Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided I like my SLK55 too much to put 15-18,000 miles on it every year, so I picked up a daily driver to keep the SLK55's mileage lower so I can keep it longer.

It's a 1999 C280 Sport with the V6 M112 engine. Similar to the SLK320 motor, just a 2.8L version. 66,000 miles and just had the 65,000 service done (oil, trans fluid, pads and rotors.)

There's a lot of sand in the interior from the previous owner going to the beach a lot. It's going to get a good interior cleaning today. The next step is a full detail similar to what I did with the SLK a couple weeks ago. In the picture, the car needs a wash, but I just used SONAX wheel cleaner and a wheel brush to get the wheels shiny again, including the inner barrel.

She's in good shape for a 14 year old...

Here's a link to my SLK55 detail results:
http://www.slkworld.com/caring-your-slk/44753-detailed-my-black-07-slk55.html

·
Registered
154 Posts
No disrespect intended, but I like mine so much I put 25k miles a year on her and enjoy each and every one! If I get to the point that I think she is used up (200k+?) then I shall lay her to rest and find another.
Life is too short for a "daily driver"...
The only downside to my plan is unfortunately there are only so many manuals available. Perhaps in 6 years I will get a 55 and the V8 will make up for the auto... don't truly know, but in the scheme of lifes problems, this is a great one to have.

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
None taken. My '55 is autocrossed every other week and ill still drive it regularly. Most of my driving though, is in bumper to bumper traffic (Honolulu is 2nd only to LA in traffic.) Also, I park in a tight parking garage every day where he '55 has been dinged at least once a month for the past year.

To be honest though, an extra perk of having this car is that it's another car I can work on. I enjoy maintaining my cars and fixing what needs to be done. Not to mention is a 4 door with a big trunk. Practicality will come in handy. I can go mountain biking without scratching up the SLK trunk with a trunk bike rack. I can park at the beach without scraping in the sand parking lots.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I see your point - and I'm sorry for your congested commute. My commute is so incredibly suited for the SLK that I sometimes forget how fortunate I am.
Autocrossing is something I should try again. Years ago did a few with my MR2 Turbo but then kids and familly forced me out of a 2 seater. Now that I'm back I'll have to seek one out. Are there any durability issues re autocrossing I should be concerned about? I've heard it said that Mercs are more delicate than they used to be but people say that about many brands.
Hope your C sooths your commute and is enjoyable

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just finished a full autocross season. 12 events of 4 competition runs each, multiple fun runs after each event, a 25-30 run autocross school, and each run being 30-40 seconds. No issues with the car, other than more tire wear than normal of course.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm fortunate that I don't have to work - so no commute - so my SLK is my everyday car and I enjoy it every day. When it's no longer viable, I'll get another one!

We are getting a car thrown in with the house we're buying in Spain and I'll use that for picking up guests from the airport and shopping trips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts