Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that tires have been a recent topic but I put this here just to change the message under this heading
A # 10 screw about 1"1/2 long found the very center tread on the left rear tire Mich--Pilot Sport 285/35/ZR18 ==$553.64 USD this really sucks it only had 2100 miles on it -- but I don't trust plugged tires.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Sorry to hear that..

However, I would've just plugged the tire. Of course, I can understand your concern but how did it come out to $553?! I'm guessing you went thru the dealership. You coulda/shoulda just plugged it temporarily then went to Tirerack or America's tire. You would have saved $200.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually went to big o but that includes tax mounting balancing and plugging the bad tire -- so by the time you add this to the other prices 350.00 and 373.00 respectivly plus freight and the time involved to recieve them then take to the shop and have them mounted(I know you can ship them direct to the store) and I would have to do this cause I couldn't haul them in the Cruzer anyway this way may have cost me 50 to 60 dollars more but the convience was worth it to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Plugged tires?

I had a stout nail in between treads on a rear tire last year. I'm not sure how long it was in there but when I swapped my winter wheels and tires I found it. I pulled it and the tire went flat immediately. The local dealer plugged it for me and I left it pressurized all winter without any air leak. I've put about 3000 miles on it this spring and summer and it is holding pressure just fine. So, I have pretty much forgotten about it and expect to get a normal lifespan mileage out of it. What's the worry?

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts
I've bought several sets of tires from America's Tire Co. for my other cars (mainly because they fixed my first flat tire for free even though I haven't bought any tires from them). They will evaluate the puncture to see if it's amenable for repair. They remove/dismount the tire from the wheel, plug if necessary and then use a rubber compound to seal the puncture from the inside, rebalance the wheel and tire after they've been mounted together. All this for free, plus they're open 7 days a week. This is convenient and for some reason, I usually notice a flat tire on weekends.

·
Premium 2006 SLK55 AMG (Kleemann K2)
10,723 Posts
Why is it that expensive to fix, just yesterday had my right front tyre punctured in the Cayenne and got it fixed for around $ 15 over here.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats the price of the new tire +++ I could have ran with the plug but I was in the tire business for a few years and about 50% of the plugs fail and with these cars if you have a flat in the middle of no where you can put the spare on and then what do you do with the flat tire? Could call Mercedes but they would just change the tire same with AAA they may haul in the flat, Anyway the way I drive (ask a few of the guys R)) I just don't trust the plugs and feel safer with tires that I know ( think ) are good ---- when it comes time for replacement I will get the all seasons and a better price ---- with a better wear factor also

·
10,723 Posts
Why not Runflats ? I think they have been proven to be good. If there has been any case of emergancy or such you can drive the car back home at a speed of 80/kmh for a few miles.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Yeah, I'm a big fan of America's Tire co. I recently bumped a curb. Barely scratched the rim but the front tire tore open. That's what you get with 235/35/19. Anyways, AT didn't even question the tire damage. They simply ordered another one and I'm getting it mounted Wednesday after my wheel is done getting refinished. That tire would have cost me another $300+

Like I said, I'm a big fan of AT. I've been using them for over 10 years. You just have to ensure the right guy is working on your car. Don't want a newbie scratching the wheels.

·
Premium Member 2017 SLC 300 Founding member #7
2,158 Posts
Why not Runflats ? I think they have been proven to be good. If there has been any case of emergancy or such you can drive the car back home at a speed of 80/kmh for a few miles.
I've heard the equipment to change them is expensive and, consequently, harder to find when you need them because not everybody gets the equipment. Also, I've heard that the handling is not as good.

·
Founding Member #2 2008 SLK55 AMG
19,400 Posts

·
10,723 Posts
I've heard the equipment to change them is expensive and, consequently, harder to find when you need them because not everybody gets the equipment. Also, I've heard that the handling is not as good.
What I know is that road noise is much much more, lack of manufacturers providing the same spec for your car. For instance for the SLK I can go for Michelin PS2's , Good year F1's , Perilli P-zero's or even steck with the oem Continental's. Whilst Runflat equipped BMW's or Mini Cooper's lack the availability to compare manufacturers as there might be 2-3 suppliers in the same size and spec's. In addition to the lack of supply, this is a problem for Lamborghini Murcielago owners. I know a person who has a 03 Murcielago and was back ordered 3 months for the rear tyres as they were out of stock

·
Don - Founding Member #4
5,857 Posts
I had a stout nail in between treads on a rear tire last year. I'm not sure how long it was in there but when I swapped my winter wheels and tires I found it. I pulled it and the tire went flat immediately. The local dealer plugged it for me and I left it pressurized all winter without any air leak. I've put about 3000 miles on it this spring and summer and it is holding pressure just fine. So, I have pretty much forgotten about it and expect to get a normal lifespan mileage out of it. What's the worry?
:tu:I agree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.