Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are finally updating our 2006 SLK 350 and getting an SLC 300 R. Picking it up in just a couple of hours. Will be fun to have all the new gadgets. I got the wood trim and was a little disappointed that the steering wheel did not have it too. I find the leather slippery compared to the "plastic" over the wood.

And I didn't like the panorama roof that comes by default. I had to pay extra to get a metal roof. And it is black on our red car which I'm not crazy about.

Hopefully those are the only things I'll be a tad disappointed in. Excited to go pick it up.

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,379 Posts
Congrats! so don't forget to update your profile :D :D
Pics also!

·
Banned
974 Posts
We finally updating our 2006 SLK 350 and getting an SLC 300 R. Picking it up in just a couple of hours. Will be fun to have all the new gadgets. I got the wood trim and was a little disappointed that the steering wheel did not have it too. I find the leather slippery compared to the "plastic" over the wood.

And I didn't like the panorama roof that comes by default. I had to pay extra to get a metal roof. And it is black on our red car which I'm not crazy about.

Hopefully those are the only things I'll be a tad disappointed in. Excited to go pick it up.
Red with black roof will give it a very classic & different look from all the other SLC's, more so with some interior woodwork. Think of all the old British sports cars that had wooden or wooden effect dashboards & matching steering wheels & gearknobs, black soft tops or black removable hardtops.
BUT if it's NOT the classic look that you seek .........................enjoy whatever.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
We finally updating our 2006 SLK 350 and getting an SLC 300 R. Picking it up in just a couple of hours. Will be fun to have all the new gadgets. I got the wood trim and was a little disappointed that the steering wheel did not have it too. I find the leather slippery compared to the "plastic" over the wood.

I think wooden steering wheels make it really hard to comply with the current crash test regulations.

I would love to see pictures of the metal roof as well as we cant get than in the UK. We can only get a clear dark glass panel with a blackout liner and a solid trim panel inside.

I'm sure you'll love it.

·
Premium Member 2012 SLK350
1,365 Posts
I think wooden steering wheels make it really hard to comply with the current crash test regulations.

I would love to see pictures of the metal roof as well as we cant get than in the UK. We can only get a clear dark glass panel with a blackout liner and a solid trim panel inside.

I'm sure you'll love it.
I'll bet that the roof is not metal but really glass as it is on the SLK version of the R172.

·
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So got the car. Been reading the book and playing with the electronics.

I had a friend of a friend who wants to buy the 2006 SLK 350. I THOUGHT the service guy told me at 80,000 I should have the timing belt and water pump replaced. The mechanic for the guy who is buying the car said there is a timing CHAIN and not a belt. What is required servicing at 80,000? The timing "chain" or just the serpentine belt and the water pump? The service guy said that whichever it was would cost about $1000-$1500. The guys mechanic says if it is the chain, it would be more like $2500. So I'm hoping the service guy either said the wrong thing or I heard the wrong thing and it is the serpentine belt.

What do you think?

·
96,379 Posts
I think you should update :D
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350

·
96,379 Posts
I also think you do not need to change either at the moment
the v belt is the name and just have them check the condition and tension of it

check your maintenance manual :D

·
96,379 Posts

·
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, thanks for the link. What thing drives the water pump? Is that the serpentine belt? If so then I think he is all set. But if the chain drives the pump, then I think the service guy was saying to do the chain.

How would one know if the chain needed replacing?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Timing chain is inside the engine.
Serpentine belt drives the alternator, water pump and a/c condenser (don't know if MB changed the a/c condenser set-up or not, recalled reading it may be all electric driven, but may be dependent on model year).

At 80,000 miles, the transmission needs some servicing (change transmission oil and filter), actually every 40K miles.

·
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for reply. The guy had his mechanic come. He listened to see if could hear any noise from the chain. It was quiet so replacing the chain isn't going to be a problem. And the belts may be fine too. Not sure if I misunderstood the service guy or misheard him, or just misremember it. But glad it won't be a problem for the buyer.

The car still LOOKS really great. Really happy with the 10 years with the SLK.

Just got back from a drive with the SLC. Felt really nice on the road. Plenty of get up and go for me. Played with changing the "dynamic" settings. Could definitely feel the difference between the settings.

Does anyone know where the speakers are? I tried to find in the manual, but didn't really find them. I don't think it has the bass speaker behind the passenger seat like the SLK had.

·
2,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I re-read the invoice and it just says "Black Roof w/ Headliner". I think it is glass. That is what it looks like to me. I suspect they just took the panorama roof and painted the inside. It does have a headliner all across the inside top.

·
96,379 Posts
you get your free datacard?

you update your profile yet? :D :D :D :D
Vehicle: 2006 SLK 350

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Does anyone know where the speakers are? I tried to find in the manual, but didn't really find them. I don't think it has the bass speaker behind the passenger seat like the SLK had.
The R171 had the bass speakers together with midrange speaker in the doors.

The small speakers at the rear of the cockpit (2: one each near the seat belt egress area, another 2 on the vertical storage area if you had the harmankardon option) just add some "dimension" to the music experience but they are not bass speakers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.