Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Just joined these forums as a new SLK owner and didn't expect to have to post a question so soon!

As the title of this post says, I picked up a 2007 SLK 350 last Friday from a Mercedes dealer here in the UK. There were 9400 miles on the clock and there are no stamps in the service book.

I've done maybe 75 miles in the past 5 days and the last time I started the ignition I had a message saying SERVICE C DUE IN 30 DAYS.

My immediate questions are:

- What is service "C", and if there had been "A" and "B", why are there no stamps in the book?

- Does it sound reasonable that I should be faced with this service within a few days of buying the car as part of MB UK's Approved Used scheme? Specifically, the vehicle went through MB's 'multi-point check' before it was sold.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Stu55y

D

·
0 Posts
Service C just indicates the time required to carry out the service, you are on the first service mileage range so i wouldn't be overly concerned about any stamps or lack thereof in the book at this point.

I'd have to check but i don't think dealers are required to carry out services as part of the AUC process but most do it as a matter of courtesy since they have a tech on it anyway to certify it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a similar experience. I bought the car with 3000 miles on the clock and 500 miles later it needed a service. When I asked the dealer whether or not they do a service before the car is sold he said "no".

·
Registered
157 Posts
The UK website said until very recently that any service required within 3 months or 3000 miles would be covered. Interestingly I have just checked and I can't find it on the site anymore. Worth quoting this to them and see what they say.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought my Approved 280 a few months ago with a little over 3000 miles to a B Service. I was told that as it had more than 3000 miles to Service they would not carry out the Service as part of the handover procedures, although if it had less than 3000 miles to Service it would have been mandatory under MB terms. If I were you I would try to press your Dealership.

My Dealership has been very good ever since and when they noted a similar absence of detail in the Service Booklet they chased up the the Dealers in Scotland where the car had been serviced and got them to update the Service Booklet accordingly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to say that I raised this with the dealer that sold me the vehicle and they were very reasonable about it and have offered to come and pick up my car and take it to be serviced (no cost), leaving me with a courtesy car. They all but admitted that the need to do a service should have been picked up before they handed the vehicle over to me, and also that it's pretty poor for a "service due" message to show up within 3 days of it being purchased. So, some negligible inconvenience whilst the car is being serviced, but otherwise I am happy.

Thanks all for your feedback. Apart from the servicing issue I am very much enjoying my SLK, having come from an Audi TT, which I had no end of problems with. I'm hoping that the SLK will be slightly more reliable....

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
Glad it's sorted :tu:

·
aka John
13,012 Posts
Glad to hear you got your service sorted. I've had nothing but excellent service from MB Bromley as well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.