louvered(top pic) bonnet though馃あ

馃檪馃槈

Funny, I kinda agree, definitely like the Bumper, that's one of the nicest looking ones I've seen for R170 ;)

Not sure about the Bonnet, but being as my whole Car is aggressive with a chuffin' great V8 in it, it is something I may like to see on the Car and "in the flesh" so to speak :)

Reactions: Slik hot

* Registered
2005 slk 280 6 mt
Yeah I know what you mean..and if they where open louvres it would certainly help with venting that extra heat from that v8,I just prefer the sleeper look馃槈
Its always nice having the surprise element!馃榾

1 - 19 of 19 Posts