Mercedes SLK World banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still trying to get my 2001 SLK320 transmission sorted out. Shifts great when placed in drive, both up and down, and touch shifter works the way it should up and down through gears. Only problem is when I step down to floor on accelerator pedal and engage passing gear, it stays in passing gear and will not shift up to next gear, no matter what. Pull over, shut off engine, remove and reinsert key and start car, and all is as it should be and shifts fine both automatically, and with touch shifter. Does this every time I step down to passing gear. I have searched and researched and have not found any info similar to my problem. Checked passing gear button under pedal and it clicks up and down without sticking, and lastly no codes shown. Transmission fluid is full and appears and smells fresh. Anyone experience anything like this, or know what possible possible problem is?

·
Administrator 2009 SLK 55 AMG/Founding Member 2006
97,344 Posts
Smells fresh? but when was it changed last? any idea?

·
Super Moderator CA 2012 SLK55 AMG w/P30
13,799 Posts
Fluid change is more than just dumping/refilling (ie: "smells fresh" ) :wink:.

Found something similar to your problem (diff model) on the "other" site.

Also, have you tried the transmission reset as found here? It's worth a try even though you say it works normally otherwise.

Also, isn't there a solenoid (attached to engine block) that is involved with the actuator button under the pedal which might be faulty?

Reactions: VeroWing58

·
Premium Member 1999 SLK 5.4 M113
1,440 Posts
sounds like a conductor plate issue in the transmission. My SLK(430) wouldn't shift out of 2nd when the accelerator was past 3/4.

very common issue from what I've read.

basically, it sounds like it's going into soft limp-home mode due to a fault. and that usually causes it to be stuck in 3rd or 2nd. ("passing gears")

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Service records show dealer transmission service at 96,984. Car currently has 118,165, so only 20,000 since serviced. Because transmission shifts flawlessly when placed in Drive, or when using "touch" shifter up and down through gears, I'm thinking this is some sort of electrical issue instead of a mechanical one. While doing some research on this I came across a video showing a shift module located on outside of trans that person indicated can stop passing gear from activating, but didn't mention it causing trans from shifting out of passing gear. I'll research threads provided here, and not step down into passing gear for time being. Any further info will be greatly appreciated. Mike

10/23/2012
96,984 mi
Mercedes-Benz of Coconut Creek
Services Performed
Maintenance inspection completed
Air filter replaced
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Front brake pads replaced
Rear brake pads replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Driveshaft checked
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed