Mercedes SLK World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering what the most cost effective upgrades for performance are for a 320 slk

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
96,352 Posts
320 (M112)
Kleemann offers some of the best tuning solutions for the supercharged 32 AMG, as well the normally aspirated 320 V6 engine.The wide range of products for the supercharged version found in the C and SLK 32 AMG starts with the 32-K1 kit’s redesigned crank pulley and upgraded ECU and and can be elevated even further with the 32-K2, or range topping 32-K3 package. Whether its a simple ECU tuning for a C320, or a full 32-K3 kit with a specially modified factory dampened pulley, tubular stainless steel headers and proprietarily ground camshafts, you can always find a combination of products to suit your needs and budget. The available tuning components address all aspects of the engine and represent a “Stage” tuning concept ranging from K1 to K3.
The normally aspirated 320 V6 M112 engine found in many early C, CLK, E, ML, S, SL and SLK models can have up to 270 HP and 360 Nm (267 lb-ft) of torque from our wide range of normally aspirated tuning products.
320 (M112)
320-K1: ECU tuning. Up to 240 HP and 335 Nm (248 lb-ft) of torque.
320-K2: K1 + high flow stainless steel exhaust headers. Up to 255 HP and 355 Nm (263 lb-ft) of torque. (NOTE: Not for SLK 320).
320-K3: K2 + super sport camshafts. Up to 270 HP and 360 Nm (267 lb-ft) of torque.
32 AMG (M112K)
32-K1: Boost kit (revised ECU software and a modified factory dampened crank pulley). Up to 404 HP and 500 Nm (370 lb-ft) of torque.
32-K2: K1 + high flow stainless steel exhaust headers. Up to 420 HP and 530 Nm (393 lb-ft) of torque. (NOTE: Not for SLK 32 AMG)
32-K3: K2 + super sport camshafts. Up to 435 HP and 560 Nm (415 lb-ft) of torque.

·
Premium Member 2001 SLK200K/2001 SLK320
1,789 Posts
Hi I was wondering what the most cost effective upgrades for performance are for a 320 slk

Hi @Brian731

Jeff has got the Kleeman route for performance upgrades spot on (also look up Needs Wings for other goodies).

However, the most "cost effective" performance upgrades that you can do without spending a bundle is to follow the advice from TVT Designs and cherry pick s/h parts from other same-era MB's.

See - THIS THREAD - and - THIS THREAD -

The '6 loves to breathe but is severely hampered by the relatively small stock airbox and filters.

Therefore IMO, the number one thing to do to start with is to swap that out for a 'box that utilises the much larger A112094004 filters such as the CLK320/S320/E320 etc. and you've immediately got 25% bigger intakes (60mm v 75mm) ? ? :cool:

Note: I have it on good advice that the M113 'boxes also fit and use the same filters but the nose part of the engine cover is longer in order to encompass the two extra cylinders .. :geek:

·
Registered 2002 R170 SLK V8 5.0
2,594 Posts
Looking forward to seeing how this pans out ;)

Did you see my route ;) ...............

V8 ....

302 BHP and 460 Nm a conservative MB Quotation for the bone stock M113 5.0 litre ...........

By the time it's in and set up with single High Perf CAT's, decent Exhaust and a bit of "SDS Developer" Ignition and Fuelling optimisation it should be kicking out around 350 BHP and circa 500 Nm ?

@M4rCu5 and @jbanks15 have now got me curious as to how much Kleeman would charge me for a USB Stick with the Flash File on it for my R170 ECU, and what that would likely give me ...............

Hmmmm, I feel an E-Mail coming on :D

Helluva a lot stronger Engine than the M112 too ;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to go your route and drop a 5l v8 in her but unfortunately finances wont allow that I've got to stick to my 3.2l to be tuned

·
2,594 Posts
Hi Brian,

I'm not sure it has cost me as much as a bunch of Kleeman Goodies ;)

I paid £500 for an S Class parts donor car ;)

An old CLK 500 would be a better bet as the diff would likely fit the SLK ;)

·
Registered 2001 SLK320
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
As soon as I've sorted the respray to sort the rear arches and new wings I'm thinking that could be the way to go as a remap is half that price to gain a mere 20 bhp I'm loving the idea of a 5l v8 for £500

·
2,594 Posts
Hi,

Forgive me if I'm trying to tell "Grandma how to suck eggs", as I have no knowledge of your Facilities and Mechanical / Electronic knowledge ;) .............

£500 gets you started with Major Assembles and bits, and you could likely recover your £500 by selling on Modules etc that you won't need for the R170 Project. I also have a w220 S Class, so I kept all the goodies for spares ............

I have no idea what I have spent so far, and no wish to go back and find out :eek:
However that said it isn't "telephone numbers" :)

Read my thread from Day 1, and make notes, digest it, understand it ;) Plenty of guys have given up on this. The big Tuners who have done a handful of LHD Cars will not help you they will just try to sell you this and that. Us hot rodder's are "Not Worthy" ?

You are in UK, so being a RHD Car you will face 2 big issues .........

1) The "Engine ECU / Immo / Start Crank Cruise" problem, which having spent about a month of spare time doing R&D I can now sort for you via post if needs be.

2) The other issue, which I didn't find out until very recently is the Starter Motor needs to be relocated on the Left Side of the Engine, but I managed to overcome that with a lot of diligence / patience / and a lack of a decent machine shop in my locale who could machine the Blocks Starter Motor register on the left.

There are some good Engine machine Shops certainly in South England area who could likely do that for you :) It is also possible that something V8 in UK that has a Steering Box would come from the factory with a Left Hand Starter Motor perhaps the same vintage circa 2001 / 2 CLK 500 's for example.

The other stuff in my thread like bigger Brakes and Android Head Unit etc etc you would do whatever Engine you had, especially Brakes if Tuning the V6 to any decent Power Level.

My biggest fear of Tuning a V6 is that after a small power increase, (say 20 - 30 BHP), if you go much more I am certain it would go Bang !!

I know the figures that the V6 Kompressor Engines turn out look good, but internally the AMG's are not a bone stock M112 there is a lot of stronger / more exotic parts, same with M113K Engines, but to a lesser extent because they are stronger to start with ;)

Perhaps pay me a visit when my Car is OTR this summer, we have some excellent B&B's locally and some stunning drives for you to explore with your Car.

Let us know whatever you decide, I like many others here am interested in anything non standard be it L4, V6 V8 etc etc ;)

I'm going to start my (phase 2) Body Resto next winter once the Mechanical / Electronics is 101% finished, less chance of a scratch / knock etc whilst working on it lifting Engine, leaning over Wings etc etc ;) My Car doesn't look too bad right now, yeah, it's excellent underneath having been absolutely smothered in Waxoyl by it's PO (from 3 years old) but it's got it's little scabbies starting in the usual places ;) I'm currently starting a collection of "Rust Free" Bolt on Panels, which conveniently on an R170 happens to be all of them apart from the Rear 1/4 Panels ;)

HTH,

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
94 Posts
I have a 320, can’t afford to swap a v8, but I’ve been looking at upgrades that won’t break the bank. The main things I’ve come up with are,
Intake: either DIY with aluminum tubing or buy from needswings. Needswings kit comes with a few things that make it worth it such as higher flow maf housing/ comes with instructions and explains how to reroute power steering lines.

74mm throttle body: bought a used one off eBay for $20 shipped, going to install this week.

Eibach sport springs/SLK32 amg roll bar to stiffen things up a little, the eibach springs have been on sale recently for less than $350

exhaust: haven’t planned that far, going to focus on paint after intake/TB

·
Registered 2004 SLK320
94 Posts
Hi,

Forgive me if I'm trying to tell "Grandma how to suck eggs", as I have no knowledge of your Facilities and Mechanical / Electronic knowledge ;) .............

£500 gets you started with Major Assembles and bits, and you could likely recover your £500 by selling on Modules etc that you won't need for the R170 Project. I also have a w220 S Class, so I kept all the goodies for spares ............

I have no idea what I have spent so far, and no wish to go back and find out :eek:
However that said it isn't "telephone numbers" :)

Read my thread from Day 1, and make notes, digest it, understand it ;) Plenty of guys have given up on this. The big Tuners who have done a handful of LHD Cars will not help you they will just try to sell you this and that. Us hot rodder's are "Not Worthy" ?

You are in UK, so being a RHD Car you will face 2 big issues .........

1) The "Engine ECU / Immo / Start Crank Cruise" problem, which having spent about a month of spare time doing R&D I can now sort for you via post if needs be.

2) The other issue, which I didn't find out until very recently is the Starter Motor needs to be relocated on the Left Side of the Engine, but I managed to overcome that with a lot of diligence / patience / and a lack of a decent machine shop in my locale who could machine the Blocks Starter Motor register on the left.

There are some good Engine machine Shops certainly in South England area who could likely do that for you :) It is also possible that something V8 in UK that has a Steering Box would come from the factory with a Left Hand Starter Motor perhaps the same vintage circa 2001 / 2 CLK 500 's for example.

The other stuff in my thread like bigger Brakes and Android Head Unit etc etc you would do whatever Engine you had, especially Brakes if Tuning the V6 to any decent Power Level.

My biggest fear of Tuning a V6 is that after a small power increase, (say 20 - 30 BHP), if you go much more I am certain it would go Bang !!

I know the figures that the V6 Kompressor Engines turn out look good, but internally the AMG's are not a bone stock M112 there is a lot of stronger / more exotic parts, same with M113K Engines, but to a lesser extent because they are stronger to start with ;)

Perhaps pay me a visit when my Car is OTR this summer, we have some excellent B&B's locally and some stunning drives for you to explore with your Car.

Let us know whatever you decide, I like many others here am interested in anything non standard be it L4, V6 V8 etc etc ;)

I'm going to start my (phase 2) Body Resto next winter once the Mechanical / Electronics is 101% finished, less chance of a scratch / knock etc whilst working on it lifting Engine, leaning over Wings etc etc ;) My Car doesn't look too bad right now, yeah, it's excellent underneath having been absolutely smothered in Waxoyl by it's PO (from 3 years old) but it's got it's little scabbies starting in the usual places ;) I'm currently starting a collection of "Rust Free" Bolt on Panels, which conveniently on an R170 happens to be all of them apart from the Rear 1/4 Panels ;)

HTH,
The v6 seems pretty capable of handling more power, this guy in youtube did all the bolt on mods, throttle body, intake and exhaust. Also a major weight reduction, and NITROUS. It seems to handle the nitrous surprisingly well,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts